Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who listens to the music, of their engine.
Do you have a music source in your car?
Do you have a music source in your car?
No! I like to listen to the engine all the time. [ 20 ] ** [28.99%]
No! I can't afford one. [ 2 ] ** [2.90%]
Yes! I need it. [ 4 ] ** [5.80%]
Yes. But I don't use it. [ 12 ] ** [17.39%]
Yes. But it's for emergencies only. [ 4 ] ** [5.80%]
Yes. For long trips. [ 8 ] ** [11.59%]
Yes. But it's the stock radio for authenticity. [ 1 ] ** [1.45%]
Yes. [ 10 ] ** [14.49%]
No. [ 5 ] ** [7.25%]
Don't know. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Use a portable player with headphones. [ 3 ] ** [4.35%]
Total Votes: 69
Guests cannot vote 
redshift
post Sep 30 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #21

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

QUOTE (double-a @ Sep 30 2005, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 30 2005, 09:22 AM)
... and I hate music.

M

speaking of music... miles is that klaus nomi in your avatar?

~a

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=37&t=38983

German Barry Goldwater

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SGB
post Sep 30 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #22

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Pelican has similar material, already cut and bound at edges, I think, but I got stuff from JC Whitney (I bet 911 owners would never admit to JC whitney parts!), a foil backed foam sheet with some kind of bitumen type stuff just under the foil. It iis almost twice as thick as the pad I took out of the engine compartment, but prolly 30% of the weight. I think it was in the RV section of their catalog. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
Oh, I replaced the engine compartment pad, and also cut a piece to fit under the engine lid between the rear window and the drip tray- that one cut carb noise noticably.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 30 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

If I don't have a stereo in my car, I end up with one line of a song stuck in my head for 45 minutes. I won't even realize until I've gone through it for the millionth time and I drive myself crazy. I need my stereo.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 30 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

The faceplate on my stereo was also stolen - before I got the car. I removed the entire stereo system and am working on a new dash face which covers the holes. This summer, my rear window was out and engine lid was off.... couldn't hear anything over the engine. Sometimes I use a portable radio/MP3 player with Sony Fontopia headphones (not to be a commercial, but those are the best sounding, best noise blocking headphones I've found) but I don't like blocking out the engine noise too long at a time because I want to hear the health of it... or know immediately if something starts to go wrong.

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 30 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #25

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

There's no way I could hear a stereo in my 914, even if I actually wanted to. Well, isolating or active cancellation earbuds/headphones might work, but that is illegal as well as unsafe.
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Oct 1 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #26

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I love blasting my music. People look at me real funny when they hear classic '70's rock comin from an old car with a 20 year old drivin! But i dont have it too loud, I am paranoid about engine noises.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Oct 1 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #27

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I actually have a radio, but I ran out of starter wire, so I used the wires that go in, and out of it to tie onto the starter.

You have to turn on the radio, and switch to SW to get ignition, and then you have to tune to 1450.54m to get the starter spinning... it's like.. analog security.

(like anyone wouldfucking steal a 914!)

Ooops... sorry.. Kevin.

M
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Oct 1 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #28

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

Hummmm...interesting topic...

Well, in my current 914 there is just a hole where a stereo used to be. Speaker pods are present. Most likely I'll put in a satellight music system because...

In my Jetta (daily driver) I have an Alpine unit (which I found I really, honestly like more than my previous tactile Sony units (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif) ). 40watts, four quality speakers, no cheap-o stuff but not over-the-top, either. Works damn well. But there will be many times I'll look at my face plate and decide to leave it on the table top in the hall so I can just listen to my environment and car. I think of all the frickin' commercials that all the radio stations seem to play AT THE SAME TIME (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) and I think, "Screw it!". Even if my radio is ready for listening I'll still just keep it off, because the sounds around me are better than all the repetitive commercials I'm going to be bombarded with (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

Which is why, if I get a system for my 914, it will be satellight. I've rented a couple cars with it and even installed it in a friend's new Nissan. Nice. Dance. Classic Rock. Techno. Pop. Gud stuff, Maynard!

Heck, I love riding my motorcycle and there's no music system on her and the ride is just as pleasant (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Guess it all depends on my mood.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Oct 1 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #29

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 30 2005, 02:55 PM)
but I don't like blocking out the engine noise too long at a time because I want to hear the health of it... or know immediately if something starts to go wrong.
My engine isn't completely broken in yet so i'm always listening for any little flaw or change. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

I find i'm just emamoured with the sound of my 914. At idle. Around town. At speed. It's what i've always wanted (sound) in a hot street car. And it's way more quiet than a lot of hot rods here in town. No flex-i-lite fan sound at higher RPM's too.

Got the stereo, but never use it. And it's cheap enough that no one will steal it. LOL =-)
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Oct 1 2005, 06:35 AM
Post #30

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

You forgot one option for the poll.

"NO, it weighs too much."

BTW. The many of the original VW Rabbits back in the 70's used to ship from the factory w/o radio. The radio was installed at the dealerships. In place of the radio was a nice little black plastic bin that clipped in. Since my dad did many many Rabbit radio installs I managed to swipe a bin from him. It clips into the 914 radio hole with minimal modification and makes a nice place to keep your sunglasses. Unfortunately I don't have a good pict of just the bin and I don't have any extra bins hanging around. My dad uses them to store nuts and bolts at his place.

Kelly
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:17 PM