Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The $5k Engine, It's real.
McMark
post Dec 8 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The 125 HP, $5000 Type IV is now available! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

Jake has chosen me to help make this engine a reality. This engine is a tried and true combo that Jake has developed over the years and all head work and assembly is done by me. Jake has created a special package for us that is not available on his website. I get the full package from him, and then I have your heads rebuilt and bolt it all together. This setup will produce about 125 hp with carbs or tunable EFI and 110 hp with stock D-Jet or L-Jet*.

This engine is a 2056cc longblock with a special cam, full balance job and fully rebuilt heads will all new parts (seats, valves, guides, etc). This is not your run of the mill engine rebuild and this is not a "discount" engine. No corners are cut to reduce the price. Jake and I have worked out a deal that allows me to offer a QUALITY engine for only $5000. The balance job is Jake's "Improved Balance", the head parts are modified and tweaked for longevity, the lifters are proven to not go flat, and best of all the combo is proven to make power. Making power with the Type IV is all in the combo, as Jake has proven again and again. The engine comes to you already broken in and ready for you to bolt up your carbs or FI. You can use your stock heater boxes, although a header system will give you a 7% gain, and a Tangerine header system will get you a 15% boost.

There is a $750 refundable core charge for a 2.0 core engine, or the following pieces:
* Flywheel
* 2.0 crank
* 2.0 rods
* Cooling fan with NO broken fins
* 1.7 style rocker arms (13 mm adjuster nut)

In addition, you will need to supply:
* 1.8 or 2.0 heads that will be rebuilt.
Condition is irrelevant and un-rebuilt heads are preferred. If you have heads that have already been "rebuilt" those heads will either be rebuilt again by me or if you insist on not having them rebuilt there will be no warranty on the engine. Cracks are acceptable and will be repaired during the rebuild process.
* Case (any 914 case will work just fine)
* Taco Plate + O-Ring
* Oil Filter Console
* Oil Bypass Springs/Pistons
* Drain Plug
* Distributor Drive Gear + Special Washer
* Under Cylinder Engine Tin
* Oil Cooler
* Oil Cooler Thick Washers
* Fan Mount + Bolts
* Oil Baffle + Seals (OPTIONAL)
* Oil Pressure Switch OR Pressure Sender
* Oil Filler + Bail
* Head Nuts + Washers
* Through Bolts
* Oil Pickup
* Sump Cover
* Endplay Shims
* Distributor Clamp
* Valve Covers + Bails
* Rocker Shafts
* Rocker Shaft Mounts

These engines are a longblock only, no tin, no ignition, no exhaust and no installation. Everything on the engine is freshened/rebuilt, including the following:
* Rebuilt and balanced set of crank and rods
* Fully balanced rotating assembly that has been balance one step above what's normally available in his kits (extra value above buying a kit directly from Jake)
* New pistons, rings, cylinders
* Fully rebuilt heads with all new parts that are modified by Jake (new special seats, new special guides, new valves, new springs, new retainers, new keepers, any cracks repaired)
* New hardware kit to replace worn out nuts and bolts
* New cam and Jake's custom lifters that work
* Custom cut ChroMoly pushrods
* New clutch disk and pressure plate
* Case galley plugs tapped for threaded inserts

These engines come with a 6-month, 6k mile limited warranty. I will, of course, be standing behind my work, as always. Note that installing ignition and induction can be tricky and a poorly tuned engine can kill a perfectly good rebuild.

These engines will take roughly 3-4 months to build from order to delivery depending on shipping times and how quickly I can receive the kits from Jake.

These kits will not require an external oil cooler in most climates, but is very dependent on how well the engine is tuned. If you install one of my motors that runs hot, my first question will be the state of tune.

Installation is available for additional cost, PM me for details.

For those of you who don't have 2.0 engine core parts, I'm also offering a 1911cc longblock designed by Jake that makes 90 hp with carbs*. These engines go for $4500 which will save you $1250 off the 2056cc engine since you don't need the cores. This engine is comparable to a stock 2.0 and can use the stock 2.0 D-Jet.

If you have any questions about either of these engines, feel free to ask me. Don't both asking Jake about these engines because he'll send you right back to me. These engines are fully designed by Jake, but all responsibility lies with me.

*Horsepower numbers are quoted using a Mallory distributor, 2.0 heads and SSI 2.0 heater boxes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 8 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

I have one 2056 kit ready to go and as a promotion, the first buyer will get $500 off. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 8 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So mark the 1911 is built of off what core parts a 1.8?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 8 2005, 01:41 AM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I'll only be weighing in here with this single post....

I have the confidence that Mark can support my components and products enough to make this a reality. I have worked out an arrangement that allows Mark to provide a 100% balanced assembly (balanced to my intermediate spec) with a known design and known result. The carbureted version of this engine is EXACTING the engine in my 912E that was built 3.5 years ago from used parts primarily and has carried my ass 90K miles without a hitch and pure abuse and neglect.

Mark is "The man" for these kits. I have only offered him the 1911 and 2056 arrangements as these kits work excellent with absolute bone stock heads that he can have machined locally as our head work is what drastically increases prices, but is not a necessity on engines in this state of tune. Mark will be getting all our components for the heads, however, including our cryoed seats, proprietary guides and the necessary springs and guides.

