Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> dead key switch?, car won't start/ bad key switch?
dragoon914
post Aug 2 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 975

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Just the other day I took a friend out to breakfast. Car was running fine. When we returned to the car and turned on the key the car did not respond, nothing happened, as if the battery was dead. Did a test and the battery was fine. Thought perhaps the starter might be malfunctioning. Had the car towed to my mechanic to check things out. Two days went by and made a call to see what my mechanic found out. Guess what? The car started fine for him, no problem. He couldn't figure why I had the car in for service. Any body out there ever experience anything like this before? I can only guess that the ignition switch might be on the fritz?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 2 2003, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

you could have bump started the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) yes, i had the same problem with my key switch. PP has a tech article on it!
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 2 2003, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Sticky solinoid!

Jeff
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 2 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #4

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

did all the dash lights ( gen light, oil pressure light)work with key on? did the horn work? did the headlights work? if not. maybe a bad battery connection. if yes, electrical part of ignition could be at fault. or starter and/or solenoid could be at fault. Its pretty easy to "bump "start a 914 with a small push. Need more info!!!!!
+Quote Post
Carl
post Aug 2 2003, 07:12 PM
Post #5

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

Ahhh, yes! The infamous 914 hot start problem. It seems that as the cars age the wiring and connectors don't pass electrons as easily as they once did. The result is the slightly reduced voltage is insufficient to close the solenoid on the starter so, when you turn the key, nothing happens.

The short term fix is to have a friend turn the key while you give the starter a sharp whack with a crescent wrench (or similar weighty tool). The longer term fix is to install a lower voltage Ford relay to energize the solenoid or replace the starter altogether with a good replacement, preferably the high torque model (and high priced) model that Pelican carries.

Carl
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 2 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

here is the article for replacing the switch:

Ignition switch replacement

hope this helps
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 2 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #7

Professional Lawn Dart

and i believe you can buy just the solenoid for the starter. i think performance products ells them. or try your FLAPS.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 3 2003, 07:07 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i'll go first. this is one of the most common posts. 1. check the ground strap at the tranny, clean the connection points, the stud on the on the bottom of the rear trunk too. replace if frayed. 2. have starter checked. 3. carry a hammer to tap on the starter, fun if the engine is warm.

kevin
+Quote Post
BenNC
post Aug 3 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 267

Anybody with directions on how to wire up the Ford relay?

Thanks
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 3 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

If it's the ignition switch it will usually start for a while with some jiggling of the key. Then eventually...it won't. Easy fix and the part is only like $14. But you do have to hang upside down under the steering column to get at the electrical connectors, unless you are lucky enough to do it blindly by feel reaching from above.

More likely, it's your starter or the connections to it - the infamous "hot start" problem. First step is to check/clean all the ground points on the car and make sure you have a good beefy + connection from battery to starter. My car had hot-start issues which the PO had tried to "address" using one of those cheesy solenoid kits. Putting a new battery, starter and battery cables in the car completely solved it even when the car is blisteringly hot.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 3 2003, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

I hope I didn't bother anyone - but I merged the replies to these two topics.

-Rusty
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 3 2003, 06:52 PM
Post #12

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dragoon914 @ Aug 2 2003, 04:44 PM)
Just the other day I took a friend out to breakfast. Car was running fine. When we returned to the car and turned on the key the car did not respond, nothing happened...

you didn't mention what year...

in addition to the (in)famous hot-start problem, some years have a seat-belt interlock relay under the driver's seat that can screw up and cause no-start. if you have a vehicle from one of the affected years, check that too.

where's Beach City ? i'm in Lansdale (although this weekend, i was at the Audi show in Springfield MA...)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 03:53 PM