Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Check Valve(s) needed for Windshield Washer Nozzles?, .. using an electric pump
Literati914
post Apr 14 2024, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Trying to wrap my head around the PET illustrations for the windshield washer pump.. There is an illustration for an electric pump which is what I'll be using, however it seems to only call for "T" pieces - but I believe that's being shown with the early chrome nozzles.

Did maybe early nozzles incorporate a check valve, but the later black one didn't?

The illustration for the later black nozzles lists a "T" shaped "valve with valve" (probably a separate check valve, no?).

Anyone know what's what here?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Apr 14 2024, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 27,135

I like a check valve in that system.

I'd add one if it didn't have it.

I'd also run that stuff on the bench before I installed it in the car.

I've used welding torch tip cleaners to clean/modify the spray nozzles many a time.

Some of the real late German nozzles have neat "patterns" and many are heated nowadays. I'm watching for something modern to replace the original stuff.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Apr 14 2024, 05:43 PM
Post #3

The black nozzles I have are new and unused, so I'm gonna use them for the time being.

I just realized that the model number for the early nozzles (chrome) are described in the first PET illustration as as "Spray Nozzle" and the same model number in the second illustration is described as "Spray Nozzle with Valve" ... the later nozzles are just described as "Nozzle Black" - so it's a pretty good indication that separate check valves were used with the late black nozzle set up.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 14 2024, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

If you're using a normal bottle from a /4 you will need to add some sort of air-inlet/valve to the cap as the /4 cap valve is meant to keep the spare tire pressure above a certain level.
A stock /4 bottle has no way to let air in if you convert to an electrical pump setup and your pump will burn up trying to suck against a vacuum.

I did the cheap and quick hack for my setup, which is to simply drill a small hole in the cap.
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 14 2024, 07:33 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2024, 07:28 PM) *

If you're using a normal bottle from a /4 you will need to add some sort of air-inlet/valve to the cap as the /4 cap valve is meant to keep the spare tire pressure above a certain level.
A stock /4 bottle has no way to let air in if you convert to an electrical pump setup and your pump will burn up trying to suck against a vacuum.

I did the cheap and quick hack for my setup, which is to simply drill a small hole in the cap.

Me too.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Apr 14 2024, 09:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2024, 08:28 PM) *

Yeah I had it in the back of my mind that I'd need to drill a hose in that cap at some point. Any interesting alternatives to a simple hole in the cap?

+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Apr 15 2024, 08:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 14 2024, 04:43 PM) *

I just realized that the model number for the early nozzles (chrome) are described in the first PET illustration as as "Spray Nozzle" and the same model number in the second illustration is described as "Spray Nozzle with Valve" ... the later nozzles are just described as "Nozzle Black" - so it's a pretty good indication that separate check valves were used with the late black nozzle set up.

From experience, the early nozzles require the check valves. I fitted an electric pump when I did my -6 conversion, and on one of the first "spirited" test drives was shocked to see clear liquid splashing on the screen! At least I knew it wasn't coolant.... ;-)

Think I looked at the PET for a 911 and found the check valve part numbers - this fixed it.

- Tony
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Apr 15 2024, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,349
Region Association: None

When I bought the car 8 years ago, ( ‘75 2.0) the seller installed an electric pump. It works just fine ( I only use it if I have to go to the MOT every 2years) but in between the nozzles leak water regularly. If I don’t wipe it off instantly , it creates stains that are very difficult to remove. And I have no idea what is causing this.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Apr 15 2024, 06:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(slotty008 @ Apr 15 2024, 01:35 PM) *

When I bought the car 8 years ago, ( ‘75 2.0) the seller installed an electric pump. It works just fine ( I only use it if I have to go to the MOT every 2years) but in between the nozzles leak water regularly. If I don’t wipe it off instantly , it creates stains that are very difficult to remove. And I have no idea what is causing this.

Sounds like you need the check valves (item 10)...?

Attached Image

- Tony
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Apr 16 2024, 01:55 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,349

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Apr 16 2024, 01:37 AM) *

QUOTE(slotty008 @ Apr 15 2024, 01:35 PM) *

Sounds like you need the check valves (item 10)...?

Attached Image

- Tony
Thx Tony, as far as I can remember ,I don’t have any check valves, but I can’t check it now because I’m in Spain right now, the weather here is a lot better than in Belgium. I’already thought that it would be something like that but I didn’t know where they were supposed to be. After 8 years, I’m still learning!
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Apr 16 2024, 05:12 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 487

Check valves are one-way valves. Are these really pop-off valves instead? Pop-off would allow spray but not weeping/leaking. I just did my electric pump install but did not include any valves, maybe I need to reconsider. I’m curious why 2 valves instead of 1 valve before they branch to the 2 nozzles.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Apr 16 2024, 08:15 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 27,135

QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 16 2024, 06:12 AM) *

Check valves are one-way valves. Are these really pop-off valves instead? Pop-off would allow spray but not weeping/leaking. I just did my electric pump install but did not include any valves, maybe I need to reconsider. I’m curious why 2 valves instead of 1 valve before they branch to the 2 nozzles.

Pump may have check valve built into it.

One will work fine. Might allow one nozzle to take longer to spray but two are not a requirement.

Not pop off valves that require a certain pressure before they release, at least none of the ones I've seen are.

Too much CIS injection in your past...
+Quote Post
Nate W
post Apr 16 2024, 08:35 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 25,250
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 16 2024, 04:12 AM) *

The early nozzles have 1 check valve each, but the later models (black nozzles) use a “T” fitting that has a single check valve
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 16 2024, 12:39 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Is this what you need?
https://914rubber.com/check-valve-w-s-washer-l-shape

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Apr 16 2024, 01:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 16 2024, 01:39 PM) *

That's what I ordered, but PET (914 specific) only shows a valve that's "T" shaped (I know you have those too), no single valves that I saw.. I already had non-valved "T" piece so I figured the two individuals would be fine. And as pointed out, that's how 911's were done.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:08 AM