Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 into LMP/917ish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nimblemotorsports
Lately I'm thinking of turning my stripped 914 into a "LMP" style body time attack racer.
Been recovering from bad Covid case, so maybe that explains it, or just that I have hours to just sit around, not to mention riding public transit for hours (probably where I got covid) since my new shop is now 35 miles away.

Anyways, I have a 74 914 with GT flares. I bought for a lemons project, and told the guy I wanted to spend only $200 on it, and he said sure, he stripped it of everything that could be easily removed but still roll. My plans for it changed, so now what?
I could sell it yes. I should just sell it. Of course I should sell it. What fun is that?

I have too many engines that nobody seems to want to buy, a twin turbo 12B rotary, a Subaru EZ30 H6, A Passat W8, and a few more.
Lately the plan is the W8 with a custom intake to show off the giant cylinder heads,
and leave the rear open so the engine exposed. This works because I have no rear trunk panel.

Nor do I have the front hood panel, nor a windshield or dash, so instead of getting these parts, I just remove the front dash, the fuel tank, make it single center seat and make some kind of LMP style canopy. 917ish or 767B also since maybe put the rotary in it...

I googled to find anyone who's done this kind of mod to a 914 'chassis' and came up with nothing. Google does not seem to be my friend anymore.

Anyways, if you think I'm going to destroy a classic here, please buy this chassis or trade me for your rust bucket and some cash. Otherwise...

Then I've got transaxle choices, I have 944 transaxle, two subaru cvt, two audi cvt, ez30 auto, audi A80 transale, audi HP19 transaxle, think that is all.. smile.gif

If we really want to keep the 914 super lightweight (the W8 is 420lbs..) the 250lb turbo 12A with a CVT is tempting.

I have a 67 Triump GT6 that was going to get a full hacked up single seat time attack treatments, but heck its got all the stock body panels, why not do the 914 instead?

Let's see if I can find a pic of the 914 when I dragged it home..
Oh wait that my custom MG Midget front with 3-cyl engine..
Is that that the twin turbo 12A.. Where is the 914..
That is the lemons racer mazdamaro 95 mx3 that looks like a 95 camaro z28
I know the 914 pic is somewhere...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jack Standz
Well, I might have to accept your offer to buy the 914 shell. Are those steel flares? Send me some photos of all the usual suspect areas please.
nimblemotorsports
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jan 13 2024, 06:56 PM) *

Well, I might have to accept your offer to buy the 914 shell. Are those steel flares? Send me some photos of all the usual suspect areas please.

Thank you for your interest. Unforunately the car is now tucked up on top of another car in a storage unit with even more stuff piled on top, after I had to move my 14 cars and 3300 sf of automotive stuff into less than half the size space. But once I move onto to this project (my Scrap Rod Trike project is next so I can stop taking public transit and not pay a fortune in gas, then my 47 Willys Truck, then I can move the 914 into the workshop from storage and take good pics of it. It has fiberglass flares.

I have also been think of a crazy body design and finally found a pic of a car built how I was thinking, I knew there was at least one made this way, seems super ideal for less drag, so not so much for racing downforce, which apparantly this one was so great at it was too much to handle, but just the reduced drag. I mean the wheels have to be in the areflow, the driver and engine? Don't have to be. A rotary will fit into a very low profile.

Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Why not turn it into a 917?
Click to view attachment

I would love to see what a 914 under this could do.
Dave_Darling
That is not a 917, it is a Lazer kit. And those, even when built decently, still look like crap.

--DD
stownsen914
I did some custom bodywork on my 914 racecar. Not saying it's everyone's cup of tea smile.gif but I kinda copied some LMP features in making it. I made a plug and mold to make the nose. The rest is modified 914 fiberglass. The body is widened and lowered on the chassis. There's also a large diffuser under the rear of the car, and the entire underbody has been flat-bottomed with aluminum sheet. All a massive amount of work, guess I was feeling industrious. I'd like to do CFD on it. No doubt there are opportunities to improve it.

A few pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Of course it's a laser, but it doesn't look any worse than any of the other fiberglass kits featured above.
nimblemotorsports
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 15 2024, 05:47 AM) *

I did some custom bodywork on my 914 racecar...

Thanks for sharing. Did you find it improved top speeds with more streamlining?

Many say the 914 is like a go kart, and so my initial thought was ok, let's make it more gokart-y with a center seat and the big W8 in full view out back. As usual I can never stop thinking and leads me to the catamaran car. If going to all the work for custom bodywork and tube frames it could be anything.

The 914 suspension is simple and light and compact. I like the torsion bar setup, but it using springs on the back. Then I have the 944 with torsion bar rear...and springs in front. Always make me wonder...Specifically if you want a car that is flat as a pancake.
Is the 944 rear better than the 914?

IPB Image

btw, I also have the Audacious mid-engine 4.2L 67 Corvair project that has a 944 suspension.

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
Looks like you've been busy! The Corvair is cool.
A few thoughts:
I didn't get to do a back to back comparison of bodywork styles, as I built the car with custom bodywork from the outset.
I built my car more for downforce than low drag (though I did try to make it a streamlined shape as well). The car does seem to make good downforce, though I haven't attempted to quantify it. The first iteration had a 935 K3 nose (now highly modified). It had rails along the top of the fender lines, and it made enough downforce without a rear wing, the car became unstable above 110 mph. Any steering movement would cause the car to essentially jump to the side.
Aero drag doesn't matter a whole lot until 100 mph really. By 150 it makes a big difference. Depending on the hp you plan to make, you may or may not spend a ton of time near the 150 mark. As backyard engineers, we might be better served making the car light, handle well, give it good downforce, etc.
944 rear suspension probably is better than 914. The 914 rear suspension has lots of compromises due to packaging. Geometry and stiffness are both not optimal. I don't think 911 or 944 rear suspension would fit in a 914 with a boxer motor, but since you're looking at a different motor, it might be worth pursuing.
carr914
QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Jan 15 2024, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 15 2024, 05:47 AM) *

I did some custom bodywork on my 914 racecar...

Thanks for sharing. Did you find it improved top speeds with more streamlining?

Many say the 914 is like a go kart, and so my initial thought was ok, let's make it more gokart-y with a center seat and the big W8 in full view out back. As usual I can never stop thinking and leads me to the catamaran car. If going to all the work for custom bodywork and tube frames it could be anything.

The 914 suspension is simple and light and compact. I like the torsion bar setup, but it using springs on the back. Then I have the 944 with torsion bar rear...and springs in front. Always make me wonder...Specifically if you want a car that is flat as a pancake.
Is the 944 rear better than the 914?

IPB Image

Selling those Sport Seats?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.