Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HISTORY LESSON
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
914 club....

Get this, Scott Air Force Base is having a base-wide picnic this Friday, and I was asked to show my teener at a very small car-show for military only.

Here's the kicker..... I get the day off, but I have to write a brief, 1 page "history" on the car. I think this is because several schools will be visiting... not sure.

Anyway... I AM NOT AN EXPERT. This is what I came up with. Some things might be right, some things might be completely wrong.... but I did the best I could.

I know.. kinda stupid, but I could really use your help on this. Considering I own maybe 1 of 4 or 5 in the entire Saint Louis area, I want it to sound good.

So.. I need some constructive critisism. Text posted on the next page.............
ninefourteener
The Porsche 914 was built from 1970 to 1976. It was a joint effort between Porsche and Volkswagen to build a small, lightweight, 2 seater to compete with the European sportscars of the day (MG, Triumph, Jaguar). Porsche designed and engineered the car, but to keep costs down, Volkswagen manufactured it. Almost everything externally visible is Porsche, and almost everything not visible (engine, drivetrain, etc) is Volkswagen.

Although the 914 was never “blisteringly” powerful, it dominated the competition, due to its exceptional handling characteristics. The mid-engine, mid-seated, wide wheelbase design, coupled with nearly 50/50 weight distribution, extremely low center of gravity, and incredibly low Gross vehicle weight (1900 lbs) enabled the 914 to take sharp curves much quicker than any other comparable vehicles built during the same time period, including many ultra-expensive Italian exotics.

The 914s were discontinued in 1976 due to emissions constraints, notoriously bad electrical problems, and overwhelming customer complaints about premature rusting. Because of these problems, and the fact that the cars originally were not very expensive, most were discarded, left to rot away, and eventually crushed at junkyards. Locating one outside of rust-free areas (California, Arizona, etc) is extremely difficult. Only recently (the past 5-10 years) has the 914 developed a small following, and been considered a sought-after classic.

Today, the 914 is extremely popular among entry level auto-cross racers because of its handling characteristics, and low initial cost (by comparison). With relatively moderate engine performance upgrades, the car (30 years later) still competes very well with high performance modern sports cars and import sport sedans.

And occasionally, you’ll find someone that appreciates the car for the way it was originally built.

---SSgt Matthew Loomis
Bleyseng
Hmm, the car had electrical problems??
They stopped making them because VW needed the production line to make the Scirroco at the Karmann plant. Porsche didn't want to stop production as the car was still selling ok and making money something Porsche didn't have alot of in the 70's.. The rust issues came up later, not when they were new.

Geoff
Alfred
Most of it sounds pretty good, IMO, but I'm not sure it's fair to say the 914 dominated the competition. Be sure to mention that a 914/6 won its class at Le mans in 1970 and maybe bring a poster to prove it.

My $0.02,
Alfred
Hawktel
Well Sargent, I'd add in something about the 914's class win at Le Mans. It is arguably the car's defining moment. Congrats on getting invited to a show also!

aktion035.gif
seanery
I would add some about how popular the cars are with the 3.0 3.2 and 3.6 motors and how they are faster than a new 911.
airsix
Some racing history details:

The (private entry) SUNAUTO 914-6 finished the 1970 Le Mans 24 hour race in sixth overall, winning the over and under 2 liter GT class outright.

In 1971 a 914-6 GT driven by Peter Gregg won the first IMSA championship, defeating all comers in both under and over 2 litre classes!

There is a lot of other good racing history that I hope others will post about.
-Ben M.

ps - seanery: it would be great if your sig was about 3 lines rather than 19.
Mueller
I've never seen or heard anything about them having bad electrical problems.

If they do, it's due to the owners, not the manufactures smile.gif

Other than that, it looks good.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't put anything negative in the article with respect to the problems the cars did and do have. It could end up kicking you in the @ss down the road if you try to sell your car and someone just by chance remembered reading your article.
tryan
i have always heard that porsche wanted to continue production but vw ( still not a true 'german' company after wwII. run by the brits ) wanted to screw porsche and charge full retail for the karman built bodies in white on the 914-6. thus production of the 916 never really bore fruit. hearsay, but probably true.
Lawrence
Good essay, Sergeant, but it's editorial content seems slightly negative about the car.

