Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replacing temp sensor II, Question
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 6 2003, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

After reading about replacing the head temp sensor many times, I am finally about to do it. I have the deep 13mm socket. Plan to try the "pig tail" wire method first rather than the "grind the extension" method.
My question: Is it necessary to remove the #3 intake runner? It looks pretty tight in there. Can I get a socket and ratchet in there without removing the intake, or is it best to remove it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Aug 6 2003, 06:42 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Jim

I bought a deep socket from Home Depot and cut away most of one side. I used a little soft wax to hold the sensor in the socket. I didn't remove anything but it was tight. Also, I found removing the old one was a real pain. It felt like it loosened but never really freed up. Guess what I saw when I got it out, aluminum in the threads. The new one's in but I suspect it's staying there because its crossthreaded. I really don't know what I could have done differently except drop the engine and spray the heck out of it with penetrant and maybe heat it.

Dave
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 6 2003, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I should have mentioned that my engine is a '71 1.7.
Not sure if there is more clearance on a 2.0. It sure looks like the intake pipe will interfere with a socket and extension. I haven't tried yet because I don't want to cut the old wire on the sensor (to make it easier to get the socket on) until I'm sure of what I'm going to do next.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 05:33 AM