Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's Six - Ready for the Next Evolution?, 3.2 Gone; 3.6 going in.
Cairo94507
post May 12 2024, 09:20 AM
Post #221

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Great; thank s again Clay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 12 2024, 09:40 AM
Post #222

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I attached the air flow sensor to the air cleaner. The MAF and air cleaner is 3.5”. The 3.2 PMS elbow and throttle body is 3”. I’m debating on extending the elbow like Sir Andy did, so I can run the idle control valve hose on top versus the bottom. Plenty of 3” intake stuff at O’Reillys and auto zone to make it work. Regarding the 1” pipe from the 3.2 elbow to the idle control valve, I cut up left over hose from the smog pump and other left over parts to extend the hose. Curious if you have to lay the idle control valve flat. I’ve only seen them horizontal on 3.2 and 3.6 installs.
Attached Image
Spectre and Home Depot 3” adapters.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 12 2024, 11:51 AM
Post #223

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

MAF just in front of the air cleaner

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1202450824.jpg)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 12 2024, 06:59 PM
Post #224

Michael

Cool, all good stuff. I heard back from the 3.6 seller (not Chris BTW) and he will check his shop for the MAF early this week and get back to me. Hopefully he can find it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 14 2024, 06:47 PM
Post #225

Michael

Today we put the distributor shaft gear pin in. You drive it in and it protrudes about 1/8" on either side. Greg used a punch and hit it to make the pin swell in the gear- that took about 1/8" of the excess off and then he ground the remainder. That puppy is not going to come out without drilling it out. We then put the new rotors on and installed the distributor after once again confirming both rotors are properly timed. Then we connected the coil wires and that was a wrap for the ignition.

Then we installed the new throttle cable clip- nice and easy.

Then we installed the new electric thermostat for the oil cooler and secured the lines to the trunk wall with a riv-nut. Nice and tidy. This thermostat will turn the fans on/off automatically. We are also going to wire switch with an LED indicator to override that in the event I want to manually turn them on/off.

Then we pulled out the transaxle to address a output shaft seal leak that we had been unable to completely stop. We installed a speedi-sleeve (Stoddard) on the output shaft and then a new seal on the transaxle and reassembled. It feels like it should not leak again- fingers crossed. Then I cleaned up the transaxle so it will be ready to install once we get the crankshaft ignition sensor bracket that we realized we were missing. Order that from Gaudin and hope to have it by the weekend. The we can install that and then install the transaxle.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 14 2024, 06:49 PM
Post #226

Michael

More:

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 14 2024, 10:28 PM
Post #227

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Looking good! Why does your transmission look so nice?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 15 2024, 06:16 AM
Post #228

Michael

Hi Andy, @Krieger - Thanks; it's a coating Mike Lesniak (Dr. Evil) applied when he rebuilt it back in approx. 2016. All we did was spray it with brake clean, lightly brush and blow it off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 15 2024, 08:26 AM
Post #229

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Michael, all I can say is outstanding as always. The level of finish on your car is amazing and I hope all of this on this work to move from the 3.2 to the 3.6 is going to make you very happy.

Best Bob B Burton

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 15 2024, 08:30 AM
Post #230

Michael

Thanks Bob @burton73 I sure hope so. I was hoping to get the transaxle installed on the motor, but we discovered we were missing the bracket that holds the crank position sensor...always something. I am also tracking down the MAF and hope the seller can find it by the weekend. A new MAF is a few hundred dollars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The next time we are at Greg's I want to give the engine compartment a quick detail so it is ready to accept the motor. Then we will do the front trunk as it is pretty dirty too. I think I can install the front bumper and valance at this point too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 17 2024, 07:32 PM
Post #231

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 11 2024, 04:21 PM) *
Hi @Gint . Yeah, here is a picture of one side, they are identical.

Thank you sir!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 18 2024, 06:46 AM
Post #232

Michael

Got a couple hours in yesterday. We were able to get the front valance and bumper back on the car. Easy peasy, but for me it was a big step to getting her back on the road. I also spent some time cleaning the engine compartment. I wiped it down with brake clean. The next time we are at Greg's I will ask my brother to touch up a couple small scratches in the engine compartment and then follow that with a coat of wax.

