Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> M10 bolt openings but M8 muffler exhaust gasket holes
Tdskip
post Apr 23 2024, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Thank you all again for the coaching on the fuel lines yesterday – I connected it properly, using the return line.

When I did a test fit of the 2 L exhaust headers to the 2 L muffler everything properly located, but I noticed that the bolt holes all appear to be M10 diameter, but the actual opening on the exhaust gasket that they pass through are M8.

Was that done to allow for a slight adjustment in how the exhaust lines up or do I just have a funky set of exhaust gaskets?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Apr 23 2024, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

If I was in your shoes, and there is room to in large the holes on the gasket, I’d use the 10’s.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 23 2024, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 23 2024, 10:31 AM) *

Thank you all again for the coaching on the fuel lines yesterday – I connected it properly, using the return line.

When I did a test fit of the 2 L exhaust headers to the 2 L muffler everything properly located, but I noticed that the bolt holes all appear to be M10 diameter, but the actual opening on the exhaust gasket that they pass through are M8.

Was that done to allow for a slight adjustment in how the exhaust lines up or do I just have a funky set of exhaust gaskets?

Thanks!

The bolts are M8x1.25. When installing the exhaust, you need some play in the fittings. So we have M10 holes to allow us to adjust how the exhaust fits.

Just a note. When installing the exhaust, fit the heat exchangers but do not tighten the nuts that hold them to the head. First fit all the exhaust, including the muffler and the hanger. Then start by tightening up the muffler to heat exchangers, and the hanger to the transmission. Then tighten up the heat exchanger to head nuts. This makes sure everything fits correctly.

+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Apr 23 2024, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Clay, I think you have more wiggle room between the muffler and the heat exchangers rather than the heat exchangers to the head. You want a tight fit of the pipes against the head against the copper gaskets.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Apr 23 2024, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Thanks for the confirmation @ClayPerrine

Appreciate everyone’s responses!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:27 AM