Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Subaru Converts out There
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
WRX914
I thought I would start this thread for all of us Subaru converts. Lets see how many of us are out there...

Keith Wilson
Las Vegas
d914
slow to be sure, but we are actively moving forward.

plan 2.0 liter turbo w/ suby tranny.

SC front end in garage
SC rear brakes with e-brake and elephant racing bushnings- MR. Eric Shea
engman frame stiffener- to be welded in
Media blast next on the list....car is all stripped down
tranny pieces ordered and to be shipped upon final pricing and production
just got in the new speaker pieces, morphspectra(sp)
waiting on budget for actual engine and tranny....
interior and engineering asistance, priceless, Bob Bischoff

The joys of out of state tuition and "recognition of revenue"...the later holding up commission $$.. the piror spending them
jsteele22

By "convert" do you mean the people or their cars ?

I'm still driving my drippy TIV 2.0L with stretching valves, but for the past 2 months I've been trying to get the EJ25 engine I paid for on EBay. Grrr.... Anyway, assuming that turns out to be a loss, I'm toying w/ the idea of an EJ33 (6cyl, from an SVX). I almost picked one up for $750, but since I'm still not sure just how hosed I am on the other one, I didn't do it.

If it's not a hijack, does anybody know if an EJ33 would leave room for a radiator in the engine compartment ?
neo914-6
Keith,

This is from the list in my sig:

80. Fiid, Fiid CA Subaru 2.2 Twin Turbo, Megasquirt
81. scott thacher, Scott MD 5 Subaru 2.5L
82. mongrel-gs Evan MD Subaru 2.5L EJ25
83. 914helo, Kent CA 73 Subaru 3.3L SVX
84. Hydra, Nick 70 Subaru 3.3L SVX
85. banksyinoz, AUS Subaru WRX, auto 4sp
86. audioculture, Keith NV 73 Subaru WRX
87. plymouth35, Dana NV Subaru 2.0L turbo WRX, New Renegade kit
88. guiltless Chris CA Subaru EJ20t
89. TonyAKAVW, Tony CA 74 2.5RS Subaru
90. Amenson Scott MI 73 Subaru STi 2.5L turbo

seemed to have missed Jon Watts and Steve (Srbliss) here in CA screwy.gif
TonyAKAVW
I'm a suby conversion in progress....

Body: 1974 914
Engine: 2001 EJ25 naturally aspirated 165 HP stock
Trans: Stock 901
Cooling: Engine bay radiator
ECU: Stock Subaru ECU
Exhaust: Custom using Outback Motors 2-1 headers

-Tony
atsealevel914
Are you a convert If you havent yet put everything together? biggrin.gif

Parts I have so far besides the teener

subaru ej33 engine and 5spd 5mt wink.gif

88' 930 brakes

88' 930 fuchs 7's & 9's

930 front suspension

911 and 944 rear hub and axles

I have been researching this for years and im at a level were i have everything figured out so that it will all go together smoothly and work great. My favorite part is how the engine and transaxle and clutch pack are all subaru and fit together seamlessly no adaptors and a 3.3 liter six and 5 speed transaxle which you can buy for 2k ohmy.gif (saves you mucho dinero). I still need more $$$ to gather the rest of the parts and build the damn thing.

Later,
Obi
jsteele22
QUOTE (atsealevel914 @ Nov 30 2005, 04:55 PM)

subaru ej33 engine and 5spd 5mt wink.gif

I have been researching this for years and im at a level were i have everything figured out so that it will all go together smoothly and work great. My favorite part is how the engine and transaxle and clutch pack are all subaru and fit together seamlessly no adaptors and a 3.3 liter six and 5 speed transaxle which you can buy for 2k ohmy.gif (saves you mucho dinero). I still need more $$$ to gather the rest of the parts and build the damn thing.

Hey Obi,

I take it you 5MT has the center diff welded ? Did (will) you do the job yourself ?

Is there room for a radiator in the engine bay ?

ChicagoChris
I am not there yet. But I will be!