I wasn't old enough to remember 914s in 1976, but I doubt there were significant customer complaints about cars rusting out. Very few cars back then were fully galvanized. It's an issue now for collectors/enthusiasts.

Also, there ARE rust-free cars outside of California... but they are prized by their owners, and much more expensive once you move into the rust-belt, Northeast or Deep South. I don't think it's fair to say that "most" 914s were left to rot or abandoned in junkyards.

Oh, and there has been a following for 914s longer than 5-10 years.

One complaint that *was* valid back then was slightly vague shifting. I think Alfred/Jeff may have the original ads and reviews....

Chief B.
kdfoust
QUOTE(tryan @ Aug 5 2003, 03:06 PM)
i have always heard that porsche wanted to continue production but vw ( still not a true 'german' company after wwII. run by the brits ) wanted to screw porsche and charge full retail for the karman built bodies in white on the 914-6. thus production of the 916 never really bore fruit. hearsay, but probably true.

Naw.

Nordhoff, Porsche's buddy at VW up and died. The VW side of the deal for the bodies for the 914 built by Karman (via VW) died with Nordhoff. I don't remember his successor's name but he started charging something more for the body. They included part of the tooling cost amortized into the price of a body I believe.

I don't really know why they let the 914 die other than Porsche had (has) the dumbest marketing department on the planet.

Have fun,
Kevin
grantsfo
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Aug 5 2003, 04:54 PM)
Porsche had (has) the dumbest marketing department on the planet.

They must be doing something right to be one of the most profitable car companies in the world?
Lawrence
I don't really know why they let the 914 die other than Porsche had (has) the dumbest marketing department on the planet.

They were prepping for the wasser-pumpers.
Joe Bob
The 914 outsold the 356.....with 1/2 of the model years....90% of the 914s were sold in the US....75% in California.
redshift
I have been a 914 fan since they were new, and an owner since 82.

We used to just drive them 'til the end, then shoot 'em and get another one.

Dood, I wish I had all that rusty metal back.

sad.gif

The 914 tubs cost them more than 911s. --edit--

M
URY914
Porsche was changing thier focus to water cooled cars (924/928) and pollution regulations were too much for the type IV engine. Also crash standards (big ulgy bumpers) added weight and lowered performance. A major redesign was needed and the car was just at the end of its life.

Also the cars of it's day were the MGB, Datsun 240Z, Opel GT, TR6 & GT6, Fiat 124, but it never went up against the Jag. When is the last time you saw on of them on the road?

Paul
Alfred
I think that if the 914 would've begun life as a 73 2.0 with its bigger motor and its upgraded suspension parts, and had a Rennshifter and cost $500 less, the automotive press would've raved about it. A big part of the poor press that it got was the fact that the car was expensive when new (about as much as a new Corvette back then).

Alfred
tryan
nordoff sucessor was kurt lotz that pinched the verbal agreement. he must have been part french.
Aaron Cox
bring some of the ads with you. (i have em all) and bring some posters of lemans, targaflorio etc...

PM me if you want some jpegs
Alfred
Here's Car and Driver's review of the 73 2.0.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
Thanks for posting that. good article- 17 seconds on the 1/4 mile? sheesh!
Aaron Cox
here is my favorate:
ninefourteener
To all..... THANK YOU!!!!

I absolutely love this site. So far, this site has saved me countless hours of time, countless hours of heartsche, and a great deal of money.

And once again, the 914 club has made me feel incredibly stupid....... and I'm thankful for it.

How ironic is that?

Thanks to all!

Cheers!!
beerchug.gif
Alfred
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 5 2003, 07:22 PM)
Thanks for posting that. good article- 17 seconds on the 1/4 mile? sheesh!

Car and Driver tested it again in 1988. The 914's performance numbers compare pretty well to the first generation Miata which is, obviously, a much newer sports car.

Alfred

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
I stole all the ads from AA. good vintage ads fo rthe download. take some of them with you to the show.

here is one that shows some good racing history for the 914
Brad Roberts
So.. after readin all the comments..

