Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve clearance adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Gentlemen:

Well, I'll be driving the 914 maybe 2 more days before I store it in the garage for the winter. mad.gif

I'm planning on doing a valve clearance adjustment in the next few weeks and I was wondering if you guys had some tricks or tips on doing this.
I have the Haynes manual and I've also checked out the PP tech article. I think the PP article seems pretty clear and easy to follow (especially the simplified procedure added at the end by Jim T.), but I'm a little unclear on the "Turn until rocking: Adjust:" table/section.

Are we turning until rocking #2 exhaust AND #3 intake and then adjusting #4 exhuast AND #1 intake?
Having never done this procedure, it seems confusing to me. Maybe it'll seem clearer once I'm in there.

Does anyone have any other thoughts, tips or tricks on valve clearance adjustment? pray.gif
I don't want to screw anything up and cause any damage. So far, things are going pretty well with the teener!!

Thanks for any help!!
Andy...
Rand
There's a classic thread on this.

Also, the search function is your friend here. There are a ton of threads on valve adjustment.
Al Meredith
I always take the distributor cap off and line the rotor up with the mark on the rim of the distributor, should be #1. Both valves on #1 should be loose. adjust both. Then back the engine off 90 degrees on the distributor and adjust #2. 180 deg (opposite #1 mark) is #3 and the last quadrent is #4.
SGB
Hi!
The Pelican article, ESPECIALLY the follow up description of the rocking / adjusting thing is the greatest. I had adjusted my valves many times but never felt sure about it until I followed that. I finally feel confident I know where TDC is, because it happens during the right valve action as described by the article. I really think it is best to run through theprocess twice- adjust then check and readjust. Even recheck if there is much revision on the readjust step. Definitely loosen the spark plugs enough to allow pressure changes. I have the dizzy cap off so I can see where the rotor points. I've tried the "put it up on jackstands in 5th gear and turn one wheel" etc, but if the plugs are loose I can put on a leather gloove and reach around the pull the impeller to rotate the crank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.