Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm Back
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
riverman
I took the summer off from working on the teener to get married, put an extension on my house, re-landscape my yard, and start a new business. Now I've finally got some time to get going again on this very long-term (yet favourite) project.

Last winter I stripped the car, boxed the longitudinals for rust reasons, repaired the hell-hole, replaced the passenger side rear suspension ear, and installed the Mayeur Longitudinal kit. This winter I want to replace all the rusted out spots on the floor and the body (big job), engineer and install a radiator for the V8, and get the body primed and sealed to help slow down mother-rust.

As you can see, I've put the car up a movable dolly (therefore, no jackstands). This allows me to move the car into the middle of the garage when I'm working it and then tuck it away in the corner when I'm not. It sure makes moving around the car alot easier. I've got it up higher off the ground, too (28 inches). I think this is a much better height for doing bodywork. I would only recommend doing this if you have the engine, tranny, and suspension out of the car. Otherwise, the car would be too heavy.

Anyway, it's nice to be back - I sort of missed the peanut gallery over the summer.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif almost done!
MrKona
Very cool. I'm curious.... how much does a 914 shell weigh? How many people did it take to get it up on the platform?
Aaron Cox
cool!

interesting longitudinal
riverman
QUOTE (MrKona @ Dec 7 2005, 02:38 PM)
Very cool. I'm curious.... how much does a 914 shell weigh? How many people did it take to get it up on the platform?

I don't have any weights for a gutted 914, but I got it up there by myself. I jacked the front end up as high as I could and then slid a stack of the 5 wheels I took off the car under the front trunk. I then jacked the back of the car as high as I could and rolled the dolly under the car. I used two hydralic jacks and a stack of foundation bricks. The car wasn't totally stable all the time it was on the jacks, but I kept my body well away from everything just in case it fell. Because of the bricks, the car shouldn't have fallen any further than the hieght of the raised jack, but maybe I got lucky. If I did it again, I'd have a couple of buddies help me.
Lou W
Welcome back. smile.gif

I was guessing somewhere around 500lbs, I had 4 of my friends lift mine once so I could set it on the ground.
SirAndy
QUOTE (MrKona @ Dec 7 2005, 12:38 PM)

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.