I like the idea of the SVX motor. 240bhp 235fpt 6 cylinder. I know the turbo makes good power too but I still like a N/A engine. The turbo mandates the radiator and an intercooler. If I can mate a 6 I think that will win.

I compared it once and a Porsche 6 cylinder with matching horse power was going to be in the $10k range, and none had EFI. Either choice beats that in $ and reliability IMHO. (don't see many Subies with oil stains where they park.)

Chris
scotty b
Could someone help to clue me in on how to I.D. the engines? I have had this one in the classifieds and know NOTHING about it as far as the model no., H.P. etc. All I know is what is in the ad. Price is not at all firm. Just my guess at its value, but i would like to know what it is and what I may want in the future rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=40608
d914
93 legacy probably a 2.2 140hp

By the way on the 3.3, what are you going to use for the computer and wire harness.??

I was going 2.0 for the after market support with computers and pre made custom harness for non-emission car...ie link or stinger.
jsteele22
Well, I can't ID 'em by sight, but there's a handy reference on www.nasioc.org (Subaru Impresa Owners), under the forum on engine swaps. It ID's all (most) of the EJ series (roughly 1990+) engines. Quick summary : EJ20 is 2.0 liters, EJ33 3.3 liters, EJ22 is 2.2, etc. Also, keep an eye out for any comments by Matt Monson : he's a 914club member, and seems to be extremely knowlwedgable about Subarus. smiley_notworthy.gif

As for that particular engine you mentioned, I'd say pass. Unless it's a fresh rebuild or something, which I doubt. For that money you could buy an entire '93 legacy and drive it home. Keep in mind anything you buy is gonna cost hundres of $ in shipping, unless you can puck it up.

BTW, for some awesome pics of an EJ33 (and maybe a good deal for anEast Coaster) check out :

EJ33 on Ebay
jsteele22
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Nov 30 2005, 06:26 PM)
Well, I can't ID 'em by sight, but there's a handy reference on www.nasioc.org (Subaru Impresa Owners), under the forum on engine swaps. It ID's all (most) of the EJ series (roughly 1990+) engines. Quick summary : EJ20 is 2.0 liters, EJ33 3.3 liters, EJ22 is 2.2, etc. Also, keep an eye out for any comments by Matt Monson : he's a 914club member, and seems to be extremely knowlwedgable about Subarus. smiley_notworthy.gif

As for that particular engine you mentioned, I'd say pass. Unless it's a fresh rebuild or something, which I doubt. For that money you could buy an entire '93 legacy and drive it home. Keep in mind anything you buy is gonna cost hundres of $ in shipping, unless you can puck it up.

BTW, for some awesome pics of an EJ33 (and maybe a good deal for anEast Coaster) check out :

EJ33 on Ebay

Oops ! make that an EJ25. Doh !
guiltless
Not there yet, but in the tear down phase. I hope to be getting the engine and tranny within the next year.

Engine

ej257t- STI race preped long block. Fully forged internals. Stand alone engine management. 450hp to the crank on pump gas.

Tranny:
WRX 5-speed with PPG gears - 1&2 dog/straight cut, 3&4 dog/helical cut, 5 stock WRX

I was going with the ej20t, but then I decided to go balls out and build a track car that will be an interesting drive on the street.
banksyinoz
QUOTE (guiltless @ Nov 30 2005, 06:32 PM)
ej257t- STI race preped long block. Fully forged internals. Stand alone engine management. 450hp to the crank on pump gas.

Tranny:
WRX 5-speed with PPG gears - 1&2 dog/straight cut, 3&4 dog/helical cut, 5 stock WRX

I was going with the ej20t, but then I decided to go balls out and build a track car that will be an interesting drive on the street.

drooley.gif oh yeah thats what im talkin about

heres mine
banksyinoz
driving.gif soon
jonwatts
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 30 2005, 03:50 PM)
seemed to have missed Jon Watts and Steve (Srbliss) here in CA screwy.gif

Yeah, what's up with that? mad.gif

Well, maybe it's because I rarely talk about it. At some point I figured out I'd rather have the car finished how I want instead of when I want; and that I'd rather learn how to get there instead of pay someone else to do it for me (not that there's anything wrong with that). Even with this I realize that when it's done it may still only be version 1.0. So real progress has been slowed but I'm constantly thinking about it and revising my ideas (shut up, I have ideas).

