Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dead key switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dragoon914
huh.gif Just the other day I took a friend out to breakfast. Car was running fine. When we returned to the car and turned on the key the car did not respond, nothing happened, as if the battery was dead. Did a test and the battery was fine. Thought perhaps the starter might be malfunctioning. Had the car towed to my mechanic to check things out. Two days went by and made a call to see what my mechanic found out. Guess what? The car started fine for him, no problem. He couldn't figure why I had the car in for service. Any body out there ever experience anything like this before? I can only guess that the ignition switch might be on the fritz?
Aaron Cox
you could have bump started the car confused24.gif yes, i had the same problem with my key switch. PP has a tech article on it!
Jeffs9146
Sticky solinoid!

Jeff
TheCabinetmaker
did all the dash lights ( gen light, oil pressure light)work with key on? did the horn work? did the headlights work? if not. maybe a bad battery connection. if yes, electrical part of ignition could be at fault. or starter and/or solenoid could be at fault. Its pretty easy to "bump "start a 914 with a small push. Need more info!!!!!
Carl
Ahhh, yes! The infamous 914 hot start problem. It seems that as the cars age the wiring and connectors don't pass electrons as easily as they once did. The result is the slightly reduced voltage is insufficient to close the solenoid on the starter so, when you turn the key, nothing happens.

The short term fix is to have a friend turn the key while you give the starter a sharp whack with a crescent wrench (or similar weighty tool). The longer term fix is to install a lower voltage Ford relay to energize the solenoid or replace the starter altogether with a good replacement, preferably the high torque model (and high priced) model that Pelican carries.

Carl
Aaron Cox
here is the article for replacing the switch:

Ignition switch replacement

hope this helps
Aaron Cox
and i believe you can buy just the solenoid for the starter. i think performance products ells them. or try your FLAPS.
rhodyguy
i'll go first. this is one of the most common posts. 1. check the ground strap at the tranny, clean the connection points, the stud on the on the bottom of the rear trunk too. replace if frayed. 2. have starter checked. 3. carry a hammer to tap on the starter, fun if the engine is warm.

kevin
BenNC
Anybody with directions on how to wire up the Ford relay?

Thanks
campbellcj
If it's the ignition switch it will usually start for a while with some jiggling of the key. Then eventually...it won't. Easy fix and the part is only like $14. But you do have to hang upside down under the steering column to get at the electrical connectors, unless you are lucky enough to do it blindly by feel reaching from above.

More likely, it's your starter or the connections to it - the infamous "hot start" problem. First step is to check/clean all the ground points on the car and make sure you have a good beefy + connection from battery to starter. My car had hot-start issues which the PO had tried to "address" using one of those cheesy solenoid kits. Putting a new battery, starter and battery cables in the car completely solved it even when the car is blisteringly hot.
Lawrence
I hope I didn't bother anyone - but I merged the replies to these two topics.

-Rusty
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dragoon914 @ Aug 2 2003, 04:44 PM)
Just the other day I took a friend out to breakfast. Car was running fine. When we returned to the car and turned on the key the car did not respond, nothing happened...

you didn't mention what year...

in addition to the (in)famous hot-start problem, some years have a seat-belt interlock relay under the driver's seat that can screw up and cause no-start. if you have a vehicle from one of the affected years, check that too.

where's Beach City ? i'm in Lansdale (although this weekend, i was at the Audi show in Springfield MA...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.