Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many Subaru Converts out There, Let's hear from you
WRX914
post Nov 30 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #1

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

I thought I would start this thread for all of us Subaru converts. Lets see how many of us are out there...

Keith Wilson
Las Vegas
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post Nov 30 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

slow to be sure, but we are actively moving forward.

plan 2.0 liter turbo w/ suby tranny.

SC front end in garage
SC rear brakes with e-brake and elephant racing bushnings- MR. Eric Shea
engman frame stiffener- to be welded in
Media blast next on the list....car is all stripped down
tranny pieces ordered and to be shipped upon final pricing and production
just got in the new speaker pieces, morphspectra(sp)
waiting on budget for actual engine and tranny....
interior and engineering asistance, priceless, Bob Bischoff

The joys of out of state tuition and "recognition of revenue"...the later holding up commission $$.. the piror spending them
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 30 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,653

By "convert" do you mean the people or their cars ?

I'm still driving my drippy TIV 2.0L with stretching valves, but for the past 2 months I've been trying to get the EJ25 engine I paid for on EBay. Grrr.... Anyway, assuming that turns out to be a loss, I'm toying w/ the idea of an EJ33 (6cyl, from an SVX). I almost picked one up for $750, but since I'm still not sure just how hosed I am on the other one, I didn't do it.

If it's not a hijack, does anybody know if an EJ33 would leave room for a radiator in the engine compartment ?
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Nov 30 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #4

neo life

Member No.: 159

Keith,

This is from the list in my sig:

80. Fiid, Fiid CA Subaru 2.2 Twin Turbo, Megasquirt
81. scott thacher, Scott MD 5 Subaru 2.5L
82. mongrel-gs Evan MD Subaru 2.5L EJ25
83. 914helo, Kent CA 73 Subaru 3.3L SVX
84. Hydra, Nick 70 Subaru 3.3L SVX
85. banksyinoz, AUS Subaru WRX, auto 4sp
86. audioculture, Keith NV 73 Subaru WRX
87. plymouth35, Dana NV Subaru 2.0L turbo WRX, New Renegade kit
88. guiltless Chris CA Subaru EJ20t
89. TonyAKAVW, Tony CA 74 2.5RS Subaru
90. Amenson Scott MI 73 Subaru STi 2.5L turbo

seemed to have missed Jon Watts and Steve (Srbliss) here in CA (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Nov 30 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #5

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I'm a suby conversion in progress....

Body: 1974 914
Engine: 2001 EJ25 naturally aspirated 165 HP stock
Trans: Stock 901
Cooling: Engine bay radiator
ECU: Stock Subaru ECU
Exhaust: Custom using Outback Motors 2-1 headers

-Tony
+Quote Post
atsealevel914
post Nov 30 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,618

Are you a convert If you havent yet put everything together? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Parts I have so far besides the teener

subaru ej33 engine and 5spd 5mt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

88' 930 brakes

88' 930 fuchs 7's & 9's

930 front suspension

911 and 944 rear hub and axles

I have been researching this for years and im at a level were i have everything figured out so that it will all go together smoothly and work great. My favorite part is how the engine and transaxle and clutch pack are all subaru and fit together seamlessly no adaptors and a 3.3 liter six and 5 speed transaxle which you can buy for 2k (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (saves you mucho dinero). I still need more $$$ to gather the rest of the parts and build the damn thing.

Later,
Obi
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 30 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (atsealevel914 @ Nov 30 2005, 04:55 PM)

subaru ej33 engine and 5spd 5mt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

I have been researching this for years and im at a level were i have everything figured out so that it will all go together smoothly and work great. My favorite part is how the engine and transaxle and clutch pack are all subaru and fit together seamlessly no adaptors and a 3.3 liter six and 5 speed transaxle which you can buy for 2k (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (saves you mucho dinero). I still need more $$$ to gather the rest of the parts and build the damn thing.

Hey Obi,

I take it you 5MT has the center diff welded ? Did (will) you do the job yourself ?

Is there room for a radiator in the engine bay ?

+Quote Post
ChicagoChris
post Nov 30 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #8

It was jack-stand-tastic!

Member No.: 5,062

I am not there yet. But I will be!

I like the idea of the SVX motor. 240bhp 235fpt 6 cylinder. I know the turbo makes good power too but I still like a N/A engine. The turbo mandates the radiator and an intercooler. If I can mate a 6 I think that will win.

I compared it once and a Porsche 6 cylinder with matching horse power was going to be in the $10k range, and none had EFI. Either choice beats that in $ and reliability IMHO. (don't see many Subies with oil stains where they park.)

Chris
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 30 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #9

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Could someone help to clue me in on how to I.D. the engines? I have had this one in the classifieds and know NOTHING about it as far as the model no., H.P. etc. All I know is what is in the ad. Price is not at all firm. Just my guess at its value, but i would like to know what it is and what I may want in the future (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=40608
+Quote Post
d914
post Nov 30 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

93 legacy probably a 2.2 140hp

By the way on the 3.3, what are you going to use for the computer and wire harness.??

I was going 2.0 for the after market support with computers and pre made custom harness for non-emission car...ie link or stinger.
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 30 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Well, I can't ID 'em by sight, but there's a handy reference on www.nasioc.org (Subaru Impresa Owners), under the forum on engine swaps. It ID's all (most) of the EJ series (roughly 1990+) engines. Quick summary : EJ20 is 2.0 liters, EJ33 3.3 liters, EJ22 is 2.2, etc. Also, keep an eye out for any comments by Matt Monson : he's a 914club member, and seems to be extremely knowlwedgable about Subarus. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smiley_notworthy.gif)

As for that particular engine you mentioned, I'd say pass. Unless it's a fresh rebuild or something, which I doubt. For that money you could buy an entire '93 legacy and drive it home. Keep in mind anything you buy is gonna cost hundres of $ in shipping, unless you can puck it up.

