Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First 914 Project, Seeking words of wisdom
watsonrx13
post Sep 29 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Sep 29 2005, 01:01 PM)
yup.... I have some words of advice, if you take things apart....put the parts in ziplocks with a peice of paper in in the bag and a discription so that when you come back a week or more later it is all labled! and i mean every part.....

Very sage advise. I'm finishing up a restoration/project I started almost 3 years ago. Not only did I ziplock the parts, with a label on the outside describing the parts and the date I removed it, I also set up my own web site to photodocument the process.

If you do remove something and then have difficulty reinstalling it, just post a message and many members will be glad to assist you. Obviously you can also use my site for reference. I haven't done everything, YET

Good luck and welcome to the 'madness'.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Sep 29 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #22

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Sep 29 2005, 08:52 AM)
I'm new to the 914 world myself, although I've worked on other cars before.  My take on getting started is to work on the safety-critical stuff first : brakes, suspension, steering.  

A good fuel line inspection is high on the list also...

John
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4,783

Thanks for the advise guys, especially the Ziploc bag thing. I would never have thought of that one. I’ll get some pics of the suspension and the wiring behind the dash as soon as I can. I didn’t realize that the entire dash had to come out before you could get at the wiring; it’s a pain but probably makes it easier in the long run. Even though I have put almost 500 miles on it in just a week, I’m parking it until I get the suspension question answered. Thanks for the warning Andy.
I have contacted Tom from SMOG and we have been playing phone tag for a couple of days.
Until I can get some mechanical pics of the car, here are some beauty shots. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post Sep 29 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #24

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

[QUOTE]I guess my big question is, can a novice mechanic safely strip down this car and replace/repair all of the things that need to be done to bring it up to snuff?? I have the time, the shop manuals, DerWhite Productions Exploded-View Part Diagram Manual and soon an empty wallet. [QUOTE]

I think so. I'll let you know for sure in a few weeks -lol. Pretty much a novice mechanic here also. I started a complete rebuild about 2 years ago and should finish soon.

I did learn and adapt alot along the way. i quickly learned that I had to get the pro's to get some jobs completed within a reasonable amount of time and to achieve the quality that I wanted, i.e. paint, rebuilt engine.

A few of the things that I learned: Shop manuals are great reference, as are exploded view diagrams; as others have mentioned -label eveything, take pics and take notes to put in the bags too; a parts car (or cars) serves as a fantastic reference; PB Blaster is way better than any of the other "liquid wrench" type products; powder coating is great!; this club is fantastic help!!!, there are some fantastic products in the resources section!

I have had a fantastic time rebuilding my car! Restoring/rebuilding an old car is a fantastic hobby and great learning experience. As for the wallet ... just don't even add up the total costs. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #25

Head on.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #26

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #27

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #28

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #29

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #30

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creptice
post Sep 29 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #31

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brp914
post Sep 29 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #32

Unregistered

Adriatic blue... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

A beauty - looks like mine, but too nice to "learn on" if you are a novice. According to the latest Excellence issue, the value of 914's has picked up. Try to find some experts out there to help you assess whether your $ + time +skills + tools + space are commensurate to the job. It would be a shame for it to be taken apart and lost. Guaranteed it will cost much more than its market value to fix, but market value doesn't matter if you enjoy it and are comfortable in the $ department and enjoy the end result. good luck
+Quote Post
turtleman
post Sep 30 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 4,183

These cars are the best deal out there.

All the long term members here have delusions as to the value of these cars. They are too use to seeing great deals for low prices.

You can get a 914 for a couple thousand and put 8k into it and have one great car. To ease the pain go comparison shop afterward to see what you could get for $10k.

Oh, your sweat and hours of labor. What else were you going to do with your spare time? Sit in front of a tube and get fat and stupid?

Enjoy.

PS. You have it all sewn up, the wife loves it too! No problem with the $$ disposal. To ease the pain you can give each other 914 restoration parts for a few years for holiday gifts!

Chip
+Quote Post
michelko
post Sep 30 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,404
Region Association: None

Welcome to the "Adriatic Blue" Club.

I Love that colour (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

I you need some inspiration, lokk here:

My Construction Site

Keep that beauy running, please!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge6.gif)
+Quote Post
Bertus
post Sep 30 2005, 06:07 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,021
Region Association: South East States

Welcome to the club! Nice looking car, hope the suspension issue is not serious! This web site is an awesome resource for when you start working on your car.

Good Luck with the car!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:28 PM