Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The $5k Engine, It's real.
Lavanaut
post Jul 12 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #141

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 11 2007, 03:22 PM) *

My biggest concern is usually SMOG/Emission controls. Secondly would be an early car for the bumpers (backdating costs $). Other than that I don't have much preference.

Good feedback, but I was thinking more from a technical standpoint. For example, a set of 1.7 rockers has to be sourced, correct? And I believe I read that 2.0l heads make more power than 1.7/1.8?

It's more from that standpoint that I was asking. Should've included those examples in my original question, my bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Lava
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 12 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #142

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Ahhh, I get it now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) You absolutely need a set of 8mm rockers (commonly on 1.7s, but found on others). 914 2.0 heads make the most power, but we could build off of 1.8 or bus 2.0 heads. 1.7 heads take some minor work to adapt. Finding a 2.0 engine would be the best solution because you get most of the necessary core items in one place for one price. But if you got a 1.7/1.8, sourcing the 2.0 parts necessary is not difficult.

Maybe that helps a little more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 22 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #143

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
silver arrow
post Mar 3 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 8,760

I see this thread started several years ago. How much hp could you get out of a complete 1.7 motor retaining FI and how much are we talking?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 8 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #145

914 Freak!

Do you mean how much HP keeping it a 1.7? Or turning the 1.7 into a 1911?
+Quote Post
scottb
post May 17 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #146

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

i will post a "seat of the pants" update as soon as i get the car back from our friends at CFR.

mark was always great with communication and letting me know what was slowing things down (yep, heads). i had some issues with selling a house which added to the time but that was all my fault. mark was great to accomodate.

anyway, i hope to have an update in about a week.

cheers....

scottb
+Quote Post
scottb
post May 23 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #147

who wants a PEZ?!

check out my thread in the garage.....

this engine is great!!!!!

BUY ONE!!!!

you know you want it.... your wife will forgive you in time... mine did.
+Quote Post
bembry
post Sep 9 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Whoo Hoo! I'm going for it!

My car has been sitting around dead for way too long.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
alex914
post Oct 29 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 7,861

Mark finished putting in a variation of one of these 2056 engines in my 73. It was a special kit Jake Raby put together that had different heads. The car hasn't been dyno'd yet so I can't give any concrete numbers. The goal was 140+hp. The engine has transformed my once tame car into something pretty fierce.
The engine develops lots of torque and it's easy to break the back end loose around corners now.
I splurged and bought a Tangerine header so the 914 sounds a bit like a race car at full throttle.

Mark is a true enthusiast and a thoughtful engine builder. I can't recommend this motor enough!
+Quote Post
scottb
post May 11 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #150

who wants a PEZ?!

a bump and an update. had a lean situation on the 3rd cylinder carb throat that caused a backfire. chased a bunch of dead ends before figuring that out. got that done in the late fall and have had the car out a number of times this spring. total of about 2k miles on the engine and it runs like a champ. the temp on the stock guage never gets past 1/4 even in hot stop and go traffic. i have early tangerine style headers and a non-stock muffler so should be around 140 hp per the literature.

this thing is a blast. i am fortunate to also have an evil built transaxle along with a j-west fully modded shift linkage so my drive train is very solid and sound. i have nothing but praise for the motor, trans and linkage. along with the work from the good folks at CFR in manchester CT.

buy one of these engines. you will not regret it.

if you are in the northeast and considering one of these engines, send me a message an i would be happy to let you take the car out for a spin.

cheers,

scott

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 18 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #151

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(alex914 @ Oct 29 2008, 05:06 PM) *

Mark is a true enthusiast and a thoughtful engine builder. I can't recommend this motor enough!

