Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The $5k Engine, It's real.
Lavanaut
post Jan 4 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #121

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Have you been able to drive her yet?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 4 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #122

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Jan 5 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #123

Cheaky Monkey

Member No.: 3,789
Region Association: Southern California

I think I’ve gotten about 30miles on her so far. I haven’t had much time with the holidays and all to do much work on the car. When Mark brought the engine, it was at 97% ready, I just need to play with the timing a little and fix a carb issue (both of which have nothing to do with Marks work).

I am still very happy with my decision to have this done, the engine fires up every time (doesn’t drip a drop of oil) and the few times I’ve driven her so far have been really fun. If the weather doesn’t turn to crap I’ll be driving it to Greg’s BBQ this Sunday so I should have a better review of the engine when I return.

One of my major concerns going into this was what happens if I was shipped a hand grenade and this thing blows up after my first drive around the block or if it dies two months down the road (when I signed up for this I did not know Mark at all, except from the posts I had read on the board). While I obviously haven’t had any problems with the engine so far, after getting to know Mark (and I would argue, becoming friends) I am very confident he will not leave me or any 5k customer hanging if a problem does arise.

Mark has definitely had some growing pains getting this project (head work has been his big issue) as a whole, off the ground. From what I haven seen, he is working through those issues and has brought what he can in-house and found a reliable machine shop for the rest. Personally I think this is a great option for those of us that don’t have the knowledge or time (Brian, are you reading this?) to build an engine ourselves. Could I have bought the kit straight from Jake and built it myself? Sure, with the help of my SoCal friends but I would have asked a lot of favors (more than I do now) and with my time spent I don’t think I would have saved much.

What was the question again?
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Jan 6 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #124

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

LOL!!
I'm here.. This is one avenue I am considering.. I am really interested in hearing from you after your drive tomorrow...
+Quote Post
Qball
post Jan 18 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 5,734

QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Jan 6 2007, 09:25 AM) *

LOL!!
I'm here.. This is one avenue I am considering.. I am really interested in hearing from you after your drive tomorrow...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Jan 18 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #126

Cheaky Monkey

Sorry I haven’t updated lately. I kept planning to start a new thread in the garage but never got around to it.

I took it on her longest drive a couple of weeks ago to hang out with Slits for the day. It was only a 20min drive but I got to take the freeway. First off, I still have some stuff to tweak but Marks motor is doing great. My oil temp never made it half way on the combo gauge and my new CHT gauge was reading about 250 on the streets and maybe hit 290 on the freeway. The motor really did well on the drive and always loves to start when I want her to. I am still very conservative while driving her but when Aaron took it out for a spirited spin a while back he seamed to think it had more torque than his built 2.0. Other than a sticking throttle cable, I think he enjoyed the drive.

I still, full heartedly, think this was a great choice to make and I can’t wait to finish up the little stuff to start driving her on a daily basis
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 19 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #127

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Sweet. Go get yourself the Terry cable throttle cable; yank all the old stuff out and stuff the new one in...I was nervous at first but I've done it twice now (once on a friends 914) and no hitches either time.

The reason I say this is becase I now have AWESOME throttle RESPONSE and the problem was never my engine, it was always the sticky cable and loose cable stop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Jan 19 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #128

Graduate of Life's experiences

Member No.: 6,753
Region Association: None

excuse me..but whats a Terry cable? IS this a morse style?

Michael
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 19 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #129

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

terry cable is a premium brand of cables...
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Mar 31 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #130

The Bogus One

Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

You caught me early. I just found this post today. I have been considering my options for dealing with my 76 2.0 and you have settled the debate in my head. I will be saving my pennies, and when I have them all I will be getting a new motor from you with the Mega Squirt. I can't say exactly when it will happen, but you will be the second to know when I have the cash (the wife will have to know first).

Jim

Yippeeeeeeee, I finally have a plan!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 2 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #131

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

congrats Jake on a truly affordable high horsepower engine!
+Quote Post
Qball
post May 14 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #132

Any updates on a running motor? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post May 22 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #133

Cheaky Monkey

The engine is running great, even better after we found out the range hadn't been set on the Mallory (thanks again for the help Mark). I am still fighting a exhaust leak so I haven't had much road time but that isn't a engine issue. I also put in one of those eBay mini starters and I'm really liking that as well.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Qball
post May 22 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #134

QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 22 2007, 09:09 AM) *

The engine is running great, even better after we found out the range hadn't been set on the Mallory (thanks again for the help Mark). I am still fighting a exhaust leak so I haven't had much road time but that isn't a engine issue. I also put in one of those eBay mini starters and I'm really liking that as well.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Good to hear, mine should be rolling in shortly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post May 23 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #135

Cheaky Monkey

How long does Mark think it's going to take to get to you?

If it makes you feel any better when I first signed up for the engine I didn't know Mark at all except from reading his posts. But I have to say that after the whole process was done (and it took a while as well), not only did Mark go the extra mile to get me up & running but he also became a friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . I only mention this cause in the beginning there was that little fear that I was going to get ripped off and obviously that didn't happen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I'm sure when it is all said & done, you're going to be very happy with this combo. BTW, what exhaust setup are you going with & did you go with the Mallory?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Qball
post May 24 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #136

QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 23 2007, 06:40 PM) *

How long does Mark think it's going to take to get to you?

If it makes you feel any better when I first signed up for the engine I didn't know Mark at all except from reading his posts. But I have to say that after the whole process was done (and it took a while as well), not only did Mark go the extra mile to get me up & running but he also became a friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . I only mention this cause in the beginning there was that little fear that I was going to get ripped off and obviously that didn't happen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I'm sure when it is all said & done, you're going to be very happy with this combo. BTW, what exhaust setup are you going with & did you go with the Mallory?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Waiting on the heads which I know have been a thorn in Mark's side. I had a good feeling about Mark and this project from day one and that's why I went with it, no regrets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Going with the Mallory and carbs. As far as exhaust I have a pair of 2.0 ssi's in the garage waiting to go. Thanks for the feedback, its good to hear.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Jul 11 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #137

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265

McMark, if I were to buy a teener specifically for this engine upgrade, what would be the optimal candidate? Would your answer differ if budget wasn't a concern? (e.g. 73 2.0 w/ no budget defined, 72 1.7 with a budget, as a random example)

Thanks
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 11 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #138

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

My biggest concern is usually SMOG/Emission controls. Secondly would be an early car for the bumpers (backdating costs $). Other than that I don't have much preference. 73/74 cars are going to have the most resale value because of all of the 'buyers guides' out there. People are wanting those cars somewhat blindly. When buying a car, I always look for the best chassis, looking specifically at rust damage and accident damage. I always say, build the best chassis you can (solid & straight) because everything else bolts onto that. You can easily build a nice chassis and bolt used suspension/brakes on, then replace/refresh those parts as $/time allows. If you have a nice chassis (not even finish painted, just straight and solid) and a new motor, you can EASILY have a rolling restoration.

Preference by years would be:

#1: 73/74 - The 'prime' years.
#1b: 70-72 - nothing wrong with these, but resale value may be slightly lower
#2: 75 - backdating costs, extra weight in the body
#3: 76 - backdating costs, extra weight in the body, CA smog rules

But any straight and solid car that's priced well would be a good car to build up.
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Jul 11 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #139

Cheaky Monkey

Big Bumper Bigot!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 11 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #140

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I knew somebody would take offense. I'm just playing to the popularity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:12 PM