Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> L-Jet Dual Relay GB (updated) -RELAYS ARE HERE 5/30/24, See post #29 in this thread.
Artfrombama
post May 16 2024, 09:44 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,870
Region Association: South East States

I found the relay locally through a VW parts store.
I found it odd that the part number had been ground off, apparently for another L-jet application but plugged in and the car operated as it should.
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 16 2024, 10:53 PM
Post #22

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Artfrombama @ May 16 2024, 08:44 PM) *

I found it odd that the part number had been ground off, apparently for another L-jet application but plugged in and the car operated as it should.
Attached Image Attached Image

You have an actual brick and mortar VW parts store near you in Alabama? That's awesome. The last local store in the Bay Area shut down a few years back and I have to get everything for my Beetle and my Ghia from on-line suppliers.

I believe the part number got removed because it had an alternate part number printed on it and they simply re-boxed it or put a new sticker on the box. Nothing nefarious about it, I think it is just done to avoid confusion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 17 2024, 03:16 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 16 2024, 06:51 PM) *

There were a lot more people interested than I thought would be. I also have a few other people with FI VW's who want one, so a total of 14 relays so far. I was able to order 15 today, but that is probably all I can get. If there is anyone else that wants one please put your name in the hat now. You never know if someone might drop out. So far from 914World I have:

@StarBear
@bdstone914 (two relays)
@wonkipop
@technicalninja
@Geezer914
@75914-L20C
@sportlicherFahrer
@RRietman
@MartyYeoman
@Artfrombama

I recognize that some people may not follow through, but I don't see any way of avoiding that risk other than asking for payment in advance. When it comes down to it I'd rather lose my money than yours. There is no easier way to make enemies. Worst case scenario I'm out some money and I have plenty of relays so I'll have to buy more cars so that I can put them to use (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . The other risk of course is that 914rubber starts to make them and it seems that Mark believes his price point is going to be under $50. At this point is is up to you folks to see if you want to wait for that, or whether a "bird in the hand" is better than waiting to see if and when Mark follows through.

Today I had some time to pull the working relay off my 1975 914 1.8 and put on the new Bosch relay to make sure it works (it did). I didn't expect any problems, but it also didn't hurt to make sure. Be aware that when you disconnect the wiring some of these 50 year old connectors may not like the small amount of twisting force they get exposed to. Two of mine broke instantly. I suppose it is better that they failed now than when I was on the road. These Bosch black plastic relays superseded the original VW metal ones a long time ago and you will have to modify the relay casing so that the plugs will fit back on. I'll post pictures at some point, but you can use your current relay as a guide as it is very likely you already have a plastic one. If not, you can use my pictures as a guide. It took me about three minutes with a dremel to trim the case.

The order will take a few weeks to get here. I'll let everyone know when they arrive.

i'll pay you just for taking the risk.
you have gotten further than me simply locating something that might be the right thing.
cheers mate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

sounds like you might have located a stock of what was already the procedure back in the day which means my car readily accepts. it was already modded slightly back then to accept the black relay "upgrade".
+Quote Post
Artfrombama
post May 17 2024, 11:06 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 16 2024, 11:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Artfrombama @ May 16 2024, 08:44 PM) *

You have an actual brick and mortar VW parts store near you in Alabama? That's awesome. The last local store in the Bay Area shut down a few years back and I have to get everything for my Beetle and my Ghia from on-line suppliers.

Here
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post May 17 2024, 12:26 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

That's an old Bap/Geon!

When I started working on foreign cars, they were the only folks I'd buy from other than dealers.

Normal FLAPS couldn't cut it...

They all seemed to look the same...

"Hole in the wall" in a cheap strip shop set up.

We had "Steve's Foreign Car parts" in Ft. Worth...

Same deal.

Almost NO parking lot...