And he has a big brain! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cevan
post May 21 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 7,351

QUOTE(scottb @ May 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *

a bump and an update. had a lean situation on the 3rd cylinder carb throat that caused a backfire. chased a bunch of dead ends before figuring that out. got that done in the late fall and have had the car out a number of times this spring. total of about 2k miles on the engine and it runs like a champ. the temp on the stock guage never gets past 1/4 even in hot stop and go traffic. i have early tangerine style headers and a non-stock muffler so should be around 140 hp per the literature.

this thing is a blast. i am fortunate to also have an evil built transaxle along with a j-west fully modded shift linkage so my drive train is very solid and sound. i have nothing but praise for the motor, trans and linkage. along with the work from the good folks at CFR in manchester CT.

if you are in the northeast and considering one of these engines, send me a message an i would be happy to let you take the car out for a spin.

cheers,

scott

Hey Scott, I put a 2.0 in my car this past winter to replace the 1.8 and I'm happy with the modest increase in power. When the 2.0 eventually needs a rebuild, I'll probably build a Raby kit. I'd love to go for a spin in the mean time.

Chris
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Jul 25 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #153

Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 21 2009, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(scottb @ May 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *

cheers,

scott

Hey Scott, I put a 2.0 in my car this past winter to replace the 1.8 and I'm happy with the modest increase in power. When the 2.0 eventually needs a rebuild, I'll probably build a Raby kit. I'd love to go for a spin in the mean time.

Chris

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
$41/month to $83/month to have a 50% more powerful-cooler engine.
Cost shared over life of the engine five or ten years. Getting to drive it (fast!) 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year as a daily (fun) driver.
Gad, it would save $83 a month on wear and tear on my regular car every other month anyway. Miles I don't put on my new car. 4,000 miles a year vs. 12,000.
It adds up with a newer car at resale time. And maintance time. And repair time.

Heck, its' your duty to your wife and family to save them this cost and buy a 2056 engine.
Its' the right thing to do...$10 dollars a week has never been so fun...
?what excuses?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Jul 25 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #154

Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) I will be in line shorty. Skipping $10 lunch at work and $50 a week closer. + extra (work) shifts. Now saved $3100...Thanks for the great work! jzn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
scottb
post Aug 15 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #155

who wants a PEZ?!

went for a tear today and am still very happy with the motor. pulls like a fiend well past 6k. with dual webers and a header, sounds awesome with a very even acceleration. i remain a very happy customer.

cheers....

scott

+Quote Post
914rat
post Nov 2 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #156

Member No.: 6,362

So the 125 hp motor with a Tangerene Header produces 140+ hp?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 2 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #157

914 Freak!

Somewhere in that range, with the high end HP cam and the tangerine headers. But that cam does have a bit of a 'lumpy' idle, so a lot of the 2056s get a cam that gives up a little top end HP in favor of better low speed drivability.

And it necessary to note that the HP estimations are just that, estimates. I'm not selling a HP number, and no HP number is guaranteed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
914rat
post Nov 2 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #158

Member No.: 6,362

I understand that a longblock engine only has horespower potential up to a certain point.The true power has to be tuned in by the final installer.I just wanted to clarify in my own understanding of how these engines get power and the potential of their state of tune under the best circumstances, build quality with professional labor using quality parts that work as a combo,proven ignition,proven induction,and proven exhaust.Then final tune on a dyno to optimize the system to verify results.

So the potential of the $5000 engine is 0-143.75 based on the Tangerine adding 15% more power.Under the scrutiny of ignition,induction, exhaust, and final tuning.

I never really got the full potential of a 2056 until now.
That is friggin awesome.

I might be able to get 100 HP with my tuning abilities. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 2 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #159

914 Freak!

Additionally, every set of heads is slightly different and compression ratio varies from engine to engine, as well as the slight differences between intake/exhaust port flow. So two engines with the same setup on paper can perform differently when they're actually built.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 4 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #160

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hey Mark! If this build is what we talked about today, then I don't have any other expectations. Can't wait. I've got a set of ACE built 40 IDFs, and a Mallory lookin for a new home. I'll pm some questions about core, etc... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:29 PM