Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> subaru conversion kit??
Loser_Cruiser
post Nov 9 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,873
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I wish it worked that way, but you would be amazed at how many people have taken a tour of our shop, taken photos, and then promptly went in to business. I know it is asking a lot to say "give me money, trust me it will be awesome.) but unfortunately that is how it is going to have to be. If you want to come out to vegas I would be more than happy to give you a ride in my car and show you the mount in the car and every thing. I would rather not post pics though. sorry.

Does this mean that if I were to buy your kit, you guys would have to install it or would I be able to order and install it at home? I understand that you dont want to get ripped off but before Im willing to drop 2000 dollars on something I definately want to see it first. Since I wont be going to Las Vegas till at earliest late next summer, the only time I may even see this is if you go to WCC next year in portland. Also what is to stop people from buying your kit then coping it that way?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mike373
post Nov 10 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 4,536

Srbliss......If your kit is less than renegade's kit, you can count me in. Will you be making the radiator brackets, and everything with full install instructions?
+Quote Post
guiltless
post Nov 10 2005, 03:57 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 4,552

It seems to me that the obvious choice for a higher HP motor would be a stand-alone engine management system a la TEC3, or something like that. No dealing with the Suby ECU and Harness and near infinite tunability to boot.

For the extra that it costs I think that it is totally the way to go. Less hastle, better performance. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mongrel-gs
post Nov 10 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 3,194

Heat was one of the first things I though about with my conversion... I didn't like when I had to ride with a credit card in one hand driving the ghia in the winter to scrap the breath frost from the windshield.

Summit has 4 or 5 different heater cores/blowers, all for less than $200. I bought the cheapest one(made by Southern Hot Rods), mounted it under the trunk just behind the starter. Duct(from McMaster) to the stock inlets at the firewall, heat is good but the cheapest heater does have a cheap blower. I'd recommend getting the Summit brand, more btu, 3 speed blower.

I have the heat working(and the amp/subwoofer for that matter) but still have error codes to fake, you can see where my priorities are. And yes, the heater circuit has to be hooked up, either with a heater core or bypass loop, for the cooling system to work.

Evan
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 10 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 4,653

QUOTE (andys @ Nov 9 2005, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Nov 9 2005, 05:44 PM)
Using exhaust gas as a source for heat is a horrible idea, not only because leaks bring poisonous fumes into the cabin, but also because gasses carry very, very little heat;

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) What are you talking about ...its been working effectivley in my stock teener for more than THIRTY YEARS!
And Im pretty sure no one has been poisened to death (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif) including me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

Every Porsche and VW on the planet, until recently, has used this system effectively and reliably. The beauty of the exhaust heater system, is that they heat up very quickly. As for your theromdynamics, don't forget that the heat source is much hotter than anything that comes from engine coolant, so losses realized through the system are inconsequencial.

Andys

Okay, didn't mean to start a flame war. When I said using air was a horrible idea, I meant given the choice between water and air, which is the case for a Suby conversion.

Also, I guess I should have searched the archives before posting; I didn't realize that the stock 914 heat system was so widely and passionately praised for its effectiveness....
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:43 PM