Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Request for Prayer and Help if Possible, Not for the faint of heart, or faith…
EdwardBlume
post Aug 24 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Dude, you want a C-GT over your 914??? WTF? I'm offended. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

All people are different. Accept it and enjoy the ride.

This site rocks and I enjoy seeing posts on kids born, birthdays, certain needs, and of course 914 content. Peace.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 24 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96
Region Association: None

Regardless of how much you agree or disagree with the recent said threads, I still think it's in bad taste to post this. It's like a slap in the face to all the club members who have lost someone they cared about and turned to the club for support.

Others may not take it as such, but I view this as a spit-on-your-face to anyone who has ever asked for support, or has lost someone, on this club site. That's all the Dave Cawdreys, Hunters, Eastons, Nikos, people fighting over seas, Joe Buckle, Brian's Grandmother, my grandfather, Scott's father, Sean's father, Pastor Dave's father, and numerous others. Anyone who has asked for support, or has recieved support.

This is a humbling thread. Shows me that I need to look for my friends and support elsewhere. I had no idea that asking for some support was so unwelcomed here.

That's all from me, I'll be in St. Louis attending a funeral. I doubt I'll be checking in here as much in the future. My car runs decently, so I guess unlike some, I don't use this forum solely for tech support.

Jen
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Aug 24 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #23

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

I nominate that we rename this (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) avater for Steve. Cold man........Cold
You do write pretty though. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Aug 25 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #24

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

I'm not done man I'm still pissed. I probably should stop, but yeah this got under my skin. You've got a few members that had family die and you gotta know that they are going to read this. What??? They are suppose to find the humor in it?

Look now were both guilty. I could of just stopped reading like you could of stopped reading the other posts. Yeah, yeah I know.........but this is not about religion for me so take me out of that box. It's about having respect and holding your tongue......I mean digits. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pissoff.gif)

Jenny(In my best Forrest Gump voice) let this roll off, there's lurkers like me that do care.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Aug 25 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #25

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

I think I did a reasonable job of demonstrating that it is the religious agendas that were at issue, not the compassion for human suffering. I don’t know how I could have made that more clear. The emotional appeal that suggests that I am some how not sympathetic to the loss each and every person experiences is completely unfounded. It is also somewhat vicious to suggest such a thing. A very one-sided view. I never condemned the use of the club as a support mechanism, in fact I said it was a necessary byproduct of having such a close knit group of people. The fact is that some people are more public with their lives than others, and that is natural. Just because I’m not comfortable posting to a thread about someone’s loss does not in any way mean I am not as affected or compassionate as anyone else.

I am always amazed at the aggression some people display when voicing their opinion….. rather than being able to intelligently present a point of view, they resort to scathing accusations and assumptions in a sensational display of…… nothing, totally avoiding the issue. There are plenty of places and mediums for people to conjugate and communicate about religious matters. I would gladly hang out with anyone on the board and discuss theology until the sun comes up. I would however not turn a 914club event into a platform for those discussions in mixed company. To refer to me as an atheist clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding for the meaning of the word. It is equally flawed to presume one person has suffered any more or less than another.

While there are people lined up to claim foul that I would dare take issue with the solicitation of prayer, not one person has chimed in saying they didn’t realize it made some people uncomfortable. Why is that? Honestly, it’s because they don’t care if they make people uncomfortable, there is enough of a religious faction to support the behavior and justify it….. it has been that way for 2000 years. We still live in a culture that abides by the illusion that “under God” is somehow universal, and that anyone taking exception to that is in error.

My point is that making even one person uncomfortable is too many. Was my post rude and somewhat distasteful…… of course it was…… just like any other post that has an agenda that is more important than the feelings of an individual. Just seeing the word prayer in a thread title strikes me as inappropriate. Now, if for example, someone experienced a loss, and someone responded that they were in their prayers….. I think that is fine and in fact very kind. It is the solicitation that is the issue. I am still amazed that no one seems to mind that they make others uncomfortable.

I feel badly that anyone would think I didn’t care about what they are going through, because that couldn’t be further from the truth. Of our 4000 members there isn’t anyone I don’t like. While I hate that this thread made some people upset, I can only hope that they try to understand what I’m getting at….. instead of taking it as a personal attack.

+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 25 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #26

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Aug 24 2005, 11:24 PM)
I would gladly hang out with anyone on the board and discuss theology until the sun comes up.

At which time you return to your basement and commence with the Sleep of Ages?

(you left the basement door wide open on that one (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) )
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Aug 25 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #27

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

While I’m not the most prolific poster out there, I’ve enjoyed being a club member for the last two and a half years. The whole point of this was to bring people closer together through mutual respect of social boundaries. Clearly the topic is too close to home for some people to be objective about. Would it have made any difference if I made a nice subtle post requesting that religious solicitation be avoided….. probably not.

I fully accept that many people will never understand, but if you are one of them, you really should think about it instead of just lashing out. By making a public request for prayer, you are offending people and inviting public scrutiny. Today I was that scrutiny. I spoke for many that feel the same way, but choose not to say anything on a daily basis. Religious freedom includes freedom from religion. I have complete faith in the human spirit and it’s ability to persevere through the toughest times. People can love and support one another without religion being involved.