You could get WEIRD stuff through Steve

I miss him...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 17 2024, 03:27 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Update on my end.
Looks like these may be less expensive that I initially thought. But, if they are available will not make. Unless that are stupid expensive.
Mark
+Quote Post
Artfrombama
post May 19 2024, 11:10 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 15 2024, 10:53 AM) *

This was initially posted in the FS/WTB forum as a WTB ad but I think it now more properly belongs in the Garage forum. Those of us with an LJet car with the original FI know that this NLA Bosch relay #0332514120 is a weak point in the system. If it fails, you are dead in the water, and eventually it will fail. At the moment the only sources I have found are AA and one eBay seller. The pre-tax/shipping price from AA is $325 and on Ebay it is $459.99 (unbelievably it appears they have sold a few at that price). It took a fair amount of time exploring the back alleys of the internet but I finally found a source for this Bosch relay using a cross referenced part number. It is a foreign supplier with back stock. Once that is gone they won't have any more. I ordered one just to make sure it was identical, and it is. I'll test it in my car sometime in the next few days, but I see no reason why it won't work (update: tested and working perfectly). I can order enough to pass on if people are interested.

Would you mind posting a photo or possibly the alternate part number?
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 19 2024, 11:16 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Artfrombama @ May 19 2024, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 15 2024, 10:53 AM) *

This was initially posted in the FS/WTB forum as a WTB ad but I think it now more properly belongs in the Garage forum. Those of us with an LJet car with the original FI know that this NLA Bosch relay #0332514120 is a weak point in the system. If it fails, you are dead in the water, and eventually it will fail. At the moment the only sources I have found are AA and one eBay seller. The pre-tax/shipping price from AA is $325 and on Ebay it is $459.99 (unbelievably it appears they have sold a few at that price). It took a fair amount of time exploring the back alleys of the internet but I finally found a source for this Bosch relay using a cross referenced part number. It is a foreign supplier with back stock. Once that is gone they won't have any more. I ordered one just to make sure it was identical, and it is. I'll test it in my car sometime in the next few days, but I see no reason why it won't work (update: tested and working perfectly). I can order enough to pass on if people are interested.

Would you mind posting a photo or possibly the alternate part number?

I put some photos up in the thread in the classifieds.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=369867
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 30 2024, 04:52 PM
Post #29

The relays are here! I had offered these at $100 each, cheaper than any other source I could find, but selling them at my final cost without any mark up will let me pass these on to everyone who responded earlier for $64 shipped in the CONUS via USPS priority mail flat rate box. I hope that's a nice surprise. Doing this to help out fellow LJet owners, not make a profit. If you requested more than one, I can fit two of them in a small flat rate box which means they get even cheaper. They get even cheaper if you pick them up in person.

PM me if you responded earlier. If you changed your mind please let me know so I can open this up to anyone else who wants one. If you didn't claim one earlier please PM me if you want to be a back-up buyer. Payment can be made via paypal. Add fees in if you don't pay F&F. I'll respond to PMs with information on where to send payment and final cost. I'm hoping to mail all of these at once and not make multiple trips to the post office. I'll keep everyone updated as to a shipping date.

Here's who I have from 914World:

@StarBear
@bdstone914 (two relays)
@wonkipop
@technicalninja
@Geezer914
@75914-L20C
@sportlicherFahrer
@RRietman
@MartyYeoman

Just a reminder that years ago these Bosch relays in black plastic cases superseded the metal box relays that were original on our cars. They do require some modification to the plastic case in order for the connector housings to fit on the relay. Pictures and instructions on how to do this are in the following thread. See post #10. I recommend you make the modification now and then put your new relay in your road kit/glove box. When these fail you are dead in the water.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=dual+relay
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 30 2024, 05:06 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 30 2024, 03:52 PM) *

The relays are here! I had offered these at $100 each, cheaper than any other source I could find, but selling them at my final cost without any mark up will let me pass these on to everyone who responded earlier for $64 shipped in the CONUS via USPS priority mail flat rate box. I hope that's a nice surprise. Doing this to help out fellow LJet owners, not make a profit. If you requested more than one, I can fit two of them in a small flat rate box which means they get even cheaper. They get even cheaper if you pick them up in person.

PM me if you responded earlier. If you changed your mind please let me know so I can open this up to anyone else who wants one. If you didn't claim one earlier please PM me if you want to be a back-up buyer. Payment can be made via paypal. Add fees in if you don't pay F&F. I'll respond to PMs with information on where to send payment and final cost. I'm hoping to mail all of these at once and not make multiple trips to the post office. I'll keep everyone updated as to a shipping date.