This morning we are headed off to pick up my MAF meter.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 18 2024, 07:45 AM
Post #233

Michael

And just for a change of pace, here is what my car is sharing Greg's shop with. Pictures posted with Greg's permission.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
technicalninja
post May 18 2024, 09:01 AM
Post #234

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

For engine compartment, wheel wells, underbody "wax" I use Poor Boys Wheel Sealant.

https://poorboysworld.com/wheel-sealant.html

This is designed to work as almost a "Teflon" type coating.

It doesn't really make stuff glossy. It's NOT a wax.

DO NOT USE on semi-flat of flat paint surfaces. They will NEVER be "right" again.

2 years down the road you can use air pressure to blow the dirt off.

Nothing STICKS at all...

Smells like bubblegum!

Easy to apply.

I've not found anything else that get close to the lifespan of this stuff.

A tub lasts me 5+ years

If you want to put anything on the paint don't use this stuff.

If you want nothing to ever stick this is the BOMB!

Thanks for the pictures of the 911.
Closeups are every bit a gorgeous as I expected it would be.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 18 2024, 04:17 PM
Post #235

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(burton73 @ May 15 2024, 08:26 AM) *

Michael, all I can say is outstanding as always. The level of finish on your car is amazing and I hope all of this on this work to move from the 3.2 to the 3.6 is going to make you very happy.

Best Bob B Burton

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Workmanship look great.

She is going to be a monster for sure
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 18 2024, 05:13 PM
Post #236

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Cool 911 with MFI. Love the color!

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 19 2024, 06:29 AM
Post #237

Michael

I will pass that along to Greg Clay. @ClayPerrine I was wondering if anyone would catch the MFI manifold.

Picked up my MAF sensor yesterday. Yay! Thanks again for spotting that missing part Clay.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 20 2024, 03:30 PM
Post #238

Michael

Hoping my order from Gaudin Porsche arrives tomorrow so we can work on that Wednesday. I would love to get the transaxle back with the engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 23 2024, 07:25 AM
Post #239

Michael

Yesterday was a great progress day and we had a lot of fun in the process.

Greg installed the new crank position sensor with the new mounting bracket. Fits nice and looks proper too.

Then we installed the MAF sensor, it fits nicely, but I need to order a couple new clamps from RM European to wrap that up.

While Greg ran to the dentist I took the opportunity to clean the engine compartment for the eventual motor installation. It was not really bad, but it cleaned up nicely. Now, maybe in a couple weeks the motor will be in its new home.

While cleaning the engine compartment I remembered I still had the 3rd brake light flasher module installed that was living in the engine relay board area. I had turned it off about a year ago because Greg's wife saw it flashing when I applied the brakes and said, "Oh, that's annoying". I looked at it and realized she was 100% correct. I had originally bought a flasher module that would flash the 3rd brake light 1-2 times when the brakes were applied and then would not flash every time you applied the brakes if you were sitting in stop/go traffic as that would be really annoying. That module, sadly, was lost and another installed when my car was first reassembled. It flashed the 3rd brake light 5 times per application and did not have a stop/go traffic repeat delay. So now that the engine was out it was the perfect time to remove that module entirely- we did.

Then we put the transaxle back where it belongs - with the engine. We replaced the little plastic bits on the clutch fork arm, greased the throw out bearing and it all went together nicely. I was really pleased to see that happen as it means we really are getting close to getting them back in the car.

Then for a break in the action, Greg had 2 new 911 door-check pins sitting on his counter. He told me my pins, (plain looking steel with a hole for a pin to secure them) were loose and that was why my doors "clicked" when I opened and closed them. The new 911 pins were installed and my doors are nice and quiet when opening and closing. Sometimes it's the little stuff.

My headlight dimmer reostat was not working properly; it was more of an on/off situation. I sourced another early headlight switch and we swapped the old one out and the new one in and now everything works as new. It's not like I dim my dash lights, but it bugged me that the switch was not functioning properly.

Next Greg tackled the wiring for my oil cooler fans. We previously installed the Setbrab in-line thermostat for the fans. I wanted the fans to operate automatically - let's face it I am old and don't want to forget having to turn them on when the oil gets hot. But, I also wanted a manual switch to turn them on too. So we repurposed my rear window defroster switch, (the rear defroster did not work anyway) for that function. Greg is a terrific electrician technician (of course) and made this look simple aside from the contortionist positions required to get up under the dash as he is 6'3".

