Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Come on, someone must know the answer!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Can the head temp sensor on a 1.7 be replaced without removing the intake runners? It looks like the hole in the tin is almost directly behind #3. Haynes says "just do it". Doesn't look that simple.
Joe Bob
Last time I did it....I sacrificed a socket by cutting a slot in it for the wire.
airsix
I think the reason nobody answered yesterday is you didn't say whether 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0. Now that I know it's a 1.7 I'll say, yes you can remove it without pulling the intake. Might need an angle-drive though.
-Ben M.

ps - oops. didn't see your followup post to your original thread stating it's a 1.7. my bad. Anyway, If I remember correctly there is even less clearance on a 2.0
JFJ914
Sometimes the answer is "Just Do It", then you will know the answer and you will be the Temp Sensor 2 guru! smile.gif Use 1/4" drive stuff, grind something, socket or extension to clear the wire. Hold the wire or use something to keep the sensor from falling into the sheetmetal. And if you're lucky, you will not need to pull the manifold and sheetmetal so you can Helicoil the stripped hole! Good luck and report back soon.

P.S. I did mine when the engine was on an engine stand without sheetmetal. Unfortunately, I was sold a -017 sensor when I needed a -012 sensor, so I am intrested in the answer as I'll be in there doing it the hard way sometime soon!

Regards,

John Jentz
Bruce Allert
Hey Jim, I can do it fer ya. Did one on mine already. Made one of them cut away sockets for just that application. It's quite easy once you know the angle of the dangle! rolleyes.gif
bruce
TheCabinetmaker
grind a corner off an extension, put the wire through the socket, and then insert the extension in the socket. That will also hold the wire for you
Porsche Rescue
Thanks all for the help. Got it done. The tip about the sensor being angled to the rear gave me what I needed. Was able to cut the wire on old sensor, use a 3/8 drive socket and extension to remove with ease. Did the "pig tail" trick to coil the new wire and tuck it into the deep socket. Wire kept the sensor from being pushed back into the socket. A little super glue held the washer. Some lithium grease on the threads and I was able to start it and get it snug by hand. A little extra with the ratchet and the job was complete. Now for a test drive to see if it made any difference. If not, on to the throttle switch. If that doesn't do it, off to Bruce's house to do a test transplant of his MPS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.