Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are 914s Capable of, performance wise
yahthatsright
post Oct 25 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,246

As a 21 year old college student most of my peers have a hard time understanding why I think my 85 hp 30 yr old car is so fun. Usually I get the question, “Okay, It seems like you can make a lot of upgrades to this car, If you did that how fast would it be” I usually answer with a stutter, uh uh I dunno. So, with a 200 hp six and moderately stiff suspension, what kind of numbers do you guys have? It would be very interesting to see some braking stats, 0-60, some form of slalom, anything. I’m also wondering if the guys out there with 300 to 400hp or getting that much more for performance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 25 2005, 07:15 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (yahthatsright @ Oct 25 2005, 09:10 AM)
...with a 200 hp six and moderately stiff suspension, what kind of numbers do you guys have?

It would be very interesting to see some braking stats, 0-60, some form of slalom, anything.

I’m also wondering if the guys out there with 300 to 400hp or getting that much more for performance.

with a 200HP 6 and stiff suspension on racing tires, you can win your class at Le Mans; Porsche did just that 35 years ago.

with 300HP, you can take TTOD at a Parade (PCA National Convention) where your competition is every Porsche ever made.
+Quote Post
nynone4
post Oct 25 2005, 07:19 AM
Post #3

Hammer to fit. Paint to match.

Member No.: 713

Hmmmm... Well I don't have all the answers to that - but here's a comparison of sorts for you. Go HEREand look at the times for an autocross the local PCA had and look at the course times under "Matt Shepherd - 914-6" and compare them to the other cars listed.

The car is powered by a 2.7 RS Spec six that puts out something north of 200 hp and has many of the usual suspension upgrades.

Does that help at all? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Oct 25 2005, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

It's not difficult to make a high horsepower car go fast, just step on the pedal. I've always enjoyed thrashing 4 cyl coupes around as it's a challenge and a blast to push them to their potential. That's just me, go figure.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 25 2005, 07:45 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A 914/6 with 200+hp is blindingly fast. I know the Fordahl's won SCCA FP AX for a couple of years in a row with theirs.
I have driven one tricked out 914/6 witha hot 3.2L and its very fast. If you let a passenger ride with you they would pee on themselves.
+Quote Post
rcarpen22
post Oct 25 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,805
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just bought a '71 with a stock 3.2 (with factory Bosch fuel injection, 217hp) and it is about as much fun as any car I've ever driven. It's faster than my 5.0 Mustang in a straight line but not as fast as my 944 turbo (about 320 hp). If I could only keep one car though, it would be the 914.
+Quote Post
yahthatsright
post Oct 25 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #7

All the guys that I work with drive 5.0 mustangs. That would be to much fun to beat them in a drag race, I think they can hift alittle bit faster than me though lol
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post Oct 25 2005, 08:25 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (nynone4 @ Oct 25 2005, 05:19 AM)
Hmmmm... Well I don't have all the answers to that - but here's a comparison of sorts for you. Go HEREand look at the times for an autocross the local PCA had and look at the course times under "Matt Shepherd - 914-6" and compare them to the other cars listed.

The car is powered by a 2.7 RS Spec six that puts out something north of 200 hp and has many of the usual suspension upgrades.

Does that help at all? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Matt,
The big difference in times was that the rest of us are really bad drivers! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) Just kidding, Matt is one hell of a driver. Many of the other there were very good drivers.

Matt is right. When can you take a 30+ yr old car and with a bit of $$ have one of the best performers around?

M
+Quote Post
yahthatsright
post Oct 25 2005, 08:35 AM
Post #9

Its tough convincing the "ricer" crowd that the 914 is somehow speacial. I guess I quit trying and go drive my car!
+Quote Post
nynone4
post Oct 25 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #10

Hammer to fit. Paint to match.

