Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The $5k Engine, It's real.
Jake Raby
post Dec 12 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Heck with as much interest this had you wuld have thought the intro kit would have sold in 15 minutes...

Mark has to buy these kits from me 3 at a time to get these prices, so the only way this is going to happen is with volume.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Dec 13 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #22

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well shoot I just happened to stumble on one of Mark's post's
Hmmmm What's the link? Clickety Click and whala I missed the whole damn thing.
So bump for the guys who need a motor.
I am confident I can do a kit myself so I am in the "other group" of BTDT.

as for a 914 with a 125 HP Oh yea they are a blast.
I already know I will want more to be competative in SM-2 so I'll be going bigger.
+Quote Post
fkelso
post Dec 13 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,084

I think the lukewarm response is simple, the price is
just way to high!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 14 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

There's only one way to get a cheaper engine, build it yourself. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) And buy all the tools you need. And learn all the tricks there are. And exactly how long is that going to take? So, in reality, it's still not really cheaper.

I know $5k is a fair chunk of change (hell, I couldn't afford it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)) but in terms of the economy of it, it cannot be done any cheaper without compromising quality. And if you start compromising quality, what's the point?

I can understand that $5k is a lot of money, but if you're going to say it's not worth $5k or that the same engine could be built for cheaper, then I'm pissed off. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) The profit margin on this project is very slim. I'm doing it because I thought there needed to be a relatively cheap option for 914 owners.

Whatever, now I'm pissed off. Maybe I should just start building them for free.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Dec 14 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #25

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Mark honestly I don't know how many people have seen this as it is not in the "garage". I only stumbled on it.
The last motor (warmed over 2.0L) I built was done nearly as a favor Still cost the guy 2500 bucks so I know where you are coming from. My labor came out to about .10 cents an hour. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
I guess the only way to get someone to buy a motor is to give free rides in a hopped up teener.

After I drove Jake's car I knew I wanted a 2316. Hell I even tried to buy his motor from him but something went askew in the whole thing.

Hell there are a couple of guys that have driven my car (Loyal Honda fans) that said they are now looking for a 914 to race. one guy got his check book out to buy it on the spot.

How do you market a motor? I don't know I'm just a good ole boy with a knack for turning wrenches. I just don't think the 914 market will make much profit selling engines. Heck just look at where most of Jake's motors go... not that many 914's cept real race cars.

Don't even think flipping 914-6 conversions ala Camp 914 is a big money maker. Labor of love maybe...
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 14 2005, 07:29 AM
Post #26

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Don't want to hijack the thread, but jeez Jake, did it ever occur to you that insulting an entire segment of your potential customers might not be a real effective marketing move? "Step up! PROVE you're not all deadbeats!" That's sure not going to sell me, and I don't think it's doing Mark any favors, either.
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Dec 14 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #27

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719

QUOTE(fkelso @ Dec 13 2005, 09:48 PM)
I think the lukewarm response is simple, the price is
just way to high!

When I read this person's post, I took it as a joke. Not sure why it was taken so seriously, I'm fairly new here, but this is from a person with 6 posts.
+Quote Post
fkelso
post Dec 14 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,084

Mark, sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off, I'm sure you do a good job on these
engines, and I know type 4 parts are not cheap. I hope you do well selling these,
but I just think 5k is more than most people are willing to spend, even for a high
quality engine. Good luck
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 15 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Paul,
Its just very baffling to receive emails and PMs saying" Man if you can somehow do the 5K engine buy , I'd be in line yesterday".... Then all of a sudden it happens and ALL those peoploe are gone, won't reply to emails and don't open their wallets. I'm talking not one or two people, but at least 8! I don't know why I let it bother me, its the same thing that happened with the rod buy and other peple's group buys here.... To be told something and then basically lied to is more of an insult to me than about anything else.

fkelso,
If you read this post top to bottom you'll see that a lot of people said 5K was more than acceptable for an engine of this state of build. This is what Mark and I based the project on and it certainly hasn't went anywhere as of yet.

As far as being pissed off, well I'm not... This person is just plain ignorant to make an assumption of the price being way too high when he has no frigging clue what the kit entails or how long it takes to assemble the engine first hand..... If you think 5K is too much for this engine- you certainly don't need to own a car with a Porsche crest on the hood- go buy a damn Fiero! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pissoff.gif)
Rant off....