Our next tasks will be to sort the engine vacuum lines and hopefully start getting the electrical for the engine figured out so we can get the DME mounted in the car and get the wiring from the dash to the engine done. We also still have to make the idle control valve pipe so we can mount that where we want instead of the stock 993 location.

My brother and I are planning on attending the Diablo Region Wash 'n Shine at the Danville Livery (Sycamore and San Ramon Valley Blvd.) on Monday (Holiday). Greg has entered his Willow Green 914-6 GT. If you have not seen that beauty in person- I recommend trying to make it. It is always a well attended function. Now, I mention that event, as I really hope someone with a '95 993 in stock form is there too. We need to look and take pictures to sort my stuff. So I have my fingers crossed!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 23 2024, 07:27 AM
Post #240

Michael

Yesterday was a great progress day and we had a lot of fun in the process.

Greg installed the new crank position sensor with the new mounting bracket. Fits nice and looks proper too.

Then we installed the MAF sensor, it fits nicely, but I need to order a couple new clamps from RM European to wrap that up.

While Greg ran to the dentist I took the opportunity to clean the engine compartment for the eventual motor installation. It was not really bad, but it cleaned up nicely. Now, maybe in a couple weeks the motor will be in its new home.

While cleaning the engine compartment I remembered I still had the 3rd brake light flasher module installed that was living in the engine relay board area. I had turned it off about a year ago because Greg's wife saw it flashing when I applied the brakes and said, "Oh, that's annoying". I looked at it and realized she was 100% correct. I had originally bought a flasher module that would flash the 3rd brake light 1-2 times when the brakes were applied and then would not flash every time you applied the brakes if you were sitting in stop/go traffic as that would be really annoying. That module, sadly, was lost and another installed when my car was first reassembled. It flashed the 3rd brake light 5 times per application and did not have a stop/go traffic repeat delay. So now that the engine was out it was the perfect time to remove that module entirely- we did.

Then we put the transaxle back where it belongs - with the engine. We replaced the little plastic bits on the clutch fork arm, greased the throw out bearing and it all went together nicely. I was really pleased to see that happen as it means we really are getting close to getting them back in the car.

Then for a break in the action, Greg had 2 new 911 door-check pins sitting on his counter. He told me my pins, (plain looking steel with a hole for a pin to secure them) were loose and that was why my doors "clicked" when I opened and closed them. The new 911 pins were installed and my doors are nice and quiet when opening and closing. Sometimes it's the little stuff.

My headlight dimmer reostat was not working properly; it was more of an on/off situation. I sourced another early headlight switch and we swapped the old one out and the new one in and now everything works as new. It's not like I dim my dash lights, but it bugged me that the switch was not functioning properly.

Next Greg tackled the wiring for my oil cooler fans. We previously installed the Setbrab in-line thermostat for the fans. I wanted the fans to operate automatically - let's face it I am old and don't want to forget having to turn them on when the oil gets hot. But, I also wanted a manual switch to turn them on too. So we repurposed my rear window defroster switch, (the rear defroster did not work anyway) for that function. Greg is a terrific electrician technician (of course) and made this look simple aside from the contortionist positions required to get up under the dash as he is 6'3".

Our next tasks will be to sort the engine vacuum lines and hopefully start getting the electrical for the engine figured out so we can get the DME mounted in the car and get the wiring from the dash to the engine done. We also still have to make the idle control valve pipe so we can mount that where we want instead of the stock 993 location.

My brother and I are planning on attending the Diablo Region Wash 'n Shine at the Danville Livery (Sycamore and San Ramon Valley Blvd.) on Monday (Holiday). Greg has entered his Willow Green 914-6 GT. If you have not seen that beauty in person- I recommend trying to make it. It is always a well attended function. Now, I mention that event, as I really hope someone with a '95 993 in stock form is there too. We need to look and take pictures to sort my stuff. So I have my fingers crossed!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

If you notice that little square black module (above) with the 3 wires, that is the 3rd brake light flasher we removed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 12:52 AM