Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine number missing on my 75 914 2.0
Junioren
post Jan 9 2024, 05:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,840
Region Association: None

Good morning to all of you readers.

I recently imported a 75 2.0 914. VIN and chassis numbers have been located and seem in order, however I am unable to find the engine number in its usual spot.

What could be explanations for having an engine without an engine number? When engines were replaced by VW/Porsche, would these new engines possibly have no number on them?

Thanks,
Raf (from Luxembourg/Europe)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 9 2024, 06:22 AM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Junioren @ Jan 9 2024, 04:52 AM) *

I recently imported a 75 2.0 914. VIN and chassis numbers have been located and seem in order, however I am unable to find the engine number in its usual spot.

What could be explanations for having an engine without an engine number? When engines were replaced by VW/Porsche, would these new engines possibly have no number on them?

Thanks,

I have heard that repkacement cases had no serial number.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jan 9 2024, 07:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

I had to buy a new case after a disaster. It also had no numbers.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Junioren
post Jan 9 2024, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. So in such case it is most likely to be an original engine, however one that replaces the initial from the factory?
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Jan 9 2024, 08:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Junioren @ Jan 9 2024, 05:59 AM) *

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. So in such case it is most likely to be an original engine, however one that replaces the initial from the factory?

It would be really hard to tell without more history on the car. It could very well be "original" in that it was replaced by Porsche within the cars warranty period, or someone changed it out along the way. I'd be more concerned with making sure it is a proper 2.0 and wasn't replaced along the way with a 1.7 or 1.8 by a prior owner. Others with more expertise can help on that front.

Welcome and good luck with your new car!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 9 2024, 08:57 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Did you check up at front of engine by the oil fill tower?
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 9 2024, 09:27 AM
Post #7

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

There are three locations for the engine serial #. The early version for the 1.7 & 1.8 is on that angled boss near the flywheel end of the case. The 2.0 engines have it up front of the oil fill tower. The 912E 2.0 had it on the fan shroud instead so if that was changed it may appear to be missing entirely. A factory replacement engine or a remanufactured engine from dealer network (engines were remanufactured by VW Canada in Toronto) would all have serial numbers but generally marked AT. A rebuilt engine on a new case would have no serial #. The original serial # can be determined, so if needed, then contact me by email.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 9 2024, 09:58 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

did you look down in the canyon between the oil filler and the front impeller housing?

Thanks,

+Quote Post
Junioren
post Jan 9 2024, 03:32 PM
Post #9

A sticker on the engine provides the engine family identification as "17". Does anyone have any idea whether this would be a CA or a USA-49 engine edition?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Junioren
post Jan 9 2024, 03:37 PM
Post #10

That is indeed where I checked and was expecting it, but no.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 9 2024, 04:58 PM) *

did you look down in the canyon between the oil filler and the front impeller housing?

Thanks,

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Junioren
post Jan 9 2024, 04:04 PM
Post #11

Hello guys,

I just dump the information I have but the mystery gets bigger for me:

Engine family: 17 (I thought this was only for 1976 2.0 engines) - displacement 120 CID so I believe it is a 2.0 l
Engine number (embossed in the space where the earlier engines had their number): EA013495 (so outside the known number range for the 1.7 engines)

Any plausible thoughts on what could have happened

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jan 9 2024, 06:48 PM
Post #12

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

I thought all EA code engines were 1.7? Can you post pictures of the top of the engine? The number of studs on the intake as well as the position of the spark plugs is different on the 2.0 heads. Could also be your engine is a "hybrid" of parts. A 1.7 case can be used to build a 2.0 engine. Curious to see what the final answer is....
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2024, 07:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Junioren @ Jan 9 2024, 04:04 PM) *

Hello guys,

I just dump the information I have but the mystery gets bigger for me:

Engine family: 17 (I thought this was only for 1976 2.0 engines) - displacement 120 CID so I believe it is a 2.0 l
Engine number (embossed in the space where the earlier engines had their number): EA013495 (so outside the known number range for the 1.7 engines)

Any plausible thoughts on what could have happened

the engine number is not outside the known engine range for EA engines.
the EA 1.7 was also used in USA 411 and 412 models.
the engine numbers are not sequential for 914s but are intermixed with 411/412 models.
same thing goes for the EB (73 california) 1.7 and later EC (1.8 engines) also shared with the VW 412 (at least for 74). only time the small engine becomes a 914 only engine is the 1.8 of 75.