I do know that this time of year is financially draining so we are not giving up yet... Good weather and spring brings open wallets and guys that want power fast.... This kit will do that, so it may still be able to happen after the holidays... I hope so, but if not atleast Mark and I got to know each other better. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Dec 15 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #30

Cheaky Monkey

Member No.: 3,789
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 14 2005, 01:17 AM)
There's only one way to get a cheaper engine, build it yourself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And buy all the tools you need. And learn all the tricks there are. And exactly how long is that going to take? So, in reality, it's still not really cheaper.

I know $5k is a fair chunk of change (hell, I couldn't afford it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)) but in terms of the economy of it, it cannot be done any cheaper without compromising quality. And if you start compromising quality, what's the point?

I can understand that $5k is a lot of money, but if you're going to say it's not worth $5k or that the same engine could be built for cheaper, then I'm pissed off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) The profit margin on this project is very slim. I'm doing it because I thought there needed to be a relatively cheap option for 914 owners.

Whatever, now I'm pissed off. Maybe I should just start building them for free.

5,000 Dollars is alot of money for just about anyone. But I believe this engine will be worth it. As long as you have the offer open for a few more months, I will be calling!
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Dec 15 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #31

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

For anyone that needs an engine built right now, this looks like a great deal. But this is one project that most people won't undertake if their current engine is working. So I'm guessing that it's more an issue of timing. How many 914 rebuilds get done in a year, what percentage of those have enough money to even consider it, then of them, how many would rather do it themselves. This is definately a niche, but over time I think that quite a few people will take advantage of this deal. If I ever get another teener, this will be on my short list...

Eric
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 15 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #32

914 Freak!

Glad to hear guys. Thanks for the support.

We need to have a dyno day so people can realize how little power their cars have. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) It seems like most people with 2.0s quote their engines as 90 hp, yet low 80 is more realistic, and that'd only be for a brand new motor. I bet there's plenty of mileage motors with old D-Jet are probably pushing out more like 70 hp or less. So we're talking about almost a double in horsepower for those people with "good running" stock 2.0 motors. Talk about an upgrade.
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Dec 15 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #33

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719

I noticed how much enthusiam was stirred by the Suby donut video thread, which was impressive. Maybe you could do some visual marketing with a before and after quarter mile at your local strip on their run what ya brung day.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 16 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

The $500 discount engine has been claimed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
chrisg
post Dec 17 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,455

curious what specs (ignition, exhuast, etc.) were for dyno graph engine.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 17 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #36

914 Freak!

40 IDF carbs, Mallory distributor, 2.0 SSI heater boxes, and 2.0 914 heads..

Either carbs of aftermarket EFI will give these numbers. Stock FI will suck the power out of it because of the cam it requires.

The stock distributor's advance curve is matched to the stock FI, so upgrading the carbs or aftermarket EFI means that the advance curve is no longer ideal. The Mallory has a much better advance curve for those induction systems.

2.0 heater boxes (SSI or stock) flow better than 1.7 boxes, and the SSI flows better than stock. So 1.7 is the worst, 2.0 stock is next, and the best is 2.0 SSIs.

And finally, the 2.0 914 head has bigger valves, a nice combustion chamber design and a much better spark plug angle.

None of this stuff is crazy parts to "stack the dyno". These are all commonly recommended parts that tons of people are using to increase the power from their engines.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 18 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #37

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You couldn't have posted this in the general forum! Either that or I work too much and missed! This is the first I saw this!

Congrats Mark and Jake on your new venture!

I'm posting a link in the general forum. If the admins want to move it let them! This is news worthy!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 18 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Rick, I couldn't post it there myself in good conscience. Gotta follow the rules of the forum, right? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Thanks for the link. The interest is growing. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Dec 18 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 3,795

i've been on the phone with jake since last friday and i think he alluded to this deal... but didn't lead me there.
but if i had seen it before this moment, i would have seriously considered it, probably jumped on it.

i have to take my little one sledding, but i'll send off a pm w/questions to you later, mcmark.

i think it's great news for those in need!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 18 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #40

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

I didn't read this thread till Rick posted the crossover thread. Sounds like a deal...too bad about the timing (for me)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:55 AM