Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are 914s Capable of, performance wise
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 26 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Also agree, the driver is simply too big a part of the equation in the autocross results above...

But it's fascinating nonetheless. That STi driver must be a serious shoe...even though Subie got rid of a lot of the 2004 STi's understeer with the '05 model, I am VERY impressed that anyone driving one of those four-door, AWD porkers can beat out JP's trick six for TT. I used to own one, and while it was stunning on backroads, I would never have picked it for AX work...

Wow! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

pete
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Oct 26 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #42

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Oct 26 2005, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (airsix @ Oct 25 2005, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Oct 25 2005, 02:39 PM)
Spend enough money on a Subie, Lancer, Honda, or Chevy Aveo and it will destroy even the fastest 914s on this board.

I'd like to see any of those cars take on Roger Sheridan's 914 on a road course.
-Ben M.

"Spend enough money" is the operative phrase...

With a NASA-like budget, I am quite sure one could build a beryllium-calipered, tube-framed, F1-powered Chevy Aveo 5-door that would destroy Sheridan's 914 on a race track.

It might not look much like an Aveo anymore, but then how much 914 is really left in Roger's car? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

BTW, anyone remember that crazy F1 minivan from the 1990s?

pete

Yes, indeed. A Renault Espace with a Williams-Renault driveline installed roughly where the rear seats went. Lowered, with some ground effects tunnels, and still had the center seats. They took Renault execs and other VIPs around Paul Ricard and made most of them throw up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

The spending is the important part here. I'll bet that in terms of price/performance, the 914 is the king of AX. The only thing in the same league would be a 1.6 Miata, which can now be had very cheaply, yet with the appropriate upgrades, would still do very well at AX.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 26 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

"I'll bet that in terms of price/performance, the 914 is the king of AX."

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

I would imagine the just deleted Toyota MR-2 Spyder would be another great AX ride for the money...with lots of potential.

A while back, someone said the Elise is the modern-day 914, but I have to say that the Elise is probably more like a modern-day 914-6 GT (kind of) than a 914, which, unlike the GT, was fully trimmed and equipped in the way the average buyer of the day expected a car you could and woud use every day to be.

In that sense, a (used) Boxster is still closer to a modern-day 914, but maybe the MR-2 Spyder is closer still. It's a BALL to drive with "humble" horsepower from a "plebian" engine and not much more than 2,000 pounds to push around. And it's arguably f-ugly in its stock configuration! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 26 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

BTW, anyone remember that crazy F1 minivan from the 1990s?

There used to be footage of that thing running Spa (maybe) on Renault's website.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Jan 1 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #45

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ok, college boy. What's your major. Mine's mechanical engineering. You show me three ricers that can actually modify their cars. And how many mustangs can beat you through a corner? The advantage of the 914 ISN'T numbers... It's the feeling of the tires making good contact. It's the smell of gasoline in the cockpit when you've got the top off. It's that feeling where the car and you and the road are all melted together- to the point where you can't feel anything as an individual (if you have never felt this before, then you should go on a road trip.) It's a feeling of accomlishment after you do something and can actually tell the difference. Go adjust your front end ride height and come back.

Sorry if I seem too serious. But you just tell all your friends; FOR GODSAKE! IT'S A PORSCHE!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Jan 1 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #46

Oh yeah. And forget the PCA AutoX numbers. Look up the old lemans records and those kinds of international events. 914s were finishing le mans in front of Ford GT40s for a while. Imagine how fast the 917s were to have actually been banned from racing. There's another teener. J/k- nobody owns a 917 and drives it, But still; you can take apart a porsche and can't count on all the fingers and toes you've got all the things that are still ahead of cars today.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 1 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #47

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 1 2006, 07:04 PM)
Oh yeah. And forget the PCA AutoX numbers. Look up the old lemans records and those kinds of international events.

I think not.

PCA & SCCA autocross is what many of us DO, not just talk about. To me, what has been done in the past is interesting, but not revelant to this discussion. There are also a few here that run SCCA club racing and DEs of many sanctioning bodies.

These exercises are all "whatcha done for me lately", not what someone else did 20-30 years ago in a car somewhat similar to mine.

Thanks for bringing up this old thread, tho (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jan 1 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #48

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Too many people measure acceleration in one direction. You need to measure it in all directions. That's why AX is a popular standard.

If all you want is drag racing, there are cheaper ways to go "faster."

What a 914 gives you is a balanced performance car right out of the box. You could argue that it's handling is its strongest trait and the rest of the abilites rely upon the handling. Regardless, its a more complete way of looking at performance.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 1 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #49

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

My advice for you (and for your car enthusiast buddies)....

