Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve clearance adjustment, Any tips?
914zim
post Nov 3 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Still pretty clueless...

Group: Members
Member No.: 962

Gentlemen:

Well, I'll be driving the 914 maybe 2 more days before I store it in the garage for the winter. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

I'm planning on doing a valve clearance adjustment in the next few weeks and I was wondering if you guys had some tricks or tips on doing this.
I have the Haynes manual and I've also checked out the PP tech article. I think the PP article seems pretty clear and easy to follow (especially the simplified procedure added at the end by Jim T.), but I'm a little unclear on the "Turn until rocking: Adjust:" table/section.

Are we turning until rocking #2 exhaust AND #3 intake and then adjusting #4 exhuast AND #1 intake?
Having never done this procedure, it seems confusing to me. Maybe it'll seem clearer once I'm in there.

Does anyone have any other thoughts, tips or tricks on valve clearance adjustment? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
I don't want to screw anything up and cause any damage. So far, things are going pretty well with the teener!!

Thanks for any help!!
Andy...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 3 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

There's a classic thread on this.

Also, the search function is your friend here. There are a ton of threads on valve adjustment.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Nov 3 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,061

I always take the distributor cap off and line the rotor up with the mark on the rim of the distributor, should be #1. Both valves on #1 should be loose. adjust both. Then back the engine off 90 degrees on the distributor and adjust #2. 180 deg (opposite #1 mark) is #3 and the last quadrent is #4.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Nov 3 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #4

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Hi!
The Pelican article, ESPECIALLY the follow up description of the rocking / adjusting thing is the greatest. I had adjusted my valves many times but never felt sure about it until I followed that. I finally feel confident I know where TDC is, because it happens during the right valve action as described by the article. I really think it is best to run through theprocess twice- adjust then check and readjust. Even recheck if there is much revision on the readjust step. Definitely loosen the spark plugs enough to allow pressure changes. I have the dizzy cap off so I can see where the rotor points. I've tried the "put it up on jackstands in 5th gear and turn one wheel" etc, but if the plugs are loose I can put on a leather gloove and reach around the pull the impeller to rotate the crank.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:09 PM