Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st Creamsicle #1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
I have been meaning to write this story for a year now, so here it goes. It may take awhile because I am a three to four finger typist. And thank god for spell check.

August 2022, I get a text message form Dion Ronin (Dion's endeavor) that there was a Creamsicle on the Hagerty website for sale at an auction in Main, at Owls Head Transportation Museum. Dion said you already have one you should look at this one. Most of the 914 MOB guys around here are always ribbing each other about crap and LE's are a topic they always pounce on me about.
So I look! Sure as shit there it was. Jeff Bowlsby posted that he saw this car back in 2005 in California and that it was sold to a guy in Vermont around that time. He also said that the advertised vin number is incorrect! The last two numbers are transposed making this the FIRST Ceamsicle produce and its on the registry as such. DAM I hope Sienfeld doesn't hear about this was one comment on 914world. Sooo off to Main I go telling my wife I am going to look at a job, which I always do when on the hunt for cars or parts biggrin.gif I arrive in Main and get a Sam Adams Boston Lager and a lobsta sandwich. Sitting by the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away the Tuesday night before inspection opens for the auction.
I looked at all the cars the next day, trying not to lust to much over the 914. I kept looking at adjacent cars every time someone would inspect the 914 to hear their comments. A few said lets bid up to $2500 because there is water in the trunk! I thought that was great, because its not leaking out and that's a good thing I said to myself. I inspected the car on my back crawling under as far as I could with nobody watching. WOW no rust, super clean suspension and a super exhaust system and it has the original holy grail front spoiler. Not a pretty car by no means but solid as they come and a LE and #1. I look at the engine and dam, its some kind of race engine and the serial number starts with RAT. Stupid me says to myself its not a Raby engine because that would be RAB and not RAT. I know I am and idiot. At the time. I was a little disappointed that it did not have the original engine, but more about that later.
I give my $100 deposit to bid via phone on Friday, we will call you don't call us they said. This was the Friday one week before Labor day weekend I think. On Friday all of the auto memorabilia was on the schedule and just 7 cars. So I don't get a call till 4:00. Sir please stay on the line for item # 453. Now by 4:00 in the afternoon most people are having their Sam Adams beers and a lobsta sandwich. So there were probably just two or three people bidding. So I kept saying yes,in $500 increments hoping that Sienfield wasn't one of the bidders. Not that he would stoop that low to buy something like this but you never know I kept thinking. Bam you got it states the person on the other end. YYAAAHHHOOOO . smilie_pokal.gif

I do the wire transfer on Monday and drive back up with my trailer and my two brothers on Tuesday. We pick it up and yes its running no need for the winch, holy crap. We start driving back home but its been a long day so we get a hotel. While sitting out back of the hotel having a few Sam Adams beers and looking through all the paperwork I find that the past owner was William Twigg Smith. I goggle his name and wow their family helped Hawaii get their independence from the royal government that they were under in the early 1900's. Bills father wrote a book about it called "Sovereignty" the truth of what really happened.
I also found all the receipts from Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing. Also all the notes and sketches on wiring etc by Ed Morrow who worked at tangerine racing at the time and who built the car for Bill Twigg Smith.

Ed got to drive in the car with me at this years NEG Northeast Gathering in the Pocono mountains (hills) of Pennsylvania.

Bill had passed in 2016 I think and was a recluse type billionaire who's family had extensive real estate in Hawaii and Vermont. There were also letters notes etc. between Bill and Jeff Bowlsby among the paperwork Jeff later sent me all the correspondence that he had with Bill back in 2005-2007. Thank you very much Jeff! Bill stated that he would never race the car and would not be going to shows because he is a very independent person. Bill wanted a strong car to drive the back roads and hills of Vermont. He would also never do anything that could not be easily reversed because it is an LE car. Among the other cars that were sold at the auction I later found out (28 in total) were from Bills collection. All at no reserve.
Three had raby engines one a concours winning 76 911 and one a Karmen Ghia.

So once we got the car home I contacted Chris Foley who got me in touch with the caretaker of Bills cars in Vermont. I asked the caretaker if he knew were the original engine was. His answer was I might. Soooo grab some cash and drive to Vermont. On my way to Vermont I stopped by at Tangerine racing to drop off some philly soft pretzels to Chris and talk about this car some more and its past owner. Once in Vermont at the caretakers shop there is the original engine in the same box that Chris Foley put it in when he shipped it 15 years ago.

