Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M10 bolt openings but M8 muffler exhaust gasket holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Thank you all again for the coaching on the fuel lines yesterday – I connected it properly, using the return line.

When I did a test fit of the 2 L exhaust headers to the 2 L muffler everything properly located, but I noticed that the bolt holes all appear to be M10 diameter, but the actual opening on the exhaust gasket that they pass through are M8.

Was that done to allow for a slight adjustment in how the exhaust lines up or do I just have a funky set of exhaust gaskets?

Thanks!
Shivers
If I was in your shoes, and there is room to in large the holes on the gasket, I’d use the 10’s.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 23 2024, 10:31 AM) *

Thank you all again for the coaching on the fuel lines yesterday – I connected it properly, using the return line.

When I did a test fit of the 2 L exhaust headers to the 2 L muffler everything properly located, but I noticed that the bolt holes all appear to be M10 diameter, but the actual opening on the exhaust gasket that they pass through are M8.

Was that done to allow for a slight adjustment in how the exhaust lines up or do I just have a funky set of exhaust gaskets?

Thanks!

The bolts are M8x1.25. When installing the exhaust, you need some play in the fittings. So we have M10 holes to allow us to adjust how the exhaust fits.

Just a note. When installing the exhaust, fit the heat exchangers but do not tighten the nuts that hold them to the head. First fit all the exhaust, including the muffler and the hanger. Then start by tightening up the muffler to heat exchangers, and the hanger to the transmission. Then tighten up the heat exchanger to head nuts. This makes sure everything fits correctly.

Geezer914
Clay, I think you have more wiggle room between the muffler and the heat exchangers rather than the heat exchangers to the head. You want a tight fit of the pipes against the head against the copper gaskets.
Tdskip
Thanks for the confirmation @ClayPerrine

Appreciate everyone’s responses!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.