Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 into LMP/917ish
nimblemotorsports
post Jan 13 2024, 08:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,793
Region Association: None

Lately I'm thinking of turning my stripped 914 into a "LMP" style body time attack racer.
Been recovering from bad Covid case, so maybe that explains it, or just that I have hours to just sit around, not to mention riding public transit for hours (probably where I got covid) since my new shop is now 35 miles away.

Anyways, I have a 74 914 with GT flares. I bought for a lemons project, and told the guy I wanted to spend only $200 on it, and he said sure, he stripped it of everything that could be easily removed but still roll. My plans for it changed, so now what?
I could sell it yes. I should just sell it. Of course I should sell it. What fun is that?

I have too many engines that nobody seems to want to buy, a twin turbo 12B rotary, a Subaru EZ30 H6, A Passat W8, and a few more.
Lately the plan is the W8 with a custom intake to show off the giant cylinder heads,
and leave the rear open so the engine exposed. This works because I have no rear trunk panel.

Nor do I have the front hood panel, nor a windshield or dash, so instead of getting these parts, I just remove the front dash, the fuel tank, make it single center seat and make some kind of LMP style canopy. 917ish or 767B also since maybe put the rotary in it...

I googled to find anyone who's done this kind of mod to a 914 'chassis' and came up with nothing. Google does not seem to be my friend anymore.

Anyways, if you think I'm going to destroy a classic here, please buy this chassis or trade me for your rust bucket and some cash. Otherwise...

Then I've got transaxle choices, I have 944 transaxle, two subaru cvt, two audi cvt, ez30 auto, audi A80 transale, audi HP19 transaxle, think that is all.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If we really want to keep the 914 super lightweight (the W8 is 420lbs..) the 250lb turbo 12A with a CVT is tempting.

I have a 67 Triump GT6 that was going to get a full hacked up single seat time attack treatments, but heck its got all the stock body panels, why not do the 914 instead?

Let's see if I can find a pic of the 914 when I dragged it home..
Oh wait that my custom MG Midget front with 3-cyl engine..
Is that that the twin turbo 12A.. Where is the 914..
That is the lemons racer mazdamaro 95 mx3 that looks like a 95 camaro z28
I know the 914 pic is somewhere...

Attached Image
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:15 PM