Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 3.2 Conversion Thread, got to git 'er done
kdfoust
post Oct 10 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

He heh heheheh.

You ARE too late. The '14 has already put all taildraggers through the 996 on the menu. Every '11 prior to '84 will be an appetizer. '84-'96 elebens will be the main course with the 996 as desert. For an aperitif the 14 has specifically requested a 356, twin cam if possible, but it's not willing to wait so a speedster or "C" will do as well.

What have you been doing?

Later,
Kevin

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mikester
post Oct 10 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 837

Keeping up with this...

Man...3.2....man... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 10 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #103

It's green! I love it!

Congratulations dude. Say "hey" to Gwen for me.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 10 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #104

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Great progress, but...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

More PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 10 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #105

Tonight I got rid of the trunk lid t-bars. They were TOTALLY in the way. I thought about just cutting them with a cut-off wheel but I was a little concerned that they'd snap and sort of spring around in there. I also thought about muscling them out, but after prying around on one of them decided that wasn't such a great idea either. It then occured to me that since they were steel a little heat could transform them to their lowest energy state. I got out my MAP torch and heated each one to red hot. It took about a minute of heating on each. Once they got to orange they started to relax. I took them on up to red and gave each of them a little pry while still red just to get plenty of play. After they were relaxed I cut them off with the cut-off wheel and threw them away. No drama, no pinched nothing.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 11 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #106

The Motronic arrived today. I spent most of the evening deciding where I'd mount the ECU and where I'd send the control wiring through the firewall. After holding the ECU all over the interior of the car from under the dash to the speaker enclosures to the rear firewall I finally decided to place it under the passenger seat up against the cross longitudinal rail. I'll have the raise the passenger seat 1/2" but that should be fine. One of the things that I need to account for in the location of the ECU is that fact that I'm having a roll cage installed. It will be a configuration like this: 914 roll cage on the passenger side. In the digipic you can also see the engine mount reinforcing plate which also want to avoid. Here's a digipic of the location where I'll be drilling through the firewall to get the wiring to the engine compartment.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 12 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #107

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

Good progress Kevin, So does it run yet? When do we get to see the finished product? You need to start coming with us on some runs or join us for dinner sometime. Why dont you join us up at Hooters this month? It would be great to see you again. Last time I saw you was when we had lunch in Costa Mesa that time.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Oct 12 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #108

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

3.6 w/EFI. Very nice. Do you know the weight compared to the stock engine? HP of new engine? Inquiring minds want to know. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I keep remembering that 3.0 I had in my MBZ and that was a real 145MPH car. Your 914 has got to really move.

+Quote Post
John
post Oct 12 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #109

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Kevin,

Did you remove the Aux heater blower and related plumbing?

If so, do you need one of these?

I'm making up a few now so if you (or anyone else) wants one, let me know. I'm thinking $40.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 12 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

I'm in. I need on of those.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 12 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #111

HOOTERS!? I'll track down that thread and see if I can make it!

For a completion target I'm aiming at driving it the first weekend of November.

The engine is a stock '85 Carrera U.S. engine. Porsche claims like 207 HP, 197 ft-lbs of torque. I'm not sure about what the respective weights of the TIV or the 3.2 engines. It's not V8 horsepower but it'll be fun!

Hey John. I put the blower snorkel back on the engine with the plan of just closing it off with a cover plate where the blower would attach. Your close off plate would help clean up the engine compartment. Why don't you put me down for one?