I personally think the only thing missing is a reference to THIS web site...LOL

B
ThinAir
As I've heard it VW was looking for something to replace the "aging" Karmann Ghia. Porsche wanted an entry level car. The story about the handshake deal is accurate - VW was selling the bodies at cost to Porsche. The new guy at VW decided they should make some money on the deal. The increased cost to Porsche meant that the price of a 6 cylinder 914 was too close to that of a 911. The 911 was perceived as a "real Porsche" and folks bought it instead of the 914, which hurt sales and that is what eventually lead to the end of production (along with things like VW turning their attention elsewhere).

It is probably more accurate to say that the car is a VW, unless it was a 6 cylinder car. I think the "911" style front suspension was about the only thing Porsche about it other than the 6 cylinder engine. Until 1973 the 4 cylinder engine was very much a VW engine. It was only in 1973 when the Porsche engineers modified the 2.0L heads that the 4 cylinder car became more of a Porsche.

Of course, both cars are really Porsches because of the heritage shared by any German horizontally opposed, air cooled engine. They all trace their basic designs back to Dr. Porsche and the original KDF sedans. That's why I've never minded driving a "VW-Porsche". I enjoy the car for what it is and have no great desire to "move up" to something that has only a Porsche nameplate.
Alfred
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Aug 5 2003, 10:09 PM)
It is probably more accurate to say that the car is a VW, unless it was a 6 cylinder car.

The November 1969 issue of Road & Track says "Dr Porsche pointed out that the design of the 914 was entirely Porsche KG's and that his firm also does much consulting engineering for VW and others". So, it's a Porsche design, built with many VW parts by Karmann. Good combination for an affordable sports car, IMO.

Alfred
ninefourteener
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 5 2003, 06:47 PM)
bring some of the ads with you. (i have em all) and bring some posters of lemans, targaflorio etc...

PM me if you want some jpegs

I just PM'd you.... that would be GREAT!!
tod914
Do you have the Dr. Johnson book on the 914? That has a very comprehensive history on the car.

I also remember reading as a teenager in Road and Track, that for example, the Spitfire had faster slolem times. This also held true for several of it's other competitors. As far as mechanical issues go, the main one was the recall on the fuel lines.

The're cool cars. I always have people at stop lights roll down their window and compliment the car.

Focus on the possitives of the car. GL
ninefourteener
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 6 2003, 06:52 AM)
Do you have the Dr. Johnson book on the 914? That has a very comprehensive history on the car.

Actually, no... I don't. Where can I get it???

You gotta figure. I've loved "pictures" of teeners since I first discovered them, but I'd never actually driven one.

My first teener was bought from AZ, and shipped up, sight unseen, never driven. I just fell in love with it once I had it. Thats why I bought another one

I'm still pretty wet behind the ears if you will.
Bleyseng
They were put out of production because there was no place to build them, like I said. This is from several books and a buddy who worked for Porsche at that time. The cars always sold pretty well 15-20,000 per year but under the goal of 30,000 cars.
The cars also along with the 911's were suffering from the sagging dollar. The sales price climbed from $3550 in 70 to $7300 in 75. Most of you probably don't remember those years but us old farts do. Every thing imported went up in price! So most bought American. I bought a German family car at that time and it was expensive.

Porsche designed the 924 for VW to build but VW decided to drop it. The car was to be build in the old NSU works and they (the factory) came to Porsche with a sweet heart deal so it could be produced and keep all those guys working. That's how that car was made.

Porsche was trying like crazy to keep sales up in 76 since they only had a limited amount of 914 bodies (stamped out in 75) to sell. Why do you think they came out with the 912E? They had all these extra 2.0L engines laying around!
In 1970 the 914 had decent hp for the type of sports car it was-80hp. The 911's base model had 130hp and the 914/6 had 110hp. Choose your favor.
The 73 2.0l car was a sweet car and still is. 95hp, all the goodies, makes for a fun car with good hp and balance! Ever driven a 72 240Z? Very fast but you couldn't turn it for anything.

Geoff
ninefourteener
Nope, cant say I remember that price jump... I was born in 1975--LOL

But yes, I have driven a couple old Zs. They felt kind of "cheap" to me. Maybe I just got a hold of some rickety ones.. I dunno.

I liked the 2nd generation Zs much better.

I do know what you're saying about the advantages of different years. Mine now is a 72, cause I hated the bumper guards in 73 and 74..... forget about the last 2 years.

