Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dizzy timing workaround?
emerygt350
post Mar 24 2024, 02:57 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 24 2024, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 24 2024, 12:38 PM) *

Perhaps there was a misfire that put extra strain on the valve spring.

A broken or cracking valve spring can certainly cause a misfire but a misfire will not break a valve spring.

Yeah, now that I think about it I don't see how that would work either.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
torakki
post Mar 24 2024, 07:20 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 22,545
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(fiacra @ Mar 23 2024, 07:26 PM) *

Not sure where you are at but if you are close by and you decide to pull the engine to work on it I'd be happy to lend you my Tangerine Racing engine lift plate. I'm in Richmond. I also travel to Berkeley and San Francisco on a regular basis. PM me if you want to borrow it.

Yes, after I posted yesterday, I started thinking. I should pull the lump out. Then did a little research. I'd feel more comfortable when it's finally back together that I did it the right way and looked over anything suspect. fiacra, wow, that's very nice of you. I do have a low profile, extended reach floor jack so I should be OK. You're not too far, I'm up in Fairfield.
When I was younger, this would be ok. Now, old knees, old back and tired arms so it may take a while to finish all this. technicalninja, interesting knowledge on pressurizing the cylinder. I would think it would need huge air to push the piston down, turn the crank and components. I'd love to have 150hp in a 914 but most of what you talked about was over my head. All the 911 rebuilds I've done were from stock to stock. Easy stuff.
So, I started the disassembly today. Got must of the underneath stuff undone. I hope to get all disconnected by Tuesday when a friend will stop by to help drop the motor. My younger years, once a 911 was jacked up with oil out, I could have it out in around 1 hour. Maybe 2 if I keep having the wrong tools under the car with me.
Thanks again for all your comments and advice. Much appreciated. Bob
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 24 2024, 07:34 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

You have to be damn careful doing leak downs and make SURE the wrench/breaker bar you are turning the engine over with is NOT on the front crank pully when you apply air.

If it is and you're not at PERFECT TDC it will throw the tool, with a VENGANCE, across the shop.

"Tomahawk" is a good description of how it flies...

Yep, I've done that before, thankfully it didn't hit anything important!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 24 2024, 08:11 PM
Post #64

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Buy new shifter bushings.
Check clutch and accel cables…easier to replace now.
Two new front rubber motor mounts.
New rear main seal
New gear oil
Check cv joints
New muffler gaskets at engine and at muffler joints
New valve cover gaskets
New push rod tube seals
New oil cooler seals
Dizzy and oil temp oring and washer

As far as getting the spring on….go order the proper clamp, remove the head and do it properly so you can look inside.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 24 2024, 08:12 PM
Post #65

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Remove the heat exchangers and muffler now, before dropping the engine.
It’s way easier.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Mar 25 2024, 05:03 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

And that tangerine racing engine lift plate makes everything better, I would borrow it if you can.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 25 2024, 07:03 AM
Post #67

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 24 2024, 03:58 PM) *

I'd research the folks on here that are D-jet Gurus...
I'd want to know what can realistically be run with D-jet.
I believe I've seen snippets that say something like 150+ has already been accomplished.

150hp 914 would be a freaking Hoot!

Edit: the initial beastie that originally started this post I'd TRASH (maybe saving it for NO) and replace with a 123 set up for D-jet. The Bluetooth one...

Djet needs then engine to be near stock to run. Djet cam. Even just changing the displacement from 94 to 96mm needs a modified sensor (which can be bought from Tangerine). Everything needs to be at or near stock, including cam profile and compression for Djet to work right. Its best not to think of Djet as a tune-able system, though you can. But, there are good reasons why 2056 guys running Djet are happy with 120hp. Go beyond that, and you are requiring carbs or modern EFI.

My old 2056 was a bit more then 120 - but I was slightly more compression, Microsquirt, and a different cam.

Zach
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 25 2024, 08:46 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 25 2024, 08:03 AM) *

I believe I've seen snippets that say something like 150+ has already been accomplished.

Edit: the initial beastie that originally started this post I'd TRASH (maybe saving it for NO) and replace with a 123 set up for D-jet. The Bluetooth one...

Djet needs then engine to be near stock to run. Djet cam. Even just changing the displacement from 94 to 96mm needs a modified sensor (which can be bought from Tangerine). Everything needs to be at or near stock, including cam profile and compression for Djet to work right. Its best not to think of Djet as a tune-able system, though you can. But, there are good reasons why 2056 guys running Djet are happy with 120hp. Go beyond that, and you are requiring carbs or modern EFI.

My old 2056 was a bit more then 120 - but I was slightly more compression, Microsquirt, and a different cam.

Zach

I stand corrected!
See, I really am not proficient with D-jet!
Stay wimpy, it's safer!

I too am a HUGE believer in modern digital FI!
I haven't worked with analog shit in decades...
It definitely is a step BACKWARDS!
Now, J-jet and K-jet I have lots of experience with.
Still like the new junk better!
+Quote Post
Eric_Ciampa
post Mar 25 2024, 02:13 PM
Post #69

CHAMP914

Member No.: 511

I have the Tangerine lift plate and I work in Sacramento. I would be happy to meet you in Sac if I’m closest.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Mar 25 2024, 03:39 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 25 2024, 07:03 AM) *

Zach

Ask me how I know Zach speaks the truth!
+Quote Post
torakki
post Mar 26 2024, 06:45 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 22,545

QUOTE(Eric_Ciampa @ Mar 25 2024, 03:13 PM) *

I have the Tangerine lift plate and I work in Sacramento. I would be happy to meet you in Sac if I’m closest.

Another big thanks to Eric. I've been working on the car the last few days, couple hours each day and got the engine out. A big floor jack and a Porsche loving friend made it very easy. Maybe 2 hours of disconnecting things and maybe one + hours to do the final drop. r_towle - Lots of great tips. Things to think about. The car only has about 40 miles on it since the resto job. It kept getting put aside for other projects. I was buying auction cars with damage and doing repairs to flip. So, many years have gone buy but many things are still new, like shift bushings, exhaust gaskets. CV joints still look like new grease, etc... I do have a valve spring compressor that has worked on 911 heads.
VaccaRabite - Wow, getting complicated. I'd love to have that kinda HP in this little tike but as one poster said, "stay wimpy". I have a couple other "Godzilla" cars. BTW - you must know Dominic.
I'd be interested to see a tool fly across the landscape just from compression. As long as it didn't hit a car, (or person). Thanks for the additional input on the top end rebuild. Bob

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:05 PM