Get a girlfriend,

1) if she likes 914s, and she can make a lot of money, keep both her and the car.
2) if she likes 914s but clearly you're the bread winner, hopefully she's cute and you can get her in next year's 914 calendar.
3) if she doesn't like 914s - dump her.

I hope this helps you get through college.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 2 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

...yahthatsright: just let your 165 x 15s get nice and slick, and 85 HP should be just right for hanging out with these guys. Just watch out for the Drift Patrol (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rpmmaxxed
post Jan 2 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 4,140
Region Association: Southern California

I honestly enjoyed reading this thread.

I get the same questions at school from people...

I always get burned on the straights, but they can never figure out how I get to the best mexi places at lunch first. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 2 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #52

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I never get burned on the straights...

I've raced one car with my car... That was a 85 or so crx piece of crap that I passed because he was going slow. As I was passing him, I realized that he was accelerating as well. but I passed him/ beat him none the less.

That was with my 4 cylander and my best friend in the car... and I wasnt floored... lol

I can now do very low 12's, and possibly 11's 1/4 mile.

No one has dared challenge me. (at least, not that I know of... they get left in the dust before they knew what hit them... lol... seriously...)
+Quote Post
LowGT
post Jan 2 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #53

1.8 and Proud!

Member No.: 4,904
Region Association: Southwest Region

I used to think like that for a while. My last project car was a 93 Probe GT, certainly not a car respected by the import crowd either. I turbocharged the 2.5L v6, lightened flywheel, port and polish intake mani (inside and out), as well as polish a bunch of other things in the engine bay as well. I dyno'd 242whp/220wtq with just 8ish psi. I ran a 13.8 @104.7 mph on street tires, barely getting traction through 1st and 2nd gear. I did every bit of work on that car myself, including the welding of IC piping and downpipes/uppipes, all while in college. But, stick that car in AX and it drove like piss. You know how difficult it is to direct a 250whp, turbocharged, fwd car? Too difficult for my liking. I still loved the car though, and hated the fact I had to sell it after I graduated. I had a hard time finding a job and needed the money. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) And then I found a great job just 1 month after selling it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

Anyway, I've always had cars to work on, so I decided to pick up a 914. I've always been infatuated with them. Even in it's current form with messed up tranny and screwed up webers, it's way more fun to drive. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Here's the ol' Probe.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Jan 2 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #54

Thats what I want to hear!! More fun to drive....

My first car was a '91 Mazda 626GT. They've got the same drivetrain. Very, very fast. I blew it up at 325000 miles. Thats not a typo (i double checked.) Not as fun as a porsche though...
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 2 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #55

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jan 1 2006, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 1 2006, 07:04 PM)
Oh yeah. And forget the PCA AutoX numbers. Look up the old lemans records and those kinds of international events.

I think not.

PCA & SCCA autocross is what many of us DO, not just talk about. To me, what has been done in the past is interesting, but not revelant to this discussion. There are also a few here that run SCCA club racing and DEs of many sanctioning bodies.

These exercises are all "whatcha done for me lately", not what someone else did 20-30 years ago in a car somewhat similar to mine.

Thanks for bringing up this old thread, tho (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I think what he is trying to say is a podunk SCCA AX in Or-ee-gon isnt a good measure of the 914's true potential. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) However I think looking at real races such as SCCA nationals have shown us what a well sorted 914 can do.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 2 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

The 914 is a great car with several modern updates. Tires, engine and some styling cues can be upgraded and you have a great little car for the average car guy. Chicks dig it and Vettes hate it in the corners.

But in stock trim it is a little dated. The T4 is a pretty sorry excuse for an engine, the stock suspension is OK but it needs a lot of work and the tranny sucks. Oh yeah it needs brakes when you upgrade the tires.

Will I have another, Yep, several, will I race one , Yep. I will just make the changes that I feel are needed to make the 914 what it designed to be a great little German sports car.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jan 2 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #57

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 2 2006, 01:37 AM)
I never get burned on the straights...

I can now do very low 12's, and possibly 11's 1/4 mile.

No one has dared challenge me. (at least, not that I know of... they get left in the dust before they knew what hit them... lol... seriously...)

thank you andy.

and what does a 5.0 mustang do the 1/4 mile in????

13.something seconds.

914's are some of the best "all around" "biggest bang for your buck" cars i know.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 2 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 2,912

My SBC 914 can do 0-60 in 4 flat, and run with the big dogs at the track. (vipers, vettes, 930s) I am also a bad driver.

Mark
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 2 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 2,912

Plus, I think it looks pretty good too.
Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jan 2 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #60

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mark,

Your 914 V/8 is beautiful. I love the sound of your SBC motor. I lust after a V/8 powdered 914. Maybe some day a new project.

Tom
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:51 PM