Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.7s market value, whats it worth
sean_v8_914
post Sep 5 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #21

Chingon 601

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,541

teh carbs are just carbs. no linkage, no manifolds.
how much should I pay for used linkage and manifolds?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 6 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

You'll need PMO manifolds to properly cover the odd ball shape of the CIS intake ports on the 2.7....there are some other ways to cobble them together.... Last I looked, the manifolds new were 300 bucks. PMO can also supply linkage....dunno the cost.
Care must be used when buying used Webers. Wornout/crud ladened carbs are a nightmare that you don't want any part of. I only would buy them from people I trust. Talk to sixnotfour (Jeff Hienz) o this BBS. He may have some.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 6 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #23

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

CIS is not a BAD induction system. I have had two motors with it. Kinda like D-Jet, once you understand it it's simple.

LOT's of spare parts out there and the little winky board has a a lot of guys that have screwed it up and learned from the mistakes.

But if you DO go with Carbs....the triples have a shaft issue that is an expensive fix. $3K for PMOs sounds expensive but compared to used Webers at $1500..... the PMOs almost are worth it....BTW, they ARE a work of art.

Last I heard they only talk via fax....odd but hey they are the only game in town for new triples....they make a 50mm that makes the 3.6 really scream. Of course the carbs make yer gas mileage go in the toilet....the cams need an upgrade to REALLY get what the carbs can give ya.....gee sounds like the T-4!!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Sep 6 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 178

When CIS is working correctly it is a very good and reliable system. Lots of folks don't like it because it is very complicated to troubleshoot or repair until you completely understand it.
Putting carbs on an otherwise stock 2.7 will get you a little improvement in throttle response and maybe a little increase in top end, but it won't wake the engine up unless you change to higher compression pistons and or hotter cams.

If there is any way to hook it up to an engine dyno and run the darned thing, that would be huge.
Otherwise you will have to assume everything needs to be rebuilt.

The difference between a good running engine and a core can be several thousand dollars.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Sep 6 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #25

Chingon 601

the guy wants to throw the 2.7 in on a trade deal for my boat. he values it at 2K (in his mind) the carbs are part of the trade. I would guess the carbs to be a problem since one of them comes in a basket. the motor would have to be a solid $2k value for me to consider the rest of teh package deal to relenquish my boat (AKA money pit)

the thought of a 914/6 is sooooooo tempting
+Quote Post
Racing916
post Sep 6 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,959
Region Association: North East States

Linkage is around $90.00 to $100 bucks when I bought it about a year ago. If you go with the PMO's they will give you the whole kit including air cleaners, etc..

I was told by PMO that they currently have a shortage of PMO's 40mm, and they are not expecting to have them in for a few months. Just an FYI.

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 6 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #27

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I got the manifolds, linkage, etc...for my 2.7 from Richard at PMO, as well as rebuild kits for my 356s Webers. He's a nice guy and the shop is pretty cool for a little shop.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Sep 14 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #28

Chingon 601

I started the trade. I loaded up my van with all teh parts: 2ea 2.0 t-4, 2 sets of 96mm and teh 2.7 last night. I was going to arrange to deliver teh boat tomorrow but...

I woke up early, set the coffee to brew and went out to check out my score with dreams of 914/6 dancing in my head. I grabbed a 13mm and a 10mm and within 5 minutes, the CIS was on teh ground. another minute with the ratched reveiled the horror within. only 4 top head studs have been case saver'd. why not do them all? the front right intake had water in it many years ago. I rotated the engine about 1/4 turn and it locked up just as teh intake valve opened up just enough for me to peak inside to look down into the rusty, crusty cylinder. one head to cylinder was leaking combustioon too.

I have not delivered the boat but if I keep teh 2.7 I will have a good anchor for my boat
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 14 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #29

Irrelevant old fart

Not a grand...maybe 200 bucks. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Sep 15 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #30

Chingon 601

a 2.0 type 4 core is worth 200 bucks so 200 sounds low for a 2.7 core
a grand seems high. perhaps teh 911 bbs on teh bird might yeild some answers
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 15 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #31

Irrelevant old fart

That was a semi-joke, but.......A motor that won't roll over
is worth only what you can part it out for.....taking into consideration your time and effort.....and that's a risk as
some or many of the higher value rotating parts may be hosed.

Where water is involved, it can get ugly. I have a freebie 2.7 settin' on the bench that is gonna take mucho ..."cleaning" doesn't describe the challenge. Dunno if it was worth the price (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 15 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #32

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Take the sump plate off and see what comes out. check for bearing material at the least.
"Eddie914" just posted some interesting finds and "Porsche Rescue" did also.

If it wont roll over you have to expect it to be Hosed , (oops thats JP's line)
The crank and rods are the only thing left that is worth the most$$$, If they are any good.

2.7 california motor has had about the worst case senario , heat, traffic ,driven alot.
I expect it would have some pulled studs in its life time. PO probably band aid to keep it running " couple of inserts "

search the bird classifieds for 2.7 engine ,there is a Known runner 1000.00 with alot of extra's
Oh wait its sold to Eddie.

Not trying to negative, Expect the worst , Hope for the Best (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:51 PM