Attached Image

i'd say the original case was destroyed (engine damage or wear) and has been replace with a 1.7 case or perhaps even 1.7 short motor? the fan casting is from the original 2.0 L engine complete with correct emission sticker for a later 2.0?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

PS don't be confused by the extra 0 in the engine numbers in the VW/Porsche parts catalogue listing. the same thing goes for the EC engines. for some reason they have a zero (or is it an O?) after EA/EB/EC in the parts engine number listing. but its not there on the actual stamp number on any engines.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jan 9 2024, 08:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Show us the heads! A 1.7 block is fine if they put all the 2.0 meat on it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 9 2024, 08:08 PM
Post #15

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Missing a couple important details to know what you have and what you should have.

Post photos of the intake manifold to head connection and general engine overall from both sides of the engine bay.
Post a photo of the label on the drivers side engine bay above the relay board.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2024, 08:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Junioren @ Jan 9 2024, 03:32 PM) *

A sticker on the engine provides the engine family identification as "17". Does anyone have any idea whether this would be a CA or a USA-49 engine edition?

engine family 17 is the 75 MY terminology for the GC-a series 2.0 L engine for 49 states of USA. 18 is the GC-b california engine of 75. the internals of the engine were the same USA and california. it was the equipment fitted to the engine that was different.
someone like @jeffBowlsby knows all that stuff. 2.0L are above my paygrade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
i do lame engine 1.8s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

another clue as to exactly what bits and pieces you might have.
if the tinware is the original 2.0 L tin and it has not been repainted there might be a white paint stencil three digit code number on it. if the tin is from a 75 49 sttates 2.0 L the number 925 will be there. on upper surface of tinware on either right or left hand side up close to where the tin joins the fan casting. usually its hidden from direct view by one or other of the heater blower motor hoses.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

PS - the other clue its not a californian 75 2.0 besides being engine family 17 is the emissions sticker notes its "USEPA" conforming. if it was a californian spec engine the sticker would say "USEPA and Cailfornia regulations".
or in this case the fan casting is USEPA conforming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 9 2024, 09:26 PM
Post #17

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

EA013495 should be an October 1971 engine, but that fan shroud was not on an engine through the 1974 model year. This leads me to believe the engine was pieced together.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 10 2024, 01:48 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 9 2024, 09:26 PM) *

EA013495 should be an October 1971 engine, but that fan shroud was not on an engine through the 1974 model year. This leads me to believe the engine was pieced together.

he has a 75 2.0 @davep
not a 74.
see first post by OP.
i think the fan shroud and sticker is likely off the original car since the emission sticker is for a 75 2.0! and also in the correct spot for a 75. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

but you are right. she has been pieced together.
somewhere along the way she has let herself implode.
why not. thats what 914s are for.
the cars are half a century old now!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

mine is about to turn 50 in two weeks time.' with its original engine.
thats never been apart. i'm thinking to myself thats pretty fricken amazing.
how did i get to here with the car and both of us stay relatively intact. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
we both must have paced ourselves. a little too conservatively?
i conclude i have not lived hard enough! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jan 10 2024, 07:55 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

One thought, it could be a 912E case. They never had an engine number from the factory. The Ljet setup was very similar to that of the 914.

I actually have a 914 engine in my 912E, but has the 912E engine shroud. The 912E engine shroud is what held the engine number for the car.

EDIT: missed davep already went over this.
+Quote Post
Junioren
post Jan 10 2024, 09:03 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 10 2024, 03:08 AM) *

Missing a couple important details to know what you have and what you should have.

Post photos of the intake manifold to head connection and general engine overall from both sides of the engine bay.
Post a photo of the label on the drivers side engine bay above the relay board.

Thanks Jeff for the info. I post some pictures from all sides.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:29 AM