For the record the engine is an EJ20-TT from a JDM Liberty (Legacy platform). Like Fiid I'm dropping the wonky twin-turbo setup for a single (much better) turbo.

Jon

Spoke
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Nov 30 2005, 08:26 PM)
EJ33 on Ebay

Hmm... I drive through Whitehall on my way to work every day. I haven't committed to a Ru conversion but thinking seriously about it.

Spoke
mrdezyne
Heading out early Friday morning to pick up my 2004 EJ25. Sold the near perfect BMW to pay for this headache of a project..... whats up with that???? WTF.gif
fiid
Hi,

My body is a 1973 formerly 1.7 in rusty orange with a yellow rear quarter.

The engine is a JDM 2.0 which I converted to single turbo. Engine management is a Megasquirt with EDIS setup..

Suspension is:
Front: 23mm front torsion bars with sway bar and 911 Bilstein struts with A-Calipers.

Rear: 175lb Eibach coilovers on Koni Yellows with stock 914-6 rotors and 914-4 calipers.

Brake line T.

I used a 1992 VW Golf radiator in the front trunk for cooling.

Conversion to single turbo is a little tricky - there's some bolts that are needed with specific and hard to find thread sizes (to plug various lines out of the block) and a WRX exhaust manifold/uppipe which I scored on EBAY for about $150 (I'm using the "Megan racing" peice.

neo914-6
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Nov 30 2005, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 30 2005, 03:50 PM)
seemed to have missed Jon Watts and Steve (Srbliss) here in CA  :screwy:

Yeah, what's up with that? mad.gif

Well, maybe it's because I rarely talk about it. At some point I figured out I'd rather have the car finished how I want instead of when I want; and that I'd rather learn how to get there instead of pay someone else to do it for me (not that there's anything wrong with that). Even with this I realize that when it's done it may still only be version 1.0. So real progress has been slowed but I'm constantly thinking about it and revising my ideas (shut up, I have ideas).

For the record the engine is an EJ20-TT from a JDM Liberty (Legacy platform). Like Fiid I'm dropping the wonky twin-turbo setup for a single (much better) turbo.

Jon

Hey Jon, I was quite impressed seeing your car at TonyC's. You're like Jason who likes the hands on work of a great project but also doesn't promote it.

My grand scheme is to finish it before I lose interest like I had done on my V8 conversion. I stripped that car down to metal, installed the body kit, engine, and did everything 20 years ago with no support. My current desire is the final aesthetic design statement and coordinating it's build.
atsealevel914
[/QUOTE]Hey Obi,

I take it you 5MT has the center diff welded ? Did (will) you do the job yourself ?

Is there room for a radiator in the engine bay ?

The 5mt I have is FWD wink.gif . it is the parent transmission of the 5mt all wheel drive one that all these guys are going through the trouble of converting with aussie parts. Im gonna skip that. It also has the tallest gears which the limited traction fwd application demands and the 914 3.3 would love .The final drive ratio is 3.70:1 wich is tall and favorable for a light car with a torquey six. the clutch is cable actuated no messing with a hydraulic system. It will be cable shifted through its tail shift rod. The wrx front LSD's are direct fit from the AWD to the FWD. They also have the same case and input shaft assembly. What changes is the extra case that houses the center diff and the drive pinion shaft assembly and also the internal shift rods and forks are different.

I will be mounting my rad via renegade hybrids (front) I havent mounted the motor or even mocked it up to answer your question for sure.

[/QUOTE]By the way on the 3.3, what are you going to use for the computer and wire harness.??[QUOTE]

The factory computer and modified factory harness is what i will start with but eventually go with an sds programable dfi and turbo the motor.

There is a maf upgrade and eprom rewrite for the factory ecu which really wakes up the motor in n/a trim. There are cams being made too.
WRX914
Here is what I have...

