Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: popping on Decel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
For some reason I'm really on the war path to get the teener tweeked to it's best and through trying to fix a loud exhaust have come up with some questions.

When I decel I get a lot! of poping out the exhaust.
I have dell's on now and an old thunderbird glass pack exhaust (I think this causes some of the issue) that I'm swapping mufflers on.

I have adjusted the valves when I got the car which seamed to reduce the poping but only barely.
I have not adjusted the carbs and have checked 2 spark plugs and they look a little on the rich side but since I'm running a little hot on the highway I don't want to lean it out just yet?

What other thing can contribute? Tuning? points? Timing? Fuel grade? Exhaust leaks?
URY914
Exhaust leaks would be the first place I'd look.

Check for broken bolts and flanges with black soot that is a sign of a leak where the heater boxes and the muffler meet. And replace the gaskets and use new bolts. Check out the muffler for cracks, holes etc.

Than look at the heads to h/b connection.
Jaiden
Thanks for the help!
When I removed my muffler set up I definitly saw some black soot on the gaskets that look like it might be blowing through. how big of a leak does it take to cause it because I definitly thought it was leaking a little hence the exhaust work.

I have not checked the connection at the head. Should I just go ahead and swap out the gaskets at the head? or is there any spots prone to leaks there?

URY914
The head/h-box connection is a PITA to work on so replace the gaskets at the h-box to muffler connection first to see if that corrects that problem.

There no true "gaskets" at the heads. It is a copper sealing ring that the h-box gets tightened into. But if you have a broken stud or missing nut the h-box won't be tight up to the sealing ring.

Jaiden
last time I checked all the nuts were there snugged up but I have the Stainless after market exchanges so since the original have been swapped I'll at least check it out!

Thanks again!

Once I get my new muffler on I'll let you know if it worked out!
URY914
Well it gives you something to do this weekend.
Also check the hoses from the boxes to the body so thier good and tight.

Winter's coming... biggrin.gif

(for you anyway laugh.gif )

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.