Here's who I have from 914World:

@StarBear
@bdstone914 (two relays)
@wonkipop
@technicalninja
@Geezer914
@75914-L20C
@sportlicherFahrer
@RRietman
@MartyYeoman

Just a reminder that years ago these Bosch relays in black plastic cases superseded the metal box relays that were original on our cars. They do require some modification to the plastic case in order for the connector housings to fit on the relay. Pictures and instructions on how to do this are in the following thread. See post #10. I recommend you make the modification now and then put your new relay in your road kit/glove box. When these fail you are dead in the water.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=dual+relay

Two more people. Apparently there is a limit on how many people you can tag in a post:

@L-Jet914 (two relays, will pick up in person)
@Johnswint3
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 30 2024, 05:36 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

@fiacra

@bwingate has a 1.8 he recently purchased. very original car. can't tell in photos whether he has an original metal dual relay or not. but he might want to think about getting hold of one of these plastic update ones as a backup spare if he still has an original one.
could leave him high and dry.

if wants or needs one he can take the one i put my name to. i have a black plastic one in the car that installed back in 89 and i believe the black plastic ones are very reliable compared to the originals. so im probably in a safer spot than anyone with an original.

i also have diagrams from ratwell to make one out of two standard relays if i ever get into trouble.

so if anyone wants the one i put my name to nows the time to speak up if you are still running the old metal one.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post May 30 2024, 05:40 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 839

Good to hear. I'll pickup in person.
Thanks, Marty
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post May 30 2024, 08:38 PM
Post #33

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

PM sent!
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 31 2024, 12:38 AM
Post #34

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

PM sent.
+Quote Post
Bwingate
post May 31 2024, 04:29 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 28,029

Thanks @wonkipop .

I'm going to take advantage of this.

@fiacra - let me know who/what/how to pay for the relay.

Bruce.

QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 30 2024, 05:36 PM) *

@fiacra

@bwingate has a 1.8 he recently purchased. very original car. can't tell in photos whether he has an original metal dual relay or not. but he might want to think about getting hold of one of these plastic update ones as a backup spare if he still has an original one.

if wants or needs one he can take the one i put my name to. i have a black plastic one in the car that installed back in 89 and i believe the black plastic ones are very reliable compared to the originals. so im probably in a safer spot than anyone with an original.

i also have diagrams from ratwell to make one out of two standard relays if i ever get into trouble.

so if anyone wants the one i put my name to nows the time to speak up if you are still running the old metal one.

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 31 2024, 04:44 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Bwingate @ May 31 2024, 04:29 AM) *

Thanks @wonkipop .

Bruce.

@fiacra

no worries b.
i think i will be ok with my plastic one (Touch wood). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
you def need a back up if you are still running around with a metal original.
@fiacra will do the deal with you.
just contact him to arrange.

cheers men.
and..... @fiacra good on you for getting hold of those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
StarBear
post May 31 2024, 07:10 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 10,753

Yay!!! PM in a moment.
Also, if any 1.8 owner needs a repro engine tin tuneup sticker, PM me with your address. I’ll send two as they are not laser on heat resistant vinyl - just ink jet on measured Avery labels with a protective spray coating. They last in good condition maybe 2-3 driving seasons.
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 31 2024, 10:06 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(Bwingate @ May 31 2024, 03:29 AM) *

Thanks @wonkipop .

Bruce.

@fiacra

@Bwingate

PM me with your mailing address and I'll PM you with details.

+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jun 5 2024, 01:46 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 10,753

Arrived! Thanks so much.
I compared the connector designations on the 0332514120 unit with this new F 026 T00 064 unit. Identical! Pics below.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 5 2024, 05:39 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jun 5 2024, 12:46 PM) *

Arrived! Thanks so much.
I compared the connector designations on the 0332514120 unit with this new F 026 T00 064 unit. Identical! Pics below.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Yup, absolutely identical. I also hooked it up to my 1975 1.8 to make sure and it fired up and ran no problem. Not sure where this part number comes from, but it is branded as a Bosch relay. I'll expand more in another thread, but the relays that are starting to show up in the US with the part number sanded off the plastic case and a new label put on box to show part number 0332514120 are probably this relay. This is almost certainly also the same relay that someone is trying to sell for $450 on eBay. Again, my plan when I get a moment is to put all this information into a new thread so that those of us that are running LJet can find these relays at a reasonable cost. I'll also include pictures and instructions on how to modify the case to fit in our cars.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:10 AM