Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sudden loud engine noise!!!, Help me diagnose.. but be gentle!
Tom
post Jan 8 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Same thing happened to my 2.0 with hydraulic lifters. Running OK, shut it off. Next start, clakety- clack for about 10 minutes , slowly getting quiter. I knew what it was right off due to living with a 76 Dodge PU that I overhauled 16 years ago and put in a new cam and lifters. Every once and a while it is noisy on start up for several minutes. Been doing this for the past 10 years. What happens is this; if the leaky lifter is on the cam lobe under load when the engine stop turning, it will leak down. Upon initial start up it does not have the proper amount of oil in it and is noisy until it pumps back up. Probably should remove and replace this lifter , but otherwise the truck runs great.
I do think I should change out the lifters in my 2.0 while I have the engine out.
Anyone have a procedure for doing this. Not tearing the engine apart, only cleaning it up and replacing the clutch. Any issues with just changing out the lifters and not the cam?
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jan 8 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #42

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

usually, at least with solid lifters and cams, is that you replace them in pairs.

But i dont know anything from experiece.

b
+Quote Post
CHAFF
post Jan 8 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,749

Tom something is buggin the hell outta me.

Could u get hydraulic lifters for the 2.0L? I thought they were only solid.

-L
+Quote Post
markb
post Jan 8 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #44

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 7 2006, 05:42 PM)
Hydros require a hydro cam, right? So I at least know I have a non-stock cam and can't go back to d-jet?

The Blue-soon-to-be-Red car has hydraulics in a 1.7 with Djet. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jan 9 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Chaff,
Yes hydraulic lifters are possible. Some HP loss, but I believe the chances for valve and head damage from ill adjusted solids is much less. Hydraulics are more forgiving. Anyone else have any knowledge to expand on this? Previous owner had the engine rebuilt at 43, 000 miles after dropping a valve on #3. Had hydraulics installed during engine rebuild. Engine was rebuilt again at 61,000 - don't know why, maybe first rebuild was not by a top notch mechanic. At second rebuild , lifters were not replaced. Now I'm thinking I should get them replaced.
Tom
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jan 9 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #46

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If the oil is dirty, those VW lifters can bleed down and not repressurize after you start the car, move it in the driveway, and shut it off. Only use synthetic oil, change regularly, and use a good filter.

Hydros aren't great for air cooled and the overheating stretchy valve before breaky/valve seat fall from head issues. When you have solids, you go into the engine, adjust the valves and have a clue if the valves are stretching or the valve seats are moving. If the valve starts stretching or constantly changing, stop running it, it's time for a rebuild.

With hydros it's set and forget. They sorta run ok, and adjust for a stretching valve or a seat as it loosens up until....BOOM, you got an engine fulla broken parts.

Vanagons are water cooled and don't have as many overheating head issues so they hydros sorta work.

As per swaping them out, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have heard of one or two lifters being replaced on an old cam, but it's a risk. After rebuilding air cooled engines and looking at the parts, those old cam lobes are usually all different sizes and lifts from lobe to lobe. All new hydros means all new cam to me.

Hope that helps
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:26 AM