Back to the car. Dion comes over and I had already cleaned out the gas tank and filled with fresh fuel and was getting ready to start the car. We started it up and it ran a little rough. We determined it was just a bad wire and a bad plug. Four new wires and four new plugs and its been running ever since.

Still looking for the manuals that go with the raby engine. I contacted the estate and they searched in Vermont and in Hawaii. No luck as yet.

Thanks to Dion Ronin, Jeff Bowlsby, Chris Foley and Ed Morrow for all their input on this great car.

Pictures to follow.
TonyA
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 30 2023, 06:54 PM) *

I have been meaning to write this story for a year now, so here it goes. It may take awhile because I am a three to four finger typist. And thank god for spell check.

August 2022, I get a text message form Dion Ronin (Dion's endeavor) that there was a Creamsicle on the Hagerty website for sale at an auction in Main, at Owls Head Transportation Museum. Dion said you already have one you should look at this one. Most of the 914 MOB guys around here are always ribbing each other about crap and LE's are a topic they always pounce on me about.
So I look! Sure as shit there it was. Jeff Bowlsby posted that he saw this car back in 2005 in California and that it was sold to a guy in Vermont around that time. He also said that the advertised vin number is incorrect! The last two numbers are transposed making this the FIRST Ceamsicle produce and its on the registry as such. DAM I hope Sienfeld doesn't hear about this was one comment on 914world. Sooo off to Main I go telling my wife I am going to look at a job, which I always do when on the hunt for cars or parts biggrin.gif I arrive in Main and get a Sam Adams Boston Lager and a lobsta sandwich. Sitting by the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away the Tuesday night before inspection opens for the auction.
I looked at all the cars the next day, trying not to lust to much over the 914. I kept looking at adjacent cars every time someone would inspect the 914 to hear their comments. A few said lets bid up to $2500 because there is water in the trunk! I thought that was great, because its not leaking out and that's a good thing I said to myself. I inspected the car on my back crawling under as far as I could with nobody watching. WOW no rust, super clean suspension and a super exhaust system and it has the original holy grail front spoiler. Not a pretty car by no means but solid as they come and a LE and #1. I look at the engine and dam, its some kind of race engine and the serial number starts with RAT. Stupid me says to myself its not a Raby engine because that would be RAB and not RAT. I know I am and idiot. At the time. I was a little disappointed that it did not have the original engine, but more about that later.
I give my $100 deposit to bid via phone on Friday, we will call you don't call us they said. This was the Friday one week before Labor day weekend I think. On Friday all of the auto memorabilia was on the schedule and just 7 cars. So I don't get a call till 4:00. Sir please stay on the line for item # 453. Now by 4:00 in the afternoon most people are having their Sam Adams beers and a lobsta sandwich. So there were probably just two or three people bidding. So I kept saying yes,in $500 increments hoping that Sienfield wasn't one of the bidders. Not that he would stoop that low to buy something like this but you never know I kept thinking. Bam you got it states the person on the other end. YYAAAHHHOOOO . smilie_pokal.gif

I do the wire transfer on Monday and drive back up with my trailer and my two brothers on Tuesday. We pick it up and yes its running no need for the winch, holy crap. We start driving back home but its been a long day so we get a hotel. While sitting out back of the hotel having a few Sam Adams beers and looking through all the paperwork I find that the past owner was William Twigg Smith. I goggle his name and wow their family helped Hawaii get their independence from the royal government that they were under in the early 1900's. Bills father wrote a book about it called "Sovereignty" the truth of what really happened.
I also found all the receipts from Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing. Also all the notes and sketches on wiring etc by Ed Morrow who worked at tangerine racing at the time and who built the car for Bill Twigg Smith.

Ed got to drive in the car with me at this years NEG Northeast Gathering in the Pocono mountains (hills) of Pennsylvania.

Bill had passed in 2016 I think and was a recluse type billionaire who's family had extensive real estate in Hawaii and Vermont. There were also letters notes etc. between Bill and Jeff Bowlsby among the paperwork Jeff later sent me all the correspondence that he had with Bill back in 2005-2007. Thank you very much Jeff! Bill stated that he would never race the car and would not be going to shows because he is a very independent person. Bill wanted a strong car to drive the back roads and hills of Vermont. He would also never do anything that could not be easily reversed because it is an LE car. Among the other cars that were sold at the auction I later found out (28 in total) were from Bills collection. All at no reserve.