For those who have shared a loss with the club, I assure you this was not a betrayal of that trust. Any support I offered, though anonymous, was heartfelt and sincere.

I can’t imagine the 914club without Jenny, so I embark on a voluntary vow of silence until she invites me back. I do reserve the right to lurk though. I like you guys too much.

Yes, I am bringing snow tires so I can still drive my 914 when hell freezes over. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)

+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Aug 25 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 640

Ideally religion should be a private thing...however, I do not mind that some people need to express their faith in public...sometimes it can be a little over the top, but that's ok. It is a way for some to make their feelings known. I think I undersand what LvSteveH is saying, and it seems harmless to me. Perhaps he is reacting with a polite backlash against the current trend towards expressing religious beliefs in public? I understand that. When politicians and news anchors do this, I have to roll my eyes...pure pandering at its worst. I am an atheist...all I can say is people should respect the beliefs of others....including those who do not believe in their deity. Fewer wars that way, huh?

We all experience grief and tragedy. Hopefully we all have a way to deal with it....including sharing with others as we deem appropriate.

This is a great community. Come back Jenny. Come back LvSteveH.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 25 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #29

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Aug 25 2005, 04:11 AM)

I can’t imagine the 914club without Jenny, so I embark on a voluntary vow of silence until she invites me back. I do reserve the right to lurk though. I like you guys too much.

ALLAH ACKBAR!!

-drives into a Jiffy Lube-

M
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Aug 25 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,225

Is there a digging smiley?

I only reply so as not to be confused with a member of this offended silent community for whom you speak.

You are obviously an intelligent person with a formidable vocabulary. Surely you didn't expect someone who is asking for support in the midst of a very real crisis involving a seriously ill or dying loved one, to defer their much needed energies toward analyzing and finding pragmatic meaning hidden in a theoretical, self-righteous riddle....while thinking you were a funny guy all the while.

That's not an accusation. I'm really saying that I'm sure that was not your intention. It may, however, have come off that way to some....much like when someone asking others to keep a friend in their thoughts and prayers is confused with religious zealotry.

+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 25 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #31

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Steve,

Come on, if you don't like a thread don't respond to it. But don't be a smart-ass and try to make some social statement and mock others. As you can see you've pissed some people off and folks now think less of you. You really made your point.

Disscussion boards are great. You can say things to people or about people that you will never-ever meet face to face. You write real smooth. But you should ask yourself if you'd say the things you write if we were all face to face.

Paul

+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 25 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #32

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

PEOPLE WHO ARE NEW TO THIS THREAD: BEFORE YOU POST, Think; "Do I need to step in poop today?"

1. You can't win.

2. There are many footprints in this pooh.

3. There are other threads, with more poohtential.

M
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 25 2005, 08:07 AM
Post #33

****************************************************************************************************

Some days my shoes are covered with poop. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
swood
post Aug 25 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 251

"God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble."
-James 4:6

Proverbs 1:22-33

22 “ How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.
24 Because I have called and you refused,
I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
25 Because you disdained all my counsel,
And would have none of my rebuke,
26 I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when your terror comes,
27 When your terror comes like a storm,
And your destruction comes like a whirlwind,
When distress and anguish come upon you.
28 “ Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.
29 Because they hated knowledge
And did not choose the fear of the LORD,
30 They would have none of my counsel
And despised my every rebuke.
31 Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,
And be filled to the full with their own fancies.
32 For the turning away of the simple will slay them,
And the complacency of fools will destroy them;
33 But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,
And will be secure, without fear of evil.”

“ For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
- Isiah 55:8

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
- Matthew 11:28

As things created, its natural for us to recognize our need for our Creator, and search or cry out to Him in prayer. It's also natural for an unchanged heart to resist and dismiss this need to be reconciled to Him.

I feel no need to get into a pissing contest about this subject. Us Christians can't and won't force you to believe. You're free to live your life however you want, but that doesn't change the facts of life (and death) and that you will be held accountable in the end.

-end
(poop stepped in)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 25 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #35

Oh man, did you step in it....

P
+Quote Post
swood
post Aug 25 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 251

QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 25 2005, 07:58 AM)
Oh man, did you step in it....

P

Oh well...I try.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 25 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #37

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

My wife and I want to get a British Bulldog Puppy. Unfortunately, they are very expensive and have alot of health problems. If we get one and its a girl, I want to name it Daisy or Beulah, if its a boy Brutus or Spike.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

(IMG:http://www.petsplace.co.za/nelson.jpg)
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 25 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #38

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

Awww what a cute widdle puppy-wuppy. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Aug 25 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #39

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Damn JasonS, that was quite possibly the best thread hi-jack in history. Smooth, well thought out and concise, with a picture to add to the temptation. For that I salute you (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
What kind of health problems do these dogs have?
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Aug 25 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #40

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Nice try Jason...but everyone knows that "Dog" is "God" spelled backwards (or visa-versa)! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

Cool lookin' puppy.......or is it a yppup?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:36 PM