Tonight was a short evening for wrenching as I got tangled up at work and didn't even get home till 6:30 (norm for me is around 4-4:30). I almost vegitated and watched TIVO all evening but got 14 out anyway. If I'm gonna git 'er done then I gotta stay on it. I poked the motronic harness through the rear firewall tonight. I decided there was no good reason to bring the cabling in low like I had previously indicated. So I moved it high. But, I flaked and put the first hole darn near under where the roll cage cross brace will be. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) I decided to move it higher and punched another hole for that. So now Robert the "blacksmithe" of the crew gets to weld on my car. He's been wanting to replace my battery tray anyway. I guess I'll get him to do the battery tray and have him weld in a plug at the same time. Having a welder living next-door in pretty handy. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)

While I haven't called every supplier in "the book" it seems that the repro -6 (aluminum) oil tanks are out of stock everywhere. One supplier told me that the tooling had been purchased from Velios by another person who's not had any interest in making another run of the tanks. This means that I've struck a dry well. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) I am NOT signing up for another bloody wait list either!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) In the spirit of git 'er done I've decided to go with a front trunk tank. Since the car will be an AXer for the next year whilest I sort things out I hadn't planned to install an oil cooler right away. Now since I'll already be running some plumbing to the front trunk anyway I may go ahead and add the cooler "while I'm at it." Either way cooler or no here's the oil tank or something like it front mount oil tank.

I'm looking at the picture of my car and wondering what the heck that wet spot under the car is from. That'll give me something to do... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 13 2005, 07:21 AM
Post #112

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 12 2005, 06:41 PM)
Kevin,

I'm making up a few now so if you (or anyone else) wants one, let me know.  I'm thinking $40.

Johnman

Put me down for one also.
Thanks!!

Kevin,

Did you try Otto's for the tank?
He used to have a stash of factory ones.
Did you also try our favorite supplier Auto Atlanta? LOL.
Just curious.

Regarding the oil cooler if you want to go with the GT shroud Getty sells the two piece kit.
You can also get the complete kit with cooler from PMS.
I already had the two piece shroud from Getty so I just bought the cooler from Jim.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Oct 13 2005, 07:45 AM
Post #113

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Hey Kevin: Like this of Joe O'Brians?
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
P.S. I have a stock one that I can loan you till you get one if you need it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 13 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #114

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Kevin,
Contact Bill Jay (aka 1973914), he has a front mount oil-tank for sale in the classified section. You could even polish it up to make it look cool like Joe's. The price is right, he has AN fittings and stuff too.
+Quote Post
mikester
post Oct 13 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 837

The wet spot is "anticipation" dude.

You're car's wet for that 3.2.

I feel dirty.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 13 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #116

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 12 2005, 08:41 PM)
Kevin,

I'm making up a few now so if you (or anyone else) wants one, let me know.  I'm thinking $40.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1129171289.jpg)

What, exactly, is that? I'm trying to figure out if I need one too!

+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 13 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #117

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

It fits behind the distributor and replaces the plastic heater duct off of the fan.
It makes the installation allot cleaner by removing all the heater hoses and heater motor if you don't have heat exchangers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Oct 13 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #118

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

I am definetly up for that sheet metal..

If yer gunna do it.. I'm in...

Now how do I get Slits to pay for it.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

I will follow this thread and see if it goes anywhere..

By the way... Very nice work..!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

twystd1
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 13 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #119

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Kevin,

I really did not mean to hijack your thread.

Anyone wanting the sheet metal, please PM me for arrangements.
I will be posting a new thread advertising these block off plates.

John
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 13 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #120

Hey Joesharp. That is an incredibly generous offer on the oil tank! Thank you. But I do hate to do and re-do so I'm gonna just get the front tank like O'Brians.

With the repro (Velios) tank on NLA status I can only imagine what OE-6 tanks will bring. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sheeplove.gif) Last time I looked they were like $900. That just doesn't matter enough to me (at least not $900 worth anyway). I was leaning towards the front trunk tank anyway and this just NLA on Velios tanks just resolves it for me. Tomorrow I'll order oil stuff from PMS and the cooler shroud from Getty. I like that Getty cooler setup because it makes a real clean install.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif) Tonight I started hooking up the wiring in the engine compartment. I hate to hex the project but so far the wiring seems pretty rudamentary. With the Bentley manual's electrical schematics things are pretty straight forward to sort out. I've got to get a bunch of adel clamps and wiring loom on the way home tomorrow. I want to finish all the electrical connections integrating the 3.2 into the 14 this weekend and start putting the interior back together.

Later,
Kevin

Pretty colors.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 08:06 PM