Member No.: 713

QUOTE (mikelsr @ Oct 25 2005, 06:25 AM)
Matt,
The big difference in times was that the rest of us are really bad drivers!  :driving:

Dang Mike !!! Why you gotta go and blow my cover like that??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

yahthatsright - Just take your "ricer" friends for a ride in your car at an autocross. You'll make believers out of them (or scare them into never wanting to ride with you again).
+Quote Post
airsix
post Oct 25 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #11

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (yahthatsright @ Oct 25 2005, 06:18 AM)
All the guys that I work with drive 5.0 mustangs. That would be to much fun to beat them in a drag race, I think they can hift alittle bit faster than me though lol

A 914 just isn't a good drag car and never will be. However, it's a great handling car, and excells at other forms of motorsport where turning is involved. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) If you want to beat Mustangs just go to an autocross with those guys. I've watched a 1.7L 914 litterally SPANK a supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra at autocross. Repeatedly. Without mercy.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Oct 25 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Average 0 - 60?

6 years, 2 months, 14 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 11 seconds.

Not to mention the $.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Oct 25 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #13

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A V8 might be outside what you would consider, but if not: with my 400ish hp SBC, I have made more kids in 5.0 Mustangs cry that I can count anymore. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

There is a guy out in my neck of the country who drives a butt ugly yellow Rousch Mustang. I think when he sees me coming up on him in his review mirror now, he takes the first turn he comes to. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Oct 25 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #14

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

QUOTE (yahthatsright @ Oct 25 2005, 06:35 AM)
Its tough convincing the "ricer" crowd that the 914 is somehow speacial. I guess I quit trying and go drive my car!

I can't answer your question. I can say this, I have an 89 944S2 that makes like 210HP and almost 50/50 weight distribution. My last 914 was a 1.7 that maybe made 75HP. The 914 was more fun to drive. I don't know why it just was.

I guess its like the old harley thing, If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. Even though harleys are now a total image thing, but thats another thread. You don't own the car for them, you own it for yourself. 914 ownership is not about other people, its about you and the car. In that respect, it is a more mature form of car hobby. Enough people in the world own there cars for other people.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Oct 25 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #15

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (balljoint @ Oct 25 2005, 09:09 AM)
Average 0 - 60?

Not to mention the $.

When a brand newly converted stock 283 SBC, with newbie driver, can turn a solid mid 12 run in the quarter, You've got to respect that.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Oct 25 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #16

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Oct 25 2005, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (balljoint @ Oct 25 2005, 09:09 AM)
Average 0 - 60?

Not to mention the $.

When a brand newly converted stock 283 SBC, with newbie driver, can turn a solid mid 12 run in the quarter, You've got to respect that.

No doubt.

I was including restoration time. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Oct 25 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #17

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

As a 21 year old college student most of my peers have a hard time understanding why I think my 85 hp 30 yr old car is so fun.

Maybe you should find some new friends? :-) You shouldn't have to justify your car to your friends.

Take a few on a ride down a curvy country road. Maybe let some of the more responsible ones actually drive it. That will change their minds.

+Quote Post
yahthatsright
post Oct 25 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #18

Definetly need to take the boys for a ride, off camber counrty road, thats how my dad got me hooked
+Quote Post
MattR
post Oct 25 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

As a 20 year old college student, whenever I get in those pissing contests where they throw around numbers and times, I just say "my car looks cooler." You're never going to convince anyone the 914 is a better car based on numbers. It simply isnt a straight line car, which is what modern numbers are geared towards. Just smile and nod and say "yeah, my car is a piece of crap." If that circulates, theres a lesser chance of car theft (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
E. Fry
post Oct 25 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 510

914's are the best! If you look at pnwr.pca.org you can see the results auto-xing with a very competative group. My 914-6 is powered by a '74 2.7 normal that I put carbs on and in it went. The suspension has been breathed on a bit, and the 8" Fuchs w/ hoosier 225/45-15 doesn't hurt. For the last few years my biggest competition has come from an extensively improved RSA and a mildly improved 996. Now the GT-3 is coming into it's own, but he has only beat me once. I have traded 1st thru 3rd at each event and placed a solid 3rd for the season (best five of nine) for the past 4 or 5 years. I can see the GT-3 becoming a problem in the future, but I'm not done yet! I have scored top time of day more than once.
As far as for the ricers, well I must admit that I almost got beat by two brothers in their 2 Honda civic hatchbacks, I later found out that they were among the few people that have figured out how to make the ricers turn well.
As a young man owning a 914 you will find a very diverce group of enthusiasts. Old guys (like me) will come over to you at the gas station, store, or follow you home just to talk 914's. The social and technical community alone is almost worth it.
In the end, if they don't understand, take them for a ride!!!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:59 AM