Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windshield washer leaking at nozzle; fluid in rubber channel
Marcel Aircooled
post May 19 2024, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,087
Region Association: Europe

Just have my 73 914 for a month and learning every day. I noticed a few times that there was some fluid/water at the nozzles of the windshield washer system even though I did not use the system but did not pay much attention to it. Yesterday it was quite warm here and I parked my 914 in the sun and when I moved it I saw a wet spot were I had parked at the right front. I also noticed some spill at the nozzles again and did some further inspection. Looking at the front trunk I found that water/fluid had run into channel for the rubber and after removing the rubber I found that it was wet at many spots and some water had build up in the corners. It looks like this has been an issue for quite a while already because the paint was coming loose in the channel and some rust has formed. Maybe has to do with pressure building up in the washer tank due to the heat? So now I removed the loose paint from channel and will use some rust converter and paint the channel again.

Here's the channel with the paint removed

Attached Image

My question is if this leak from the nozzles is common and if there is a (easy) fix? I don't want to have the same rust issue returning obviously. Here's a pic of my washer set up

Attached Image

It looks like it works with a pump and not with the pressure from the spare tire. I can empty the washer tank to prevent from leaking now but prefer a solution where I will be able to use the window washer system. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post May 19 2024, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I would look to see that you have the proper check valves in the fluid tubing route - and that they're operating. They can get crusty...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 19 2024, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Marcel Aircooled @ May 19 2024, 06:41 AM) *

It looks like it works with a pump and not with the pressure from the spare tire. I can empty the washer tank to prevent from leaking now but prefer a solution where I will be able to use the window washer system. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Am i correct to understand that your system has been converted to use an electric pump?

If so, the tank needs to be vented. If not, it will build pressure when getting warm to the point that fluid could drain out the nozzles. It also means the pump will have a hard time pumping fluid since it will have to work against a vacuum in the bottle.

The /4 bottle with its check valve in the cap was never designed to work with an electric pump.

See this tech article for my (admittedly crude) solution to that problem:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 19 2024, 11:22 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 19 2024, 05:21 PM) *

I would look to see that you have the proper check valves in the fluid tubing route - and that they're operating. They can get crusty...

Will check but from what I can see the tubes and connectors are not that old.
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 19 2024, 11:29 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2024, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Marcel Aircooled @ May 19 2024, 06:41 AM) *

Am i correct to understand that your system has been converted to use an electric pump?

If so, the tank needs to be vented. If not, it will build pressure when getting warm to the point that fluid could drain out the nozzles. It also means the pump will have a hard time pumping fluid since it will have to work against a vacuum in the bottle.

The /4 bottle with its check valve in the cap was never designed to work with an electric pump.

See this tech article for my (admittedly crude) solution to that problem:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Thanks Andy, you might be on to something. Yes, one of the POs added an electric pump to the window washer system. Not sure why because unfortunately I do not have any history on the car. I don't think they thought of any vent solution but will try to have a closer look tomorrow. Will look at the tech article but might decide to convert back to the original spare tire system.
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 20 2024, 02:12 AM
Post #6

Here's a close up of the electrical pump that was added. It looks like an aftermarket pump and not standard.

Attached Image

I read the tech article from Andy and if I understand correctly to have the pump working and not build up too much pressure I need to have an extra vent hole in the bottle cap.

This is what my cap looks like now

Attached Image

So it looks like I need to drill the additional hole. Can I just drill between the "hp" and "5" close to the valve in the picture? Do you think this would solve the issue with the washer system leaking from the nozzles? Thanks for the help!
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 20 2024, 02:13 AM
Post #7

Double post
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 20 2024, 08:38 AM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

It's been 18 years since it did this so forgive me if my memory is a bit foggy.
I don't remember what the back side of the cap looks like.

I drilled mine next to the old inlet with the check valve, i'm sure there was a reason why i picked that spot.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/specs/el_washer/el_washer_03.jpg)
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post May 20 2024, 08:45 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have an electric pump and, like Sir Andy, I don't remember all the details but I do remember drilling out the hole in the cap. The other problem that I had was that I only had a check-valve at the "T", which allowed it to leak on one side. I ended up buying another inline one to solve that problem.
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 20 2024, 09:18 AM
Post #10

Thanks both. It should not be a problem to drill a hole at the same spot you did Andy.

Here's a pic of the other side and from the side.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I suppose I should not drill all the way through, right?

Mine is leaking at both nozzles so I hope drilling the hole will solve the issue.
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 23 2024, 02:32 AM
Post #11

Drilled the hole in the same spot as Andy did. So no way back now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Window washer with the electrical pump was working already without the additional hole and still works now (very good woth the pump) so fingers crossed the system will not leak from the nozzles anymore now! Thanks everyone for the advise!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post May 23 2024, 06:35 AM
Post #12

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I designed and 3D printed a bunch of discs to replace the valve in the washer bottle cap. This disc has 4 small holes for venting, but small enough that little can enter other than air. Being 3D printed the disc is somewhat porous already.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:19 AM