Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wiring Harness Removal, Serious Chopping
McMark
post Sep 29 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Here's the trash wires and the wires that will go back in. This is going into one of our members race cars. The only things left working will be fuel pump, gas tank sender, brake lights, tach, generator light, oil pressure light, and reverse lights. I took apart the stock harness so all the wires will be original, but all the extra wires will be gone. I'm heading out later today to start weighing all the stuff I've removed on a very accurate food grade scale. I'll keep ya'll posted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 29 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

We don' need no stinkin' pictures! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pinch.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 29 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You'll need the alternator wiring too.

We did this on our race car, except we bought aircraft wire from Spruce supply because it has lighter weight sheathing and saved weight on the insulation and connections too.

Its amazing how much weight there is really.

also, you can run a single wire to the brake lights. Put their ground on the chassis and get rid of some of the extra brake wiring.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 29 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Yup. Look for my rewiring thread. There's a diagram of a minimal (as in racecar) setup there, plus a charging system diagram. If you're running no alt, just don't do the charging system part.
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 29 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

grounds:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 29 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

The car is getting LINK, so I haven't done anything for the engine wiring harness. This is just the body wiring, so the alternator wiring will be included. Great idea on the brake light wiring.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 29 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #7

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Don't forget to add the momentary contact switch on the steering wheel, for the brake lights (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cire
post Nov 1 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,155

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Sep 29 2005, 12:30 PM) *

Yup. Look for my rewiring thread. There's a diagram of a minimal (as in racecar) setup there, plus a charging system diagram. If you're running no alt, just don't do the charging system part.

I cant seem to find your thread on the minimal wiring setup. I too am in need of a very simple wiring harness.

Also, with your experience, is it better to keep the old 914 wiring harness and go through it and remove all the old wires or is it better to start over?

I have my car 98% of the way done and am just looking at the dash and all the wires and am afraid to jump off the deep end. =)

Thanks.

Eric
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 1 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #9

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 1 2009, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Sep 29 2005, 12:30 PM) *

I cant seem to find your thread on the minimal wiring setup. I too am in need of a very simple wiring harness.

Also, with your experience, is it better to keep the old 914 wiring harness and go through it and remove all the old wires or is it better to start over?

I have my car 98% of the way done and am just looking at the dash and all the wires and am afraid to jump off the deep end. =)

Thanks.

Eric

Eric,
The post you have responded to was written by James Montebello (Lapuwali). He passed away two or three years back. He is memorialized with the Lapuwali Classic Threads in another section. Perhaps someone else will step up and answer your question...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:31 AM