Chassis: 1973 1.7 - $2000

Engine: 2004 EJ20T (WRX Turbo) w/ 4k- $2000

Engine Management: Stock ECU w/ wiring harness - $500

Trans: 914 Limited (Brad) Custom 901 TA with 904 main shaft & "c" gear - 4 speed - $2700

Cooling: Renegade - $995

Kit: Renegade - * - $1,995
*The kit includes at 10 pieces of the Renegade Hybrids cradle style mount, rubber isolators, mount plates (front), mount blocks (rear), billet adapter plate, custom flywheel, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, Kevlar clutch disc, stage two pressure plate, and all necessary hardware.

Suspension: 1987 911 Carrera Front, 914 Rear w/ Bilsteins at all corners $975

Brakes: Front - 1987 Carrera $ included with above suspension
Rear - 914-6 Rear Discs $160

Wheels & Tires: Kinesis K27 - $3,600
Falcon - $550

Body: Auto Atlanta Steel Flares - $980
Black satin powder coated chrome trim - $250
Stripped and finished Targa top
"Old Man Don" body work - $1,400
1970 Doors

Paint: 1987 Porsche 911 "Granite Green Metallic"

Extras: Brand new rear reflector - $375
New lenses at all corners - $230
Carpet kit - $ forgot!!!
Momo steering wheel & shif knob - $240
Reupholstered stock seats w/heaters - $550
Rechromed Bumpers w/ New top rubber - $700ish
3rd Brake light - Engman - $35
Cable trunk release - Engman - $120
Short shift kit - $160 ebay
Powder coated trailing arms - $freebie
Powder coated rear mesh - $freebie
Chromed "Porshce" on rear mesh $35

The car is in final paint now - $3,800

We have already painted the front bonnett, engine bay and rear trunk. Next, Dana from Renegade (old roomate)installed the radiator, engine and transaxle. Everything is going very easy as Dana is doing all of the work for me in trade for rent. boldblue.gif clap.gif beerchug.gif To Dana, he is a real cool dude! (Damn talented as well). Once the car comes out of paint, we will slap the 911 front end on the car, hook up the brakes and bolt up the wheels. The body of the car was pretty good right from the start. Very little rust to deal with, and overall pretty straight (thank god)! I figure about 3-4 more months (and with some luck) I will be on the road. The guy who is painting the car is the same guy who paints the Coors Light offshore racing boats, so I think I will get one hellofa nice job.

As you can see, this is not cheap. But if compared to a new sports car, you can't touch the value.

I am at something around $25k... holly shit! About 10k over budget!

My fiance wants a custom closet, I told her we need to save up a little $$$... Jesus, I hope she does not know about this thread happy11.gif
WRX914
QUOTE (guiltless @ Nov 30 2005, 06:32 PM)
Not there yet, but in the tear down phase. I hope to be getting the engine and tranny within the next year.

Engine

Tranny:

You are da MAN!!! boldblue.gif

let me know how it goes. I am very interested in your trans conversion...

Mueller
As you can see, this is not cheap. But if compared to a new sports car, you can't touch the value

Not too bad price wise, luckly the Suby motors are more or less "disposable" at that price so replacements in the future won't be too much of a concern.
TonyAKAVW
I guess I should do the breakdown of cost on mine...

1974 roller - Free

Sold a bunch of stuff, most of which I got for free, which covered the following:

2001 Ej25 with 41,000 miles, stock ECU, complete wiring harness - $900
KEP adapter plate and Flywheel - $250 (Craigslist)
New Timing Belt, water pump, etc.

The following stuff I also got for free:

complete 87 sc front end with A calipers, discs, shocks, sway bar etc.
4 cookie cutter wheels
powder coated trailing arms with early 911 hubs and stub axles
vented rear discs,

I bought a transmission for $250 a while back

OEM Subaru radiator - $50 brand new off ebay

Engine support bar - $50, including materials, and professional welding

I still have about $1500 in parts to get this car roadworthy, so in the end I will have about $2000 into the entire car .

Of course at some point I'm going to do flares and get a paint job, etc. So that will add considerably to the cost, but this can be done cheaply if you are willing to do a lot of the work fabricating things yourself, and get lucky with lots of free parts.....