But the PO built a good, strong 2.0 for it, and converted it to dual Solex carbs.... easier.. I like that.

It just seemed perfect for what I wanted..so I bought it.

Thanks for the info... Man I love this site!

beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Aug 5 2003, 10:09 PM)
It is probably more accurate to say that the car is a VW, unless it was a 6 cylinder car. I think the "911" style front suspension was about the only thing Porsche about it other than the 6 cylinder engine.

if there is a difference, it is that /4's were built by Karmann in their facilities, and /6's were built by Porsche on the assembly line in Zuffenhausen/Ludwigsburg. there are many detail differences between the two cars. Porsche bought completed, painted body shells from Karmann and built them up on their line, mostly with prior model year 911T parts.
tod914
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...8538260-8698207

thats one place - the long book is excellent too. That was actually the one I was thinking of. Click on it. It's $40.00 not $125.00

hmmm link didnt work - goto amazon.com and type in porsche 914
JeffBowlsby
To clear up some earlier hearsay...

In May of 1974, the 100,000th Porsche 914 left the factory and there was a great celebration and even a factory poster was issued. Nearly 60,000 914s had been exported to America as of that date. At that export rate, nearly 72,000 914s would have been shipped to North America (60% of total production), with the remaining 46,000 (40% of total production) staying in Europe. I wonder how many are left?

The fundamental reason that 914 production ceased was the cars high cost, both to the factory and to consumers. The German Mark had escalated so high in value with corresponding exchange rate increases, and at the same time the American dollar value had slipped, that the car became too expensive compared to its US market competition, mainly the Datsun 240Z and Fiat 124.

Oh and THE book to get on the 914s history is Excellence was Expected...unless you read German (I don't)...then its Das Grosse VW-Porsche Buch.

Hi Andy!!! cool.gif
J P Stein
"....a miniature sheetmetal stamping plant ...''...now that's funny. laugh.gif
Alfred
I highly recommend Brian Long's book and Porsche 914 Ultimate Portfolio .

Alfred
Queenie
Ok, you've heard from the tech-smarties and the history buffs - now here's some input from a gen-yoo-wine Engrish Major smile.gif

I've edited your piece as follows. Please feel free to take any of my suggested changes, or to ignore them completely. I make a conscious effort to never change the tone of the writing, but only to edit for better flow and proper grammar.

And if you (or anyone else) would like further editing assistance, feel free to ask me here or just email me - I'm more than happy to offer my services to anyone who needs them!

The Porsche 914 was built from 1970 to 1976. It was a joint effort between Porsche and Volkswagen to build a small, lightweight, 2 seater that would compete with the European sports cars of the day (MG, Triumph, Jaguar). Porsche designed and engineered the car, but it was manufactured by Volkswagen to keep costs down. Almost everything externally visible is Porsche, and almost everything not visible (engine, drivetrain, etc.) is Volkswagen.

Although the 914 was never "blisteringly" powerful, it dominated the competition due to its exceptional handling characteristics. The mid-engine, mid-seated, wide wheelbase design coupled with nearly 50/50 weight distribution, extremely low center of gravity, and incredibly low gross vehicle weight (1900 lbs) allowed the 914 to take sharp curves much more quickly than comparable vehicles built during the same time period, including many high-priced Italian exotics.

The 914s were discontinued in 1976 due to emissions constraints, notoriously bad electrical problems, and overwhelming customer complaints about premature rusting. Because of these problems and because the cars were not originally very expensive, many of them were discarded, left to rot and eventually crushed at junkyards. Locating one outside of rust-free areas (California, Arizona, etc.) is extremely difficult. It is only in the last five to ten years that the 914 has developed a small following, and come to be considered a sought-after classic.

Today the 914 is extremely popular among entry-level autocross racers because of its handling characteristics and its comparatively low initial cost. With relatively moderate engine performance upgrades, the car still competes very well with high-performance modern sports cars and import sport sedans despite its 30-year-old technology.

And occasionally you’ll find someone that appreciates the car for the way it was originally built.
ninefourteener
Man...... I can't believe you actually edited my little paper!!! THANK YOU!!

I used your format, and I incorporated most of the suggestions that were given throughout this forum.

