Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Harness Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Here's the trash wires and the wires that will go back in. This is going into one of our members race cars. The only things left working will be fuel pump, gas tank sender, brake lights, tach, generator light, oil pressure light, and reverse lights. I took apart the stock harness so all the wires will be original, but all the extra wires will be gone. I'm heading out later today to start weighing all the stuff I've removed on a very accurate food grade scale. I'll keep ya'll posted.
McMark
We don' need no stinkin' pictures! pinch.gif
brant
You'll need the alternator wiring too.

We did this on our race car, except we bought aircraft wire from Spruce supply because it has lighter weight sheathing and saved weight on the insulation and connections too.

Its amazing how much weight there is really.

also, you can run a single wire to the brake lights. Put their ground on the chassis and get rid of some of the extra brake wiring.
lapuwali
Yup. Look for my rewiring thread. There's a diagram of a minimal (as in racecar) setup there, plus a charging system diagram. If you're running no alt, just don't do the charging system part.
brant
grounds:
McMark
The car is getting LINK, so I haven't done anything for the engine wiring harness. This is just the body wiring, so the alternator wiring will be included. Great idea on the brake light wiring.
IronHillRestorations
Don't forget to add the momentary contact switch on the steering wheel, for the brake lights wink.gif
Cire
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Sep 29 2005, 12:30 PM) *

Yup. Look for my rewiring thread. There's a diagram of a minimal (as in racecar) setup there, plus a charging system diagram. If you're running no alt, just don't do the charging system part.

I cant seem to find your thread on the minimal wiring setup. I too am in need of a very simple wiring harness.

Also, with your experience, is it better to keep the old 914 wiring harness and go through it and remove all the old wires or is it better to start over?

I have my car 98% of the way done and am just looking at the dash and all the wires and am afraid to jump off the deep end. =)

Thanks.

Eric
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 1 2009, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Sep 29 2005, 12:30 PM) *

I cant seem to find your thread on the minimal wiring setup. I too am in need of a very simple wiring harness.

Also, with your experience, is it better to keep the old 914 wiring harness and go through it and remove all the old wires or is it better to start over?

I have my car 98% of the way done and am just looking at the dash and all the wires and am afraid to jump off the deep end. =)

Thanks.

Eric

Eric,
The post you have responded to was written by James Montebello (Lapuwali). He passed away two or three years back. He is memorialized with the Lapuwali Classic Threads in another section. Perhaps someone else will step up and answer your question...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.