So once we got the car home I contacted Chris Foley who got me in touch with the caretaker of Bills cars in Vermont. I asked the caretaker if he knew were the original engine was. His answer was I might. Soooo grab some cash and drive to Vermont. On my way to Vermont I stopped by at Tangerine racing to drop off some philly soft pretzels to Chris and talk about this car some more and its past owner. Once in Vermont at the caretakers shop there is the original engine in the same box that Chris Foley put it in when he shipped it 15 years ago.

Back to the car. Dion comes over and I had already cleaned out the gas tank and filled with fresh fuel and was getting ready to start the car. We started it up and it ran a little rough. We determined it was just a bad wire and a bad plug. Four new wires and four new plugs and its been running ever since.

Still looking for the manuals that go with the raby engine. I contacted the estate and they searched in Vermont and in Hawaii. No luck as yet.

Thanks to Dion Ronin, Jeff Bowlsby, Chris Foley and Ed Morrow for all their input on this great car.

Pictures to follow.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=894
893]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
TonyA
Miles of smile picture taken by Ed Morrow.

Thanks Ed
DennisV
Great story Tony.
JeffBowlsby
CS #1 is in good hands Tony. You definitely scored on this one.
krazykonrad
That is way cool! Keep those pics coming. beerchug.gif first.gif
SirAndy
cheer.gif
BeatNavy
Thanks for sharing the story, Tony! Great find buddy beerchug.gif

And it's good to have good 914 friends like those guys you mentioned. Well done, fellas.
Dion
beerchug.gif Cheers buddy! Couldn’t have a better custodian than you mate. That is a nice strong engine in there.
Smiles per miles indeed. first.gif
StarBear
Love happy stories. Goes to show what a strong community we have. Some $, research, and assistance then Viola! Another 914 and LE back on the road. Enjoy another bottle of your 914 Brewing Creamsicle Ale, Tony! You deserve it.
Well done!
Maltese Falcon
Great backstory on your acquisition, and the right people here on World to help it along ! Our light ivory 1970 (Sonauto) car was also hiding in plain sight in a museum in Germany. Lucky for the (previous) owner that his "Car chaser" was smart enough to look there, strike the deal and ship the car here to the States biggrin.gif
Enjoy the smiles per miles !
mate914
About time Tony. Show the 914 world your gem.

Matt flag.gif
East coaster
Very cool
ejm
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 30 2023, 07:13 PM) *

Miles of smile picture taken by Ed Morrow.

Thanks Ed

Let's do it again next year!
FlacaProductions
Ahhh - fantastic! I remember when this car originally came up here - nice job!
infraredcalvin
Love it! Well done! Ongrats!
bkrantz
Wow
914-300Hemi
Congrats and great story
TRS63
What a great story and what a cool car, well done!

Antoine
Porschef
Great story Tony, good luck with the car! beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
Hey Tony!!! this is such an awesome story! WOW!! might be a top 5 914 story for sure!
It would be cool for you to bring that to Okteerfest to display next year, since the focus will be on the LE ! to have the # 1 would be so super even if you cant drive it, bring it!!
You were telling me some of this when we were visiting at okteenerfest, nice to hear the rest of the story.

Looking forward to its resurrection!

Phil
TonyA
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 1 2023, 07:51 AM) *

Hey Tony!!! this is such an awesome story! WOW!! might be a top 5 914 story for sure!
It would be cool for you to bring that to Okteerfest to display next year, since the focus will be on the LE ! to have the # 1 would be so super even if you cant drive it, bring it!!
You were telling me some of this when we were visiting at okteenerfest, nice to hear the rest of the story.

Phil

Phil that’s the car that I had at Octeener fest this year. Like I said not pretty everyone just walked by it. Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
What a terrific story; congratulations on your find and purchase Tony. beerchug.gif
jhynesrockmtn
Excellent story. Congrats!
rgalla9146

Great guy, great story smilie_pokal.gif

Interesting LE front spoiler...prototype ?
rjames
Damn, that is a great story. Amazing that you were able to get the original engine, too.
Thanks for sharing!!
TJB/914
QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 1 2023, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 1 2023, 07:51 AM) *

Phil

Phil that’s the car that I had at Octeener fest this year. Like I said not pretty everyone just walked by it. Click to view attachment

Congratulations Tony first.gif
Put that Saratoga top on it for more attention next time:rotfl:
Dion told me about your LE when he picked up his OEM windshield from me.
You East Cost guys including Ed Morrow are special friends pray.gif
Tom

