Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm Back, Finally got my car off jackstands!
riverman
post Dec 7 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Learn As I Go

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I took the summer off from working on the teener to get married, put an extension on my house, re-landscape my yard, and start a new business. Now I've finally got some time to get going again on this very long-term (yet favourite) project.

Last winter I stripped the car, boxed the longitudinals for rust reasons, repaired the hell-hole, replaced the passenger side rear suspension ear, and installed the Mayeur Longitudinal kit. This winter I want to replace all the rusted out spots on the floor and the body (big job), engineer and install a radiator for the V8, and get the body primed and sealed to help slow down mother-rust.

As you can see, I've put the car up a movable dolly (therefore, no jackstands). This allows me to move the car into the middle of the garage when I'm working it and then tuck it away in the corner when I'm not. It sure makes moving around the car alot easier. I've got it up higher off the ground, too (28 inches). I think this is a much better height for doing bodywork. I would only recommend doing this if you have the engine, tranny, and suspension out of the car. Otherwise, the car would be too heavy.

Anyway, it's nice to be back - I sort of missed the peanut gallery over the summer.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 7 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) almost done!
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Dec 7 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

Very cool. I'm curious.... how much does a 914 shell weigh? How many people did it take to get it up on the platform?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 7 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

cool!

interesting longitudinal
+Quote Post
riverman
post Dec 7 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #5

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (MrKona @ Dec 7 2005, 02:38 PM)
Very cool. I'm curious.... how much does a 914 shell weigh? How many people did it take to get it up on the platform?

I don't have any weights for a gutted 914, but I got it up there by myself. I jacked the front end up as high as I could and then slid a stack of the 5 wheels I took off the car under the front trunk. I then jacked the back of the car as high as I could and rolled the dolly under the car. I used two hydralic jacks and a stack of foundation bricks. The car wasn't totally stable all the time it was on the jacks, but I kept my body well away from everything just in case it fell. Because of the bricks, the car shouldn't have fallen any further than the hieght of the raised jack, but maybe I got lucky. If I did it again, I'd have a couple of buddies help me.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 7 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #6

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Welcome back. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

I was guessing somewhere around 500lbs, I had 4 of my friends lift mine once so I could set it on the ground.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 7 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (MrKona @ Dec 7 2005, 12:38 PM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 08:47 AM