Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zinc Plating + Yellow Chromate, Anyone try this at home?
TINKERGINEERING
post Mar 16 2024, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,031
Region Association: Southern California

I accidentally powder-coated some parts that needed to be zinc plated, namely the shock tower attachment hardware and the rear bearing cover, and I reached out to Caswell about their kit, but, I was also thinking of just getting their Yellow Chromate and attempting a zinc plating in my garage. I saw some videos on it and their parts turned out pretty good for what they are needed for, so I wanted to ask if any of you have zinc-plated these in their garage. What did you do? Would you do this again?

I have sandblasted all the powder coating off and I kinda want to try this process out.

Seeking the 914World Belssing to mess up my car. Just kidding someone has already removed the gas engine anyways. I think I can do this.

These are a few of the parts that I know need Zinc. What other parts need the Yellowing? My black and white manual isn't telling me...

Frances
and Dad

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 16 2024, 08:05 PM
Post #2

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sure. Just did the calipers for the 4 cylinder rustoration car.used solutions that are several years old and they still work. I power the plating with a battery charger, usually set on six volts. A trick that I use is to hook the charger up to a lighting dimmer so I can control the rate. I simply wired the dimmer and a plug into an electrical box. If this doesn’t sound crystal clear to you then get a qualified electrician or similar to help. Really though plating is more fun than upholstery.
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 16 2024, 08:10 PM
Post #3

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 16 2024, 06:05 PM) *

Sure. Just did the calipers for the 4 cylinder rustoration car.used solutions that are several years old and they still work. I power the plating with a battery charger, usually set on six volts. A trick that I use is to hook the charger up to a lighting dimmer so I can control the rate. I simply wired the dimmer and a plug into an electrical box. If this doesn’t sound crystal clear to you then get a qualified electrician or similar to help. Really though plating is more fun than upholstery.

I want to add that I have been using Caswell solutions but have branched out for zinc electrodes. You cannot plate over rust, so a sandblaster is helpful. Also, acid treatment such as phosphoric acid makes a good surface for the zinc.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 16 2024, 08:16 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Frances and Dad -

Yes you can do it. It has a bit of a learning curve. It’s nice to be able to do things as you need them.

Downside is storing the chemicals between using them.

Another option is to hit the easy button and send them to PMB. They do a great job. They are finishing some parts for me right now.

Mark
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Mar 16 2024, 09:30 PM
Post #5

Awesome! Thanks for the input I appreciate it! I think I'm going to give it a shot.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Mar 16 2024, 09:49 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Mar 16 2024, 08:30 PM) *

Awesome! Thanks for the input I appreciate it! I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Frances, the chemicals are kinda nasty for the small amount of parts you have to plate. I'd agree with Mark and send them to us at PMB...we still have your stickers on our equipment! I'd love to plate up some purty gold pieces for you!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 16 2024, 09:52 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Be careful with the acids. Wear PPE. Read and follow Caswell instructions meticulously and you’ll be fine.

The yellow chromate is fickle. Hang to dry with heat helps and don’t handle for 24 hours. Works 95% of the time. Every now and then I get a part that the chromate brushes off and has to be redone from scratch. Haven’t figured out what causes the seemingly random failures.

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Mar 16 2024, 10:20 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 16 2024, 08:52 PM) *

Be careful with the acids. Wear PPE. Read and follow Caswell instructions meticulously and you’ll be fine.

The yellow chromate is fickle. Hang to dry with heat helps and don’t handle for 24 hours. Works 95% of the time. Every now and then I get a part that the chromate brushes off and has to be redone from scratch. Haven’t figured out what causes the seemingly random failures.

After dipping in the chromate, pressurized air is necessary to dry the chromate and give it its color and iridescence. Then the oven at around 120 for about 10 minutes oughta do it.
+Quote Post
RRietman
post Mar 16 2024, 10:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,124
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Mar 16 2024, 06:58 PM) *

I accidentally powder-coated some parts that needed to be zinc plated, namely the shock tower attachment hardware and the rear bearing cover, and I reached out to Caswell about their kit, but, I was also thinking of just getting their Yellow Chromate and attempting a zinc plating in my garage. I saw some videos on it and their parts turned out pretty good for what they are needed for, so I wanted to ask if any of you have zinc-plated these in their garage. What did you do? Would you do this again?

I have sandblasted all the powder coating off and I kinda want to try this process out.

Seeking the 914World Belssing to mess up my car. Just kidding someone has already removed the gas engine anyways. I think I can do this.

These are a few of the parts that I know need Zinc. What other parts need the Yellowing? My black and white manual isn't telling me...