I have sent Mark extensive dyno information from the combos he has stated and I time and again received these results when I still built a lot of engines of this power level.

Basically Mark is in the position to provide you guys with exactly what you have been looking for, based on good parts that are easy (and cheap) for him to assemble with just a little more effort than normal on my end.

I will close by saying that my parts and designs are being used for this endeavor, but I will only be supporting these kits via Mark. he can answer all your questions and particulars just as well as I can at this point.
he has one kit just a few days away from being assembled- who is going to be first???

(Now back in the foxhole)
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Dec 8 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Cheaky Monkey

Member No.: 3,789
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) So, in theory if I want a 2056cc but haven't a 2L core it would be $5500?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 8 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 7 2005, 11:35 PM)
So mark the 1911 is built of off what core parts a 1.8?

The 1911 uses a 66mm crank which came in either the 1.8 or the 1.7 and a set of 96mm pistons & cylinders. It's a nice engine that's comparable to a stock 2.0, but feels slightly different because of the short stroke, big bore setup.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 8 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #7

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ahh.. so 96 mm P&C's so 2.0 heads
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 8 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Grimstead @ Dec 8 2005, 06:14 AM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) So, in theory if I want a 2056cc but haven't a 2L core it would be $5500?

Yes, it would be $5500. That's exactly right.

Except, there is that promotion slot that still hasn't been filled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 8 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 8 2005, 08:47 AM)
Ahh.. so 96 mm P&C's so 2.0 heads

This engine needs either 1.8 heads or 2.0 heads. Both have the same cylinder diameter. 1.7 heads can be opened up to fit as well. Like all of these engines, I rebuild what I'm given. So if you want the performance boost that 2.0 heads give, then I can put them on. If you don't want to deal with the expense of 2.0 heads, 1.8 heads can be used. This goes for the 2056 as well, 1.8 heads can be used for either.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 10 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #10

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I think it is wonderful that you are stepping up to provide this service... I applaud both you and Jake for this move..

I am almost ashamed that no-one has jumped at this deal...

Everyone that was whining should step forward.

I suggest you put a marker in the main garage forum...I was just bored and came here to see what was new...

Rich
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 10 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

I don't want to be overly self promotional. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

But, I'm really surprised that no one has either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I really thought I was helping fill a need for affordable, powerful engines. 125 hp in a 914 is A BLAST! When other 914 owners have ridden in my black car they were impressed with the power and it's only got 86 hp. A 50% improvement in power would be WILD! I think people get caught up in the numbers and don't realize just how fast 125 hp 914 is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 11 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #12

914 Freak!

124.7 HP, 130.7 ft/lbs Torque. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Dec 11 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #13

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds awesome.
so is this 2056 setup basically the 2056 kit offered by Jake or.. ?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 11 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

There are actually a couple hundred dollars worth of improvements over the kit from Jake. It comes with the next step up of balancing from the kit as well as a complete, brand new engine hardware kit. So you're actually getting a better deal than just buying the kit from Jake.
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Dec 11 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #15

Cheaky Monkey

Member No.: 3,789
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 8 2005, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE(Grimstead @ Dec 8 2005, 06:14 AM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) So, in theory if I want a 2056cc but haven't a 2L core it would be $5500?

Yes, it would be $5500. That's exactly right.

Except, there is that promotion slot that still hasn't been filled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Mark, If I wasn't in the middle of a huge remodeling project ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif) ) on my house, I think I would be all over this one.

Now, if you wanted to do some kind of layaway... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Dec 11 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #16

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2005, 08:53 PM)

I really thought I was helping fill a need for affordable, powerful engines. 125 hp in a 914 is A BLAST!

You are and I also applaud you. Problem is there are two big groups that make up the majority of 914er's. Those who know what it takes because they've BTDT and now don't need a motor and those who are about to find out the hard way and will have depleted their funds trying and later unable to purchase your motors. Me, I'm in the "where was this a year ago" group (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and I have the receipts to prove it.
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Dec 11 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #17

mr. Wonderful

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2005, 09:53 PM)
125 hp in a 914 is A BLAST! When other 914 owners have ridden in my black car they were impressed with the power and it's only got 86 hp. A 50% improvement in power would be WILD! I think people get caught up in the numbers and don't realize just how fast 125 hp 914 is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
My old tired 1.7 probably had 70hp, if even that. 125 must be wild. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 12 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Yet again this group has proven that you can literally give them EXACTLY what they want for the price they want and they still won't open their wallet- not even an ounce!

The only way this was going to work for Mark, or myself was with volume sales and its pretty apparent that the volume won't be worth the effort we (Mark and I) have already put into it.
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Dec 12 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #19

mr. Wonderful

now Jake... give it time. I'm interested and Mark and i have been discussing engine details.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Dec 12 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #20

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Hammy @ Dec 12 2005, 11:03 AM)
now Jake... give it time. I'm interested and Mark and i have been discussing engine details.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Its been what all of 4 days since the first post.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:36 PM