Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Area51Werks had another Visitor, Very Fast 914 Race Car and in need of a little Surgery
rick 918-S
post Apr 20 2024, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Maybe a few of you will remember when Area51Werks Abducted a factory 6 for some needed attention on one of the coldest days I can ever remember! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bruce.gif)

http://www.area51werks.com/sub-zero-abduction.html

Well Ben contacted me about his race car. Seems it was a little loose in the corners and it felt like the left side. Here was we found.

Attached Image

I checked the rear suspension pickup points with the fixtures McMark made for me. (Thanks again Mark!!) I used a crossmember from my Celette bench and the pickup points we within spec.

Attached Image

We discovered over time the chassis was stressed and the stiffening plate spot welds had pops along with the factory rail splitting.

I removed the stiffener and discovered the chassis had been welded many years ago before the stiffening plates were added. The repair had failed under the stiffener.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I removed the fatigued section and repaired the factory rail first.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Then cut out a new stiffener and replaced the one that failed. I added some other plates on the inside and under the rail to box it.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Ben brought me a gift when he came to pick up the car. He had this custom made. the company that did it is called Two sisters with Tools. I love this and it's going up in my office.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:19 PM