BTW, for some awesome pics of an EJ33 (and maybe a good deal for anEast Coaster) check out :

EJ33 on Ebay
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 30 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Nov 30 2005, 06:26 PM)
Well, I can't ID 'em by sight, but there's a handy reference on www.nasioc.org (Subaru Impresa Owners), under the forum on engine swaps. It ID's all (most) of the EJ series (roughly 1990+) engines. Quick summary : EJ20 is 2.0 liters, EJ33 3.3 liters, EJ22 is 2.2, etc. Also, keep an eye out for any comments by Matt Monson : he's a 914club member, and seems to be extremely knowlwedgable about Subarus. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smiley_notworthy.gif)

As for that particular engine you mentioned, I'd say pass. Unless it's a fresh rebuild or something, which I doubt. For that money you could buy an entire '93 legacy and drive it home. Keep in mind anything you buy is gonna cost hundres of $ in shipping, unless you can puck it up.

BTW, for some awesome pics of an EJ33 (and maybe a good deal for anEast Coaster) check out :

EJ33 on Ebay

Oops ! make that an EJ25. Doh !
+Quote Post
guiltless
post Nov 30 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,552

Not there yet, but in the tear down phase. I hope to be getting the engine and tranny within the next year.

Engine

ej257t- STI race preped long block. Fully forged internals. Stand alone engine management. 450hp to the crank on pump gas.

Tranny:
WRX 5-speed with PPG gears - 1&2 dog/straight cut, 3&4 dog/helical cut, 5 stock WRX

I was going with the ej20t, but then I decided to go balls out and build a track car that will be an interesting drive on the street.
+Quote Post
banksyinoz
post Nov 30 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #14

finally getting back into it

Member No.: 4,293
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE (guiltless @ Nov 30 2005, 06:32 PM)
ej257t- STI race preped long block. Fully forged internals. Stand alone engine management. 450hp to the crank on pump gas.

Tranny:
WRX 5-speed with PPG gears - 1&2 dog/straight cut, 3&4 dog/helical cut, 5 stock WRX

I was going with the ej20t, but then I decided to go balls out and build a track car that will be an interesting drive on the street.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) oh yeah thats what im talkin about

heres mine

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
banksyinoz
post Nov 30 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #15

finally getting back into it

Member No.: 4,293
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) soon

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Nov 30 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #16

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 30 2005, 03:50 PM)
seemed to have missed Jon Watts and Steve (Srbliss) here in CA (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

Yeah, what's up with that? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

Well, maybe it's because I rarely talk about it. At some point I figured out I'd rather have the car finished how I want instead of when I want; and that I'd rather learn how to get there instead of pay someone else to do it for me (not that there's anything wrong with that). Even with this I realize that when it's done it may still only be version 1.0. So real progress has been slowed but I'm constantly thinking about it and revising my ideas (shut up, I have ideas).

For the record the engine is an EJ20-TT from a JDM Liberty (Legacy platform). Like Fiid I'm dropping the wonky twin-turbo setup for a single (much better) turbo.

Jon

+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 30 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #17

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Nov 30 2005, 08:26 PM)
EJ33 on Ebay

Hmm... I drive through Whitehall on my way to work every day. I haven't committed to a Ru conversion but thinking seriously about it.

Spoke
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Nov 30 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #18

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

Heading out early Friday morning to pick up my 2004 EJ25. Sold the near perfect BMW to pay for this headache of a project..... whats up with that???? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 1 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #19

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Hi,

My body is a 1973 formerly 1.7 in rusty orange with a yellow rear quarter.

The engine is a JDM 2.0 which I converted to single turbo. Engine management is a Megasquirt with EDIS setup..

Suspension is:
Front: 23mm front torsion bars with sway bar and 911 Bilstein struts with A-Calipers.

Rear: 175lb Eibach coilovers on Koni Yellows with stock 914-6 rotors and 914-4 calipers.

Brake line T.

I used a 1992 VW Golf radiator in the front trunk for cooling.

Conversion to single turbo is a little tricky - there's some bolts that are needed with specific and hard to find thread sizes (to plug various lines out of the block) and a WRX exhaust manifold/uppipe which I scored on EBAY for about $150 (I'm using the "Megan racing" peice.

+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Dec 1 2005, 01:47 AM
Post #20

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (jonwatts @ Nov 30 2005, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 30 2005, 03:50 PM)
seemed to have missed Jon Watts and Steve (Srbliss) here in CA  :screwy:

Yeah, what's up with that? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

Well, maybe it's because I rarely talk about it. At some point I figured out I'd rather have the car finished how I want instead of when I want; and that I'd rather learn how to get there instead of pay someone else to do it for me (not that there's anything wrong with that). Even with this I realize that when it's done it may still only be version 1.0. So real progress has been slowed but I'm constantly thinking about it and revising my ideas (shut up, I have ideas).

For the record the engine is an EJ20-TT from a JDM Liberty (Legacy platform). Like Fiid I'm dropping the wonky twin-turbo setup for a single (much better) turbo.

Jon

Hey Jon, I was quite impressed seeing your car at TonyC's. You're like Jason who likes the hands on work of a great project but also doesn't promote it.

My grand scheme is to finish it before I lose interest like I had done on my V8 conversion. I stripped that car down to metal, installed the body kit, engine, and did everything 20 years ago with no support. My current desire is the final aesthetic design statement and coordinating it's build.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:07 PM