Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HISTORY LESSON, I need a history critic / english major
ninefourteener
post Aug 5 2003, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

914 club....

Get this, Scott Air Force Base is having a base-wide picnic this Friday, and I was asked to show my teener at a very small car-show for military only.

Here's the kicker..... I get the day off, but I have to write a brief, 1 page "history" on the car. I think this is because several schools will be visiting... not sure.

Anyway... I AM NOT AN EXPERT. This is what I came up with. Some things might be right, some things might be completely wrong.... but I did the best I could.

I know.. kinda stupid, but I could really use your help on this. Considering I own maybe 1 of 4 or 5 in the entire Saint Louis area, I want it to sound good.

So.. I need some constructive critisism. Text posted on the next page.............
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Aug 5 2003, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

The Porsche 914 was built from 1970 to 1976. It was a joint effort between Porsche and Volkswagen to build a small, lightweight, 2 seater to compete with the European sportscars of the day (MG, Triumph, Jaguar). Porsche designed and engineered the car, but to keep costs down, Volkswagen manufactured it. Almost everything externally visible is Porsche, and almost everything not visible (engine, drivetrain, etc) is Volkswagen.

Although the 914 was never “blisteringly” powerful, it dominated the competition, due to its exceptional handling characteristics. The mid-engine, mid-seated, wide wheelbase design, coupled with nearly 50/50 weight distribution, extremely low center of gravity, and incredibly low Gross vehicle weight (1900 lbs) enabled the 914 to take sharp curves much quicker than any other comparable vehicles built during the same time period, including many ultra-expensive Italian exotics.

The 914s were discontinued in 1976 due to emissions constraints, notoriously bad electrical problems, and overwhelming customer complaints about premature rusting. Because of these problems, and the fact that the cars originally were not very expensive, most were discarded, left to rot away, and eventually crushed at junkyards. Locating one outside of rust-free areas (California, Arizona, etc) is extremely difficult. Only recently (the past 5-10 years) has the 914 developed a small following, and been considered a sought-after classic.

Today, the 914 is extremely popular among entry level auto-cross racers because of its handling characteristics, and low initial cost (by comparison). With relatively moderate engine performance upgrades, the car (30 years later) still competes very well with high performance modern sports cars and import sport sedans.

And occasionally, you’ll find someone that appreciates the car for the way it was originally built.

---SSgt Matthew Loomis
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 5 2003, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hmm, the car had electrical problems??
They stopped making them because VW needed the production line to make the Scirroco at the Karmann plant. Porsche didn't want to stop production as the car was still selling ok and making money something Porsche didn't have alot of in the 70's.. The rust issues came up later, not when they were new.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Aug 5 2003, 04:28 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Most of it sounds pretty good, IMO, but I'm not sure it's fair to say the 914 dominated the competition. Be sure to mention that a 914/6 won its class at Le mans in 1970 and maybe bring a poster to prove it.

My $0.02,
Alfred
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Aug 5 2003, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 506

Well Sargent, I'd add in something about the 914's class win at Le Mans. It is arguably the car's defining moment. Congrats on getting invited to a show also!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 5 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #6

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I would add some about how popular the cars are with the 3.0 3.2 and 3.6 motors and how they are faster than a new 911.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 5 2003, 05:05 PM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Some racing history details:

The (private entry) SUNAUTO 914-6 finished the 1970 Le Mans 24 hour race in sixth overall, winning the over and under 2 liter GT class outright.

In 1971 a 914-6 GT driven by Peter Gregg won the first IMSA championship, defeating all comers in both under and over 2 litre classes!

There is a lot of other good racing history that I hope others will post about.
-Ben M.

ps - seanery: it would be great if your sig was about 3 lines rather than 19.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 5 2003, 05:05 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I've never seen or heard anything about them having bad electrical problems.

