Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing temp sensor II, Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
After reading about replacing the head temp sensor many times, I am finally about to do it. I have the deep 13mm socket. Plan to try the "pig tail" wire method first rather than the "grind the extension" method.
My question: Is it necessary to remove the #3 intake runner? It looks pretty tight in there. Can I get a socket and ratchet in there without removing the intake, or is it best to remove it?
DNHunt
Jim

I bought a deep socket from Home Depot and cut away most of one side. I used a little soft wax to hold the sensor in the socket. I didn't remove anything but it was tight. Also, I found removing the old one was a real pain. It felt like it loosened but never really freed up. Guess what I saw when I got it out, aluminum in the threads. The new one's in but I suspect it's staying there because its crossthreaded. I really don't know what I could have done differently except drop the engine and spray the heck out of it with penetrant and maybe heat it.

Dave
Porsche Rescue
I should have mentioned that my engine is a '71 1.7.
Not sure if there is more clearance on a 2.0. It sure looks like the intake pipe will interfere with a socket and extension. I haven't tried yet because I don't want to cut the old wire on the sensor (to make it easier to get the socket on) until I'm sure of what I'm going to do next.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.