Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many Subaru Converts out There, Let's hear from you
Spoke
post Dec 3 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #41

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 1 2005, 12:52 AM)
EJ33 on Ebay

How much is this EJ25 w/15K miles worth? I managed to bump up the bid price from $500 to $660 without becoming the highest bidder or going over the reserve. I could pick this engine up on my way to work so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Spoke
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914helo
post Dec 3 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 2,859
Region Association: None

I went with the EG33 SVX engine because it has a high hp/tq rating (230/228) and is still normally aspirated. Subaru's flat 6 isn't that much bigger or heavier than their flat 4, and you don't have to mess with the turbo plumbing or intercooler. The only problem with the EG33 is that they were only put on '92-'97 SVX's so there are not that many around and if you find one it may have a lot of miles on it. I was lucky to find a low-mileage 3.3L, but it had been sitting in a garage for almost 3 years so I went ahead and replaced all the gaskets, seals, water pump, belts, etc. It should last forever now.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 3 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #43

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Do pre-75 cars need a smog certificate to be sold now? (in CA?)

+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Dec 3 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #44

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 3 2005, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 1 2005, 12:52 AM)
EJ33 on Ebay

How much is this EJ25 w/15K miles worth? I managed to bump up the bid price from $500 to $660 without becoming the highest bidder or going over the reserve. I could pick this engine up on my way to work so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Spoke

I just bought a 2004 EJ25 (16kmiles) with ECU and wiring harness for $900 picked up. I've been shopping for a while and there are a lot out there that are going for $2K+.

Go to www.car-part.com and do a search for what you are looking for. I found mine within 100 miles so I didn't have to pay shipping.....
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 3 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3,518

I paid 1400 for my 2005 with 2000 miles, came with everything.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Dec 4 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 839

QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 3 2005, 04:02 PM)

My understanding is that all cars (regardless of year) need a valid smog cert for title transfer. That means if a car was manufactured to a smog standard it has to perform to that standard at sale time.
'75 and older are currently allowed to bypass the bi-annual smog test only (free pass). Please let me know if I'm wrong.
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Dec 5 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #47

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

ADMINS!

What would it take to get a seperate forum for all conversion topics? It would be nice to have a place to keep these threads instead of searching through everything else 914 related. Maybe one forum for "Conversions" then break it up into sub forums for "Subaru", "V8", "Suspension", and "Misc".....

Anyone else see a need for this stuff to be separated? It looks like there is a growing interest every month.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 5 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #48

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

We need to start the SPCA as well....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 5 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #49

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Special Porsche Cars Anonymous?
+Quote Post
Hydra
post Dec 5 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #50

Quia nominor LEO

Member No.: 3,261

That's a nice list of conversions

Here's my project in details:

'94 EJ20 engine sitting in the garage gathering dust as i speak (was gonna go for an EG33, but then dropped the idea: too complex and bulky)
Suby transmission 5spd mt
Megasquirt (should be somewhere over the atlantic ocean as we speak, i'm located overseas)
i'll be running a homemade frankenignition; laser cut 36-1 toothed wheel, and using the old-style suby diamond ignition module through megasquirt
Homemade engine/tranny craddle
Homemade Cv joint hookup to the 914's original ones
Engine bay mounted suby rad with 2 huge fans (hoping it'll be enough)

and... that's pretty much it....

Now, wish me luck.....

Nick
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Dec 5 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

As soon as we close on our house, and I have garage space again, I will be dropping the 2.0 type IV out and shipping it to a buddy and going for a 2L or 2.5L turbo motor and tranny.
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Dec 7 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #52

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Marty Yeoman @ Dec 3 2005, 10:42 AM)

I have some qustions to throw out:

1) How well does the 901 transmission hold up behind a 150/200 HP motor?

2) Are clutch upgrades needed? If so, what?

3)How difficult would a dry sump conversion be?

I have more questions but those will do for a start.

I have heard that if your 901 is built correctly and you don't drive like a idiot all of the time, the 901 should last a while. I have personally spoken to guys who have 400+ hp in front of the 901 and are still after 5 years on the road. I had Brad from 914 Limited build my 901 for about $2700... It has the 904 main shaft and the 904 "C" second gear. It is now a 4-speed. I would go on renegadehybrids.com to get the answers to questions 2&3.