If they do, it's due to the owners, not the manufactures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Other than that, it looks good.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't put anything negative in the article with respect to the problems the cars did and do have. It could end up kicking you in the @ss down the road if you try to sell your car and someone just by chance remembered reading your article.
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 5 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 184

i have always heard that porsche wanted to continue production but vw ( still not a true 'german' company after wwII. run by the brits ) wanted to screw porsche and charge full retail for the karman built bodies in white on the 914-6. thus production of the 916 never really bore fruit. hearsay, but probably true.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 5 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #10

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

Good essay, Sergeant, but it's editorial content seems slightly negative about the car.

I wasn't old enough to remember 914s in 1976, but I doubt there were significant customer complaints about cars rusting out. Very few cars back then were fully galvanized. It's an issue now for collectors/enthusiasts.

Also, there ARE rust-free cars outside of California... but they are prized by their owners, and much more expensive once you move into the rust-belt, Northeast or Deep South. I don't think it's fair to say that "most" 914s were left to rot or abandoned in junkyards.

Oh, and there has been a following for 914s longer than 5-10 years.

One complaint that *was* valid back then was slightly vague shifting. I think Alfred/Jeff may have the original ads and reviews....

Chief B.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Aug 5 2003, 06:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tryan @ Aug 5 2003, 03:06 PM)
i have always heard that porsche wanted to continue production but vw ( still not a true 'german' company after wwII. run by the brits ) wanted to screw porsche and charge full retail for the karman built bodies in white on the 914-6. thus production of the 916 never really bore fruit. hearsay, but probably true.

Naw.

Nordhoff, Porsche's buddy at VW up and died. The VW side of the deal for the bodies for the 914 built by Karman (via VW) died with Nordhoff. I don't remember his successor's name but he started charging something more for the body. They included part of the tooling cost amortized into the price of a body I believe.

I don't really know why they let the 914 die other than Porsche had (has) the dumbest marketing department on the planet.

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 5 2003, 07:00 PM
Post #12

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(kdfoust @ Aug 5 2003, 04:54 PM)
Porsche had (has) the dumbest marketing department on the planet.

They must be doing something right to be one of the most profitable car companies in the world?
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 5 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #13

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

I don't really know why they let the 914 die other than Porsche had (has) the dumbest marketing department on the planet.

They were prepping for the wasser-pumpers.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 5 2003, 07:13 PM
Post #14

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

The 914 outsold the 356.....with 1/2 of the model years....90% of the 914s were sold in the US....75% in California.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 5 2003, 07:25 PM
Post #15

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I have been a 914 fan since they were new, and an owner since 82.

We used to just drive them 'til the end, then shoot 'em and get another one.

Dood, I wish I had all that rusty metal back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The 914 tubs cost them more than 911s. --edit--

M
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 5 2003, 08:17 PM
Post #16

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Porsche was changing thier focus to water cooled cars (924/928) and pollution regulations were too much for the type IV engine. Also crash standards (big ulgy bumpers) added weight and lowered performance. A major redesign was needed and the car was just at the end of its life.

Also the cars of it's day were the MGB, Datsun 240Z, Opel GT, TR6 & GT6, Fiat 124, but it never went up against the Jag. When is the last time you saw on of them on the road?

Paul
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Aug 5 2003, 08:30 PM
Post #17

Unregistered

I think that if the 914 would've begun life as a 73 2.0 with its bigger motor and its upgraded suspension parts, and had a Rennshifter and cost $500 less, the automotive press would've raved about it. A big part of the poor press that it got was the fact that the car was expensive when new (about as much as a new Corvette back then).

Alfred
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 5 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 184

nordoff sucessor was kurt lotz that pinched the verbal agreement. he must have been part french.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 5 2003, 08:47 PM
Post #19

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

bring some of the ads with you. (i have em all) and bring some posters of lemans, targaflorio etc...

PM me if you want some jpegs
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Aug 5 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #20

Unregistered

Here's Car and Driver's review of the 73 2.0.

(IMG:http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/CarandDriver167.jpg)

(IMG:http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/CarandDriver168.jpg)

(IMG:http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/CarandDriver169.jpg)

(IMG:http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/CarandDriver170.jpg)

(IMG:http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/CarandDriver171.jpg)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 12:44 AM