Thanks to everyone.... next trip to St. Louis...... Beers are on me!

beerchug.gif
J P Stein
Entry level AXers?.....HAH!

(had to do some minor editing here)

Lotso 914 here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1m 3,5L 94 CURTIS EAMES 2001 BOXSTER 55.880
2 9,9L 265 DENNIS CORNFORTH 1965 COBRA 57.057
3m LADY 194 PAM EAMES 2001 BOXSTER 57.159
4m 3,5L 14 CHUCK WEST 1974 914-6 57.176
5m 9,9L 47 KEVIN NEARY 2002 996 TURBO 58.396
6m 3,5L 4 PAUL STEIN 1974 914-6 58.4sumthin

6m 3,5L 54 DOUG BARRETT 2001 BOXSTER S 58.589
7 2,5L 95 BRIAN CLEMONS 1993 MIATA 58.629
8m 3,5L 2 JOEL SIEGERSMA 1966 911 58.849
9 3,5L 78 DONALD THOMPSON 1996 BMW M3 59.042

11 9,9L 13 ED LAPLANTE 1995 CAMARO 59.680
12 LADY 113 DONNA LAPLANTE 1995 CAMARO 59.777
13 3,5L 70 JAMES PAULSON 2004 WRX STI 60.526
14m 9,9L 165 RICK MOORE 1965 COBRA 61.022
15m 2,5L 76 CHRIS REALE 1973 914 61.139
16 3,5L 72 BRIAN DOYLE 1997 ECLIPSE 61.300
17m 4,5L 23 STEVE GERMANY 2002 996 CAB 61.421
18 2,5L 69 ALEX KNIESS 2001 INTEGRA R 61.775
19m LADY 40 NICOLE HALL 1983 911 61.917
20m 2,5L 41 GUS HALL 1972 914 61.986
21m 4,5L 28 TIM LARSEN 1997 C2S 62.130
22m 3,5L 1 DAVE NANCE 1985 911 CAB 62.227
23 3,5L 74 JOE STEIN 914-6 62.789
24m LADY 42 DANIELLE HALL 1972 914 62.822
25 9,9L 81 JOHN JOAST 2002 CORVETTEZ06 62.901
26 2,5L 75 DAVID GAAB 1989 BMW 325 62.941
27m 3,5L 66 CARY KUTTER 911 RS REPLICA 62.989
28m 3,5L 68 TONY CALVERT 1988 911 63.688
29 2,5L 728 BOB KIVISTO 1980 RX7 63.690
30m 4,5L 49 SEAN NEARY 2001 C4 63.710
31m 3,5L 61 ERIC FREEDLE 1986 911 63.765
32 LADY 87 JUDY THOMPSON 1996 M3 64.078
33m 2,5L 20 BILL MAITLAND 1973 914 64.278
34m 4,5L 48 TIM NEARY 2001 C4 64.419
35m 3,5L 8 BOB SCHATZ 1977 911S 64.464
36m 3,5L 43 CHUCK JARVIE 1994 968 64.802
37m 3,5L 60 BOB GRASSO 2000 BOXSTER 65.621
38m 3,5L 63 BART LOCANTHI 944 TURBO 66.011
39m 3,5L 62 RON PIHULAK 1986 911 66.235
40m 3,5L 50 NATHAN GRIMES 1988 911 66.415
41 3,5L 80 LARRY KNIESS 2001 BMW M3 66.815
42m 2,5L 17 HARRY DANBERG 1973 911 TARGA 67.991
43m LADY 39 SHARON HALL 1983 911 68.292
44m 2,5L 79 LARRY BRUTON 2002 MINI S 68.523
45m 2,5L 56 BRUCE ALLERT 1973 914 68.594
46m 3,5L 67 RAY GAUTHIER 968 69.248
47m 2,5L 34 JIM CHAMBERS 1974 914 69.691
48 2,5L 65 TONY KOACH BMW 2002 69.947
49m 3,5L 36 JIM AYERS 1977 911S 71.868
50m LADY 64 JENNY LOCANTHI 944 TURBO 72.452
51 3,5L 77 WON LEE 2001 BMW M3 73.499
52 9,9L 73 NORM ANDERSON 1972 240Z V-8 74.402
53m 3,5L 82 JONNY SCHWATZ 1982 911 74.700

To view
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.