DC_neun_vierzehn
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
wonkipop
nice write up @TonyA

........and nice car to get hold of.

if i had been there to see it you would not have found me "walking by it".
there is a lot to be said for survivor cars that have made it through half a century carrying their history and still intact though they may have departed along the way from fresh out the factory door state.

its a fantastic object/relic/usable car and its great that #1 has survived.

out of interest @JeffBowlsby . has #1 BB survived?

its kinda nice that the first LEs look like they were the orange ice-creams.
not that there is anything wrong with bumblebees. but i like the ice-creams.
mepstein
As I told Tony, I like the fact that when he found a car that he thought might be special to him, he went after it. No BS. beerchug.gif
OrangeBones
Tony let me drive #1 home from the NEG when my cone screw backed out. He trailered mine home and I had a ton of fun with the Raby. When he got it home I was the first to see it and couldn’t believe how much of a score this thing was. Tony’s attack dogs cornered me on his trailer while I was looking over it. drooley.gif
Unpretentious
Tony,

What a great story! I have one of my own, though because I wasn't as knowable as you my immediate outcome wasn't fortuitous as yours.

It's interesting how Creamsicles elude those who aren’t looking for them. About 20 years ago bought a off-white 1974 914 2 liter from Ohnstads wrecking yard in Fresno. I didn’t know much about the car except that it was a 2 liter and the engine was sitting on the ground next it. I paid $1,000. At the the time I also had a 1.7 car that needed work. I sold the ‘74 to my car restorer friend Ray, a machinist, thinking if he got interested in 914s he could help me with on my other car. When Ray came to pick up the car he noticed that there was a spot of orange on one of the rockers where the black paint had flaked off. He asked me if was like that on the other side. It was! He then asked if there might be orange paint under the black painted bumpers. There was! Ray had done his research and thought it might be an L.E. It was!! I told him, “if you ever decide to sell the car, give me first dibs.” Well,... Ray restored the car and decided to sell it after his wife told him that it was “too small” for her to comfortably ride in. I bought the car back from Ray, for considerably more that I sold it to him for, but have enjoyed driving the car for years ever since.
TonyA
Nice. Every car has story of some sort.
TonyA
QUOTE(OrangeBones @ Dec 1 2023, 07:09 PM) *

Tony let me drive #1 home from the NEG when my cone screw backed out. He trailered mine home and I had a ton of fun with the Raby. When he got it home I was the first to see it and couldn’t believe how much of a score this thing was. Tony’s attack dogs cornered me on his trailer while I was looking over it. drooley.gif

Yea sorry about. I didn’t think you would be over that fast. I wish I took a picture three dogs snapping at your feet with you almost jumping on the hood of the car. Priceless w00t.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 1 2023, 02:33 PM) *

out of interest @JeffBowlsby . has #1 BB survived?

We may never know about BB#1 not for awhile anyways. Years ago I had made a connection at PCNA who was very helpful and did a little research on the LE cars for me. She confirmed that the first and last LE VIN in their records were 14348 and 16764.

By coincidence I had seen and documented 14348 many years ago in LA, so we can know without certainty the 14348 is the first VIN CS LE. But interestingly its chassis number at 075549 is not the first LE chassis. The earliest chassis number LE on the Registry right now, is VIN 14600, a BB, chassis #0619520. Maybe @davep can enlighten us of why that is.

Because the LE Registry is not complete to include every car and VIN and chassis number within the VIN range, its not possible right now to know the first BB LE VIN
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Congrats, certainly in good hands now! Jeff helped me rescue the Matsuda black and sunflower limited edition from Germany and it is on display here along with our Arizona white and phoenix red carClick to view attachment
Jett
Great story! I am glad that this car found the right owner!

+1 more pictures please
buck toenges
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 2 2023, 11:36 AM) *

Congrats, certainly in good hands now! Jeff helped me rescue the Matsuda black and sunflower limited edition from Germany and it is on display here along with our Arizona white and phoenix red carClick to view attachment

It is amazing how the blk ones look so much wider than the orange creamsicle. Must be the angle
SirAndy
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 3 2023, 10:48 AM) *

It is amazing how the blk ones look so much wider than the orange creamsicle. Must be the angle

Wide angle lens ...
TonyA
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 30 2023, 06:54 PM) *

Pictures to follow.

Click to view attachment
Talking with Chris Foley about the car over some Philadelphia soft pretzels.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Found original engine in the crate sent from Tangerine Racing in Conn. to Vermont
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.