+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Dec 7 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 3,977

QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 3 2005, 04:02 PM)

My understanding is that all cars (regardless of year) need a valid smog cert for title transfer. That means if a car was manufactured to a smog standard it has to perform to that standard at sale time.
'75 and older are currently allowed to bypass the bi-annual smog test only (free pass). Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I just bought and registered a car that has been off the books for over 10 years (dropped off the DMV's system) It's a 1974 1.8L 914 with 2 weber carbs. I didn't have to present a smog cert for the title transfer.

FYI

-Robert
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 7 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #54

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

In California, for all cars where the TITLE states that's it's a '75 or older, you don't need a smog certificate on title transfer, or for the annual renewal, nor are you subject to the biannual testing. Doesn't matter if the car is in the DMV system or not. Essentially, you're completely exempt from getting tested for any reason.

The tricky bit is that you're only exempt from the TEST. If it's discovered through some other means that your car isn't smog legal, you're supposedly still on the hook.

+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 8 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #55

[QUOTE=atsealevel914,Dec 1 2005, 01:02 AM][/QUOTE]
The 5mt I have is FWD (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) . it is the parent transmission of the 5mt all wheel drive one that all these guys are going through the trouble of converting with aussie parts. Im gonna skip that. [/QUOTE]

There is a reason for our madness (only this one little part of the madness - the rest is (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) ) with converting from AWD to "FWD".
1. The FWD transmissions are hard to find (at least for me.)
2. The FWD transmissions are all at least 10 years old.
3. I think there have been several upgrades to the transmissions over the last 10 years.
4. Massive factory and aftermarket support for gearsets from mild to wild.

I will have about $850 in my transmission after I purchase and install the conversion kit. My transmission has 2000 miles.
+Quote Post
atsealevel914
post Dec 8 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 1,618

There is a reason for our madness (only this one little part of the madness - the rest is  ) with converting from AWD to "FWD".
1. The FWD transmissions are hard to find (at least for me.)
2. The FWD transmissions are all at least 10 years old.
3. I think there have been several upgrades to the transmissions over the last 10 years.
4. Massive factory and aftermarket support for gearsets from mild to wild.

I will have about $850 in my transmission after I purchase and install the conversion kit. My transmission has 2000 miles.

1. fwd are not hard to find there are about 20 available in car-part .com

2. Yes they are ten years old but mine has 20k miles on it.

3. they are basicaly the same transmissions and share a lot of parts which are the same like the main case the front diff and the complete input shaft assembly with all gears and parts.

4. yes the aftermarket support for the awd is great but big $$$ and requires complete assembly by an expert. The fwd has the tallest gears which i need and they go for about 200-400 dollars. you could have spares laying around.The clutch is easy to do as it is cable not hydraulic. I thought about the awd but did not know about the aussie parts and i was not ok with a useless rear section(center diff) just hanging there. I will eventually do what you are doing but not if the fwd works great (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I guess we will just have to see.

How do you shift the awd after you tamper/eliminate with the internal shift rods?
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 8 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #57

QUOTE (atsealevel914 @ Dec 8 2005, 03:28 AM)
[QUOTE] i was not ok with a useless rear section(center diff) just hanging there. I will eventually do what you are doing but not if the fwd works great (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I guess we will just have to see.

How do you shift the awd after you tamper/eliminate with the internal shift rods?

The center diff is removed and replaced with a coupler, then the rear cover is replaced with a flat plate. I don't "think" the shift rods are changed at all.

Originally I was planning on using the FWD rear cover but I gave up on that idea as I could not find a FWD trans locally.

The gearsets do cost a bit. Much less than most others makes (I was looking at $4K for my VW rabbit track car)

I will post some pics when I get the parts and install them.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 8 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #58

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Im on the same 901 that my car originally had in it. and my v8's been up for a year and a half. Roughly 3k miles. about 150 really hard miles (get on it alot...)

And I have 2 spares (if not 3)

I had almost 400 tq at one point of time (cut it back.. way to much, especially at 1.5k rpms)

So the trani will last a long time.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:13 AM