Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A bit of a wiggle job is an understatement Brake Switch at pedal, Trying to get to the brake switch at the pedal
thecleanoutking
post May 22 2024, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,109
Region Association: South East States

I was trying to get to the brake switch at the pedal to rule out any issues there..

Oh boy!! posted another thread yesterday (someone said it was a bit of a wiggle job) I'd say.. just to get to the two allens that hold the kick board i had to basically remove the carpet, half my console and after all that I still can't get the kick board out..

The carpet had holes for the clutch pedal, brake pedal, accelerator pedal and even a separate hole for the rod behind the gas pedal (which I ended up just putting a slice into that small hole or I might still be there)..

Now still can't get the kick board out but I lifted it and after removing a small mouse nest i can barley see what I think is the switch...man.. Should have started with the switch at the master?? why two switches any advice on the kick board and pedal switch?

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 22 2024, 11:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I would pull the pedal assembly, do a good scrub, patch (if necessary), prime and paint the floor/MC mounting flange. Check the pedals for looseness and re assemble. Make like new
+Quote Post
thecleanoutking
post May 22 2024, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Does the pedal assembly come out in one unit without a bunch of springs plundgers ect.. cause might be beyond my skill level, i can't even wiggle the kickboard out of the way
without feeling like I'll break it...surprisingly car has very little real rot don't think I'll have to patch much

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 22 2024, 11:32 AM) *

I would pull the pedal assembly, do a good scrub, patch (if necessary), prime and paint the floor/MC mounting flange. Check the pedals for looseness and re assemble. Make like new

+Quote Post
Steve
post May 22 2024, 12:17 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

There is only one switch that operates the brake lights and its under that pedal board. Here is a link to what it looks like. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9116...CxoCGJcQAvD_BwE
The brake pedal pushes on that lever. To get the pedal board out, you have to push the clutch pedal down to get that side out and then you should be able to manipulate the brake pedal side out. You can also remove the pedal pads for a little more space. I agree with removing the pedals. Undo the two 13mm nuts and lift it up and out. It does come out as one piece. I would send the pedals to bdstone914 on the board and have him rebuild them. He did my pedals.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65920
+Quote Post
Ishley
post May 22 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 25,957
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There are four nuts. The ones in the floor and then you have to take the two off that hold the master cylinder on. Those are accessed from underneath after you remove the steering rack cover.
+Quote Post
thecleanoutking
post May 22 2024, 12:32 PM
Post #6

Thanks for good information I actually have a new switch just can't seem to locate the old one until I remove the kick board, will work on that in a bit, hot here in Florida, I was seeing two brake switches when I was looking up some parts.. one on the master but I haven't looked there yet was hesitant to pull that cover down from underneath I'm afraid as to what i might see..lol..only had the car a few weeks..

Pelican Parts

There seems to be a rod on the back of the gas pedal will that come out with the assembly or is that another step?

QUOTE(Steve @ May 22 2024, 12:17 PM) *

There is only one switch that operates the brake lights and its under that pedal board. Here is a link to what it looks like. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9116...CxoCGJcQAvD_BwE
The brake pedal pushes on that lever. To get the pedal board out, you have to push the clutch pedal down to get that side out and then you should be able to manipulate the brake pedal side out. You can also remove the pedal pads for a little more space. I agree with removing the pedals. Undo the two 13mm nuts and lift it up and out. It does come out as one piece. I would send the pedals to bdstone on the board and have him rebuild them. He did my pedals.
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 22 2024, 12:47 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(thecleanoutking @ May 22 2024, 11:32 AM) *

Thanks for good information I actually have a new switch just can't seem to locate the old one until I remove the kick board, will work on that in a bit, hot here in Florida, I was seeing two brake switches when I was looking up some parts.. one on the master but I haven't looked there yet was hesitant to pull that cover down from underneath I'm afraid as to what i might see..lol..only had the car a few weeks..

Pelican Parts

There seems to be a rod on the back of the gas pedal will that come out with the assembly or is that another step?

QUOTE(Steve @ May 22 2024, 12:17 PM) *

The brake pedal pushes on that lever. To get the pedal board out, you have to push the clutch pedal down to get that side out and then you should be able to manipulate the brake pedal side out. You can also remove the pedal pads for a little more space. I agree with removing the pedals. Undo the two 13mm nuts and lift it up and out. It does come out as one piece. I would send the pedals to bdstone on the board and have him rebuild them. He did my pedals.

Just pop the ball off of the accelerator arm. I used a small open end wrench to pop the ball out. The clutch cable uses a clevis that has to be pushed up from the arm and slid out. I forgot about the additional two 13mm nuts on the master cylinder. So a total of 4 13mm nuts and the assembly should lift up from the front to clear the two studs and then pull straight out. Here is a link to what the clutch clevis pin looks like. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9991...-166-001-02-OEM
Pelican has some good DIY articles including the pedal rebuilt one. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...dal_cluster.htm
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 22 2024, 02:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

If you are not the handy type, maybe it's better to find a decent workshop to keep her purring
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 22 2024, 02:40 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

I would just use this to train yourself to be handy. It really is one of the most frustrating 'easy' jobs on the 914. That clevis clip is probably the toughest part.

And be prepared for the switch to make no difference on the brake light
+Quote Post
Literati914
post May 22 2024, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 22 2024, 03:40 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Damn, that's so typical !!

+Quote Post
thecleanoutking
post May 22 2024, 05:21 PM
Post #11

Thank you for the words of encouragement, I've owned a number of VW's and the reason I started with VW's was that that were pretty simple to work on, I just have to learn a bit more about this type of car. Its like a complicated VW bus in a1/3 of the space to work..

plus I'm not really that good at mechanics even though I do enjoy it when I do things right..lol

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 22 2024, 02:40 PM) *

I would just use this to train yourself to be handy. It really is one of the most frustrating 'easy' jobs on the 914. That clevis clip is probably the toughest part.

+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 22 2024, 06:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

After 35 years of opels, Fords, BMWs, etc, I have to say, the 914 is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Besides the little issue of rust, I would say it is really well designed for the owner to fix everything without crazy tools or skills. From the engine to the suspension. Overall an excellent car to maintain.
+Quote Post
thecleanoutking
post May 22 2024, 07:58 PM
Post #13

Ok..I've just always head to kinda stay away not sure why.. they do seam very similar to a VW 1975 bus I had engine wise other things too...just always heard they are a pain, I guess some mechanics just want to work on Fords and Chevy's others can work on anything... Some people are afraid of the unknown and not willing to try..I'm willing to try and learn as much as I can but I do feel limited in my skill level..

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 22 2024, 06:12 PM) *

After 35 years of opels, Fords, BMWs, etc, I have to say, the 914 is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Besides the little issue of rust, I would say it is really well designed for the owner to fix everything without crazy tools or skills. From the engine to the suspension. Overall an excellent car to maintain.

+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 22 2024, 08:45 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The kick board is a monkey puzzle. What works for me is to first remove the pedal rubber covers, second push the clutch pedal about halfway down and wiggle the board up and off that, and finally twist the board to clear the brake pedal. Oh, and pop the access pedal off the push rod so it folds rearward and out of the way.
+Quote Post
FL000
post May 22 2024, 08:55 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,076

Maybe I missed it, but if not the sensor on the master cylinder is a brake pressure warning switch (for instrument gauge warning light).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=363408
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:03 AM