Frances
and Dad

been doing tin zinc plating at home for years mostly on japanese motorcycle stuff. kind of fun, but takes time. the solution is white vinegar/epson salt/ cane sugar. need a low volt supply---4-6v@300-500 ma. lot of guys use old phone chargers. I have an actual electroplating supply. my previous one I got from a buddy who had a dental lab (they don't use them anymore). you need to get the parts very clean. sand blasting is best, then treat them as if you were going paint them. your fingers are dirty! wear gloves.
good luck
Randy
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 16 2024, 11:38 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 17 2024, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 16 2024, 08:52 PM) *

After dipping in the chromate, pressurized air is necessary to dry the chromate and give it its color and iridescence. Then the oven at around 120 for about 10 minutes oughta do it.

Thank you for the tip! Will try this next time.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 17 2024, 04:45 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

I appreciate the effort here but for $140 you can get this all done. Almost not worth messing with all the chemicals Attached Image
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 17 2024, 07:16 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That's a BUNCH of stuff for 140!

I too was looking at the Caswell kits.

They've got a black zinc process I want to try on carb bodies.

For the normal cad stuff, the MB911 route looks best to me.

Looks like two weeks' worth of small tank plating for chump change to me.

No nasty chemicals, no smells, no screw ups and "have to do it again".
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 17 2024, 07:23 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Buying the kit does give you the opportunity to make a video
I do all my own prep and then send it out. Luckily have a friend willing to take it to a shop that does bulk plating. Small batches go to PMB. There’s really few choices on the east coast, just like chrome plating.

When you send it in bulk, you aren’t guaranteed to get everything back. I’ve been lucky so far and if stuff is missing, it wasn’t a big deal. If I had really important parts, I’d want a place that documented the parts before and after. 914 parts are a dime a dozen but there are always small parts on special items that are almost irreplaceable. Doing it at home is a good solution if you are worried about loosing something.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Mar 17 2024, 07:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2024, 02:45 AM) *

I appreciate the effort here but for $140 you can get this all done. Almost not worth messing with all the chemicals Attached Image

You have a very good friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 17 2024, 07:48 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 17 2024, 08:23 AM) *

Buying the kit does give you the opportunity to make a video
I do all my own prep and then send it out. Luckily have a friend willing to take it to a shop that does bulk plating. Small batches go to PMB. There’s really few choices on the east coast, just like chrome plating.

When you send it in bulk, you aren’t guaranteed to get everything back. I’ve been lucky so far and if stuff is missing, it wasn’t a big deal. If I had really important parts, I’d want a place that documented the parts before and after. 914 parts are a dime a dozen but there are always small parts on special items that are almost irreplaceable. Doing it at home is a good solution if you are worried about loosing something.

He's SOOO right!

When I send a block or a head to the machine shop I completely strip EVERYTHING off of the item and ONLY send exactly what they need to do the job.
I also include a "parts list" of what I sent...
Been down the primrose path of missing tiny parts way to often myself.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 17 2024, 07:54 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 17 2024, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2024, 02:45 AM) *

You have a very good friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nope just a local business. They kind of make the price up each time. It ranges from $60-$180 depending on how they feel. This bucket got shipped out to a very good friend on Friday. Truth is it’s a crap shoot as to what you get back. If anyone is willing to gamble I can offer to drop them off at the plater for you but you have to have it prepped and make it easy for me to drop off the parts and pick up that’s all
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 17 2024, 07:54 AM
Post #17

Another tip...

If you want bright shiny cad the part needs to be shiny BEFORE the cad is done.

You bead blast the part and plate over a rough surface it will plate "flat" instead of gloss.

Vapor honing might be better, I haven't seen vapor honed re-plated stuff yet.

Most of the re-plated stuff that came out nice had to go into something like a rock tumbler first.

Polish then plate seems to produce the nicest finish in my book.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Mar 17 2024, 08:07 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Advantage of home playing is one can do just 2-3 parts at a time. I think mine were done for 10 sec dip at first but 20 sec dip had more shine and bling. Next time I prepped and sent a small bucket full out. Had to prep but turned our really well. Agree - photo document all pieces and include list with parts and pics when sending out.

I think the PET list indicates which ones are plated. Include front/rear latches and engine lid screws. Have seen some door hinge screws plated but they came painted body color. My under dash screws are plated, too.
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Mar 17 2024, 09:59 AM
Post #19

Love this
Okay for best case scenario and best looking outcome- call Eric @PMB
For making videos and showing learning lessons try this at home.
Full safety gear

30 seconds in the yellow chromate
High pressure air dry
Bake 100 degrees
I’ll read more

Yea I need to get this thing done. Might skip this part and call PMB.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 17 2024, 11:15 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You are very ambitious..PMB money well spent... call it a day Off for fun..
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:23 AM