-Tony

WRX914
Ok Tony, let the cat out of the bag...

How did you manage so many free parts? do your knees hurt or something? chairfall.gif
914helo
Recently I've been working on the bodywork of my '73 so I haven't done much with the engine. Here's a picture of the EG33 out of a SVX mated with my 901 tranny. I did a test fit and it's tight but should work no problem. smilie_pokal.gif I'm going to flip the intake around so that I don't have to cut any sheetmetal off of the car.
'atsealevel914', I'm really interested in your cable shift setup and cv's. I'd love to know more info.
Katmanken
I'm looking at putting a 2L Type4 engine into my Subaru. Anybody else done this?

It's gonna make the car lighter and faster from all the stuff I get to throw out. Extra cams, timing belts, radiators, radiator fluids, etc. Prolly gonna swap out those heavy Subaru seats for some nice light teener buckets.

On toppa that, I get extra ground clearance from the loss of that deep oil pan! happy11.gif

Ken

TonyAKAVW
Ok Tony, let the cat out of the bag...

How did you manage so many free parts? do your knees hurt or something?

Craigslist. For instance my daily driver that I picked up for $1000 in good running condition.

That, and people who have no idea of the value of things they are giving away.

The roller I got was advertised on Pelican Parts a couple years ago, and I happened to be the first one to pick it up. Its not perfect, its been in at least one accident where it went upside down, or at least partially so. I've done a lot of work to it and more is needed...

'Course a set of Kineses wheels are not ever likely to be a freebie item smile.gif Neither is a paint job.

-Tony
Crazyhippy
I'll end up w/ a ej20T narrow bodied car. burnout.gif But you already knew that

BJH
atsealevel914
[QUOTE]'atsealevel914', I'm really interested in your cable shift setup and cv's. I'd love to know more info. [QUOTE]

My cable shifter is an MR2 shifter with two cables that go to the rear of the transaxle. how it works is the cables transalate the front and back and side to side motion of the shifter to the tail shaft of the transaxle. one cable makes the tail shaft move in and out when the the shifter goes front to back and the other cable makes the tail shaft spin clockwise and counter c. when the shifter moves side to side. A little fabication is required to mate the cables at the tranny end, its not that difficult.

My rear axles from the outside to the inside are 911 hub,944 stub axle,944 cv joint, custon shaft,subaru cv joint on subaru trans.
WRX914
Ok Tony, Here is a list of free items I need beer.gif

New windshield
new dash
...hell, new everything!

Let me know when you can ship my stuff.

Seriously, way to go! I wish I was a resourceful as you... You my friend are and animal.

aktion035.gif
Porcharu
I'm not a "convert" yet. I have the car, I have the engine and trans - and I have an 8 month pregnant wife. I think I might have a slight delay in the project biggrin.gif It will get done - right after I finish the CNC mill conversion. beer3.gif
WRX914
srbliss - Get moving on that conversion!!! Do something like put your wife in time out and work on your car two minutes at a time!!!

chairfall.gif
jsteele22
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Dec 1 2005, 11:19 AM)

I still have about $1500 in parts to get this car roadworthy, so in the end I will have about $2000 into the entire car .

You Bastard ! (What, did you kill Kenny, too ?)

I had no idea you were in it for so little coin. Of course I love to see the high-end builds some of these folks are doing, but for me (for now) it's CASOB all the way.

At least I got a better deal on my engine : $500 + $300 shipping, for an EJ25 w/ 30k on it. (Of course it hasn't come yet and I'm 93% sure it was a fraud....)

Not to pry, but when ya gonna update your progress thread....

TonyAKAVW
I'll update it when I make some more progress. I've been trying to get my daily driver's clutch cable all fixed up, and I'm waiting for my neighbor to finish welding my radiator frame. After that's done I'll give him the oil pan for modification. Its good to have an ex-professional welder as a neighbor. Yet another freebie I guess biggrin.gif

It may be a couple weeks, who knows. I think I'm going to have to replace the clutch on my daily driver.. dry.gif

-Tony

14Maschine
Anyone thinking about using an EZ33? It has variable valve timing.....
neo914-6
Suby source found on CL - San Jose

http://www.munleemotor.com
MartyYeoman
This is a great thread.

