Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Come on, someone must know the answer!
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 7 2003, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Can the head temp sensor on a 1.7 be replaced without removing the intake runners? It looks like the hole in the tin is almost directly behind #3. Haynes says "just do it". Doesn't look that simple.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 7 2003, 09:58 AM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Last time I did it....I sacrificed a socket by cutting a slot in it for the wire.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 7 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #3

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

I think the reason nobody answered yesterday is you didn't say whether 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0. Now that I know it's a 1.7 I'll say, yes you can remove it without pulling the intake. Might need an angle-drive though.
-Ben M.

ps - oops. didn't see your followup post to your original thread stating it's a 1.7. my bad. Anyway, If I remember correctly there is even less clearance on a 2.0
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Aug 7 2003, 10:43 AM
Post #4

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

Sometimes the answer is "Just Do It", then you will know the answer and you will be the Temp Sensor 2 guru! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Use 1/4" drive stuff, grind something, socket or extension to clear the wire. Hold the wire or use something to keep the sensor from falling into the sheetmetal. And if you're lucky, you will not need to pull the manifold and sheetmetal so you can Helicoil the stripped hole! Good luck and report back soon.

P.S. I did mine when the engine was on an engine stand without sheetmetal. Unfortunately, I was sold a -017 sensor when I needed a -012 sensor, so I am intrested in the answer as I'll be in there doing it the hard way sometime soon!

Regards,

John Jentz
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Aug 7 2003, 11:06 AM
Post #5

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Jim, I can do it fer ya. Did one on mine already. Made one of them cut away sockets for just that application. It's quite easy once you know the angle of the dangle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 7 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

grind a corner off an extension, put the wire through the socket, and then insert the extension in the socket. That will also hold the wire for you
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 7 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Thanks all for the help. Got it done. The tip about the sensor being angled to the rear gave me what I needed. Was able to cut the wire on old sensor, use a 3/8 drive socket and extension to remove with ease. Did the "pig tail" trick to coil the new wire and tuck it into the deep socket. Wire kept the sensor from being pushed back into the socket. A little super glue held the washer. Some lithium grease on the threads and I was able to start it and get it snug by hand. A little extra with the ratchet and the job was complete. Now for a test drive to see if it made any difference. If not, on to the throttle switch. If that doesn't do it, off to Bruce's house to do a test transplant of his MPS.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 04:48 AM