Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> popping on Decel, Possible causes?
Jaiden
post Oct 7 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,443

For some reason I'm really on the war path to get the teener tweeked to it's best and through trying to fix a loud exhaust have come up with some questions.

When I decel I get a lot! of poping out the exhaust.
I have dell's on now and an old thunderbird glass pack exhaust (I think this causes some of the issue) that I'm swapping mufflers on.

I have adjusted the valves when I got the car which seamed to reduce the poping but only barely.
I have not adjusted the carbs and have checked 2 spark plugs and they look a little on the rich side but since I'm running a little hot on the highway I don't want to lean it out just yet?

What other thing can contribute? Tuning? points? Timing? Fuel grade? Exhaust leaks?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 7 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Exhaust leaks would be the first place I'd look.

Check for broken bolts and flanges with black soot that is a sign of a leak where the heater boxes and the muffler meet. And replace the gaskets and use new bolts. Check out the muffler for cracks, holes etc.

Than look at the heads to h/b connection.
+Quote Post
Jaiden
post Oct 7 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the help!
When I removed my muffler set up I definitly saw some black soot on the gaskets that look like it might be blowing through. how big of a leak does it take to cause it because I definitly thought it was leaking a little hence the exhaust work.

I have not checked the connection at the head. Should I just go ahead and swap out the gaskets at the head? or is there any spots prone to leaks there?

+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 7 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #4

****************************************************************************************************

The head/h-box connection is a PITA to work on so replace the gaskets at the h-box to muffler connection first to see if that corrects that problem.

There no true "gaskets" at the heads. It is a copper sealing ring that the h-box gets tightened into. But if you have a broken stud or missing nut the h-box won't be tight up to the sealing ring.

+Quote Post
Jaiden
post Oct 7 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #5

last time I checked all the nuts were there snugged up but I have the Stainless after market exchanges so since the original have been swapped I'll at least check it out!

Thanks again!

Once I get my new muffler on I'll let you know if it worked out!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 7 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #6

Well it gives you something to do this weekend.
Also check the hoses from the boxes to the body so thier good and tight.

Winter's coming... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

(for you anyway (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) )

Paul
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 07:41 AM