On the conversion issue, I'm still sitting on the fence.

That said, with a '75 in California (I'm smog free, until I sell)
and with a 1.8 car (no great loss for a conversion) I think all the doors are open.
I just have to deside if I want to walk thru to the other side.

I have some qustions to throw out:

1) How well does the 901 transmission hold up behind a 150/200 HP motor?

2) Are clutch upgrades needed? If so, what?

3)How difficult would a dry sump conversion be?

I have more questions but those will do for a start.
SpecialK
May be a scam, or might be just a ebay newbie that doesn't know shit about how to give a description of what he's selling. In any case, it might be worth a few emails to get the specifics.

Ebay EJ33

I definitely like the EJ33 option. An ass-load of HP/TQ without messing with the engines original specs.

Good thread guys!
Spoke
QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 1 2005, 12:52 AM)
EJ33 on Ebay

How much is this EJ25 w/15K miles worth? I managed to bump up the bid price from $500 to $660 without becoming the highest bidder or going over the reserve. I could pick this engine up on my way to work so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Spoke
914helo
I went with the EG33 SVX engine because it has a high hp/tq rating (230/228) and is still normally aspirated. Subaru's flat 6 isn't that much bigger or heavier than their flat 4, and you don't have to mess with the turbo plumbing or intercooler. The only problem with the EG33 is that they were only put on '92-'97 SVX's so there are not that many around and if you find one it may have a lot of miles on it. I was lucky to find a low-mileage 3.3L, but it had been sitting in a garage for almost 3 years so I went ahead and replaced all the gaskets, seals, water pump, belts, etc. It should last forever now.
fiid
Do pre-75 cars need a smog certificate to be sold now? (in CA?)

mrdezyne
QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 3 2005, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 1 2005, 12:52 AM)
EJ33 on Ebay

How much is this EJ25 w/15K miles worth? I managed to bump up the bid price from $500 to $660 without becoming the highest bidder or going over the reserve. I could pick this engine up on my way to work so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Spoke

I just bought a 2004 EJ25 (16kmiles) with ECU and wiring harness for $900 picked up. I've been shopping for a while and there are a lot out there that are going for $2K+.

Go to www.car-part.com and do a search for what you are looking for. I found mine within 100 miles so I didn't have to pay shipping.....
Porcharu
I paid 1400 for my 2005 with 2000 miles, came with everything.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 3 2005, 04:02 PM)
Do pre-75 cars need a smog certificate to be sold now? (in CA?)

My understanding is that all cars (regardless of year) need a valid smog cert for title transfer. That means if a car was manufactured to a smog standard it has to perform to that standard at sale time.
'75 and older are currently allowed to bypass the bi-annual smog test only (free pass). Please let me know if I'm wrong.
mrdezyne
ADMINS!

What would it take to get a seperate forum for all conversion topics? It would be nice to have a place to keep these threads instead of searching through everything else 914 related. Maybe one forum for "Conversions" then break it up into sub forums for "Subaru", "V8", "Suspension", and "Misc".....

Anyone else see a need for this stuff to be separated? It looks like there is a growing interest every month.
fiid
We need to start the SPCA as well....

smilie_pokal.gif
DBCooper
Special Porsche Cars Anonymous?
Hydra
That's a nice list of conversions

Here's my project in details:

'94 EJ20 engine sitting in the garage gathering dust as i speak (was gonna go for an EG33, but then dropped the idea: too complex and bulky)
Suby transmission 5spd mt
Megasquirt (should be somewhere over the atlantic ocean as we speak, i'm located overseas)
i'll be running a homemade frankenignition; laser cut 36-1 toothed wheel, and using the old-style suby diamond ignition module through megasquirt
Homemade engine/tranny craddle
Homemade Cv joint hookup to the 914's original ones
Engine bay mounted suby rad with 2 huge fans (hoping it'll be enough)

and... that's pretty much it....

Now, wish me luck.....

Nick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.