Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The $5k Engine, It's real.
IanStott
post Dec 20 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,199

Seriously interested Mark, should I PM you/phone you/send a post card/?? Have even taken on an extra job solely to fund 914 stuff!!! Btw are you going to have another show this coming year?

Ian Stott
Moncton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 21 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #42

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

PM me or give me a call at 707-738-5686. Or post cards are nice. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 21 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I hope you continue to get interest in these engine packages...seem like a good deal. Especially knowing that the specs on that engine were SSI HE's and webber 40 carbs!

Like one of the others, I have recently bought a house and will have to wait till after my garage construction project to get serious about an engine. If you are still going it by then I'll give you a buzz.

Would this engine work with Dell 45s? I have a set, along with some webber 40's...hmmmm.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) for doing this, just hope it's still around once I drop a few scores of thousands of dollars on a garage.

Also, for those that think $5k is a lot for an engine...how about $2200 for a timing belt change (with the seals, tensioners, etc) and 60k service on an audi! And that's the best deal and best guys in the area! German cars ain't cheap and good parts are getting more expensive by the DAY.
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Dec 21 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 1,266

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 21 2005, 10:28 AM)
I hope you continue to get interest in these engine packages...seem like a good deal...Like one of the others, I have recently bought a house...

Brother I know what you mean about buying a house! We purchased a second home, 200 miles away in Central California, and they do eat up a lot of money that would usually go to more "recreational" projects. We were originally going to rent out this second home but have decided not to since the wife is having too much fun decorating it to risk damage from renters; the long drive, hauling furniture and stuff, all that way just to get to work on a house gets to be sooooo much fun...!

Ron
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 22 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #45

914 Freak!

I'll still be offering them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) I expect things will ramp up after christmas. And I have a few other things in the works as well. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

I also know as soon as the first person, who isn't me, posts about how mind blowing 125 hp is in a 914, there will be more interest. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 22 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #46

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

I wish there was one local for me to ride in...
I did ride in a modded Beatle with a local guy, was shocked when he took off! Can't remember off hand but it 'only' had 130-135hp..and it felt better than a friends 99 mustang GT...if that really means anything, haha.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 22 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #47

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Mark and Jake,

Your $5k engine sounds like a winner. While I'm not looking for an engine right now, I hope you both are still pumping them out when I am looking to buy one.

Good luck you guys!

Rob Ways

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 23 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Dec 22 2005, 08:29 PM)
Mark and Jake,

Your $5k engine sounds like a winner. While I'm not looking for an engine right now, I hope you both are still pumping them out when I am looking to buy one.

Good luck you guys!

Rob Ways

My thoughts exactly...in fact I've got $5K burning a hole in me pocket right now and it's VERY tempting to just hand it over to McMark. But I think I better do the "adult" thing and pay off our Boxster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Hang in there guys, the orders will happen over time.

pete
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 23 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #49

914 Freak!

Who wants to be an adult? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 23 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #50

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

Mark,
I am trying to decide if I want to attempt a build with one of Jake's 2056 Kits or have one of these 5K motors built.
Can you expand on what is exactly included with the 5K motor?
does it include dropping the old and installing the new or is just for the motor (self installed)? I have a stock running 74 2.0L to use for the core.
I would like to use injection but don't want to go thru the hassle of rebuild and be stuck losing 15-20 hp staying with stock injection. Thoughts?
If you would like to PM me that is fine. If I decided to go with the 5K motor about how long before the build could be done?

Many thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I think it is great you and Jake are making this available.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 23 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #51

914 Freak!

The $5k motor price is a longblock.

No tin, no carbs, no ignition, no exhaust, and no installation. This sounds very negative, but I just want to be absolutely clear. The price of parts is the majority of the cost, so there's hardly any margin on it. A quality engine just can't be built any cheaper without compromise and there is no room for extras.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 23 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #52

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

"The $5k motor price is a longblock.

No tin, no carbs, no ignition, no exhaust, and no installation. This sounds very negative, but I just want to be absolutely clear. The price of parts is the majority of the cost, so there's hardly any margin on it. A quality engine just can't be built any cheaper without compromise and there is no room for extras."

Ok all that is fine. I have all of that. Now what specific parts and services are included?

Also if I want the maximum HP available from this build what induction and ignition would be suggested?
If I decided to stay with the stock injection and ignition would that work effectively without major drivability issues? And run cool?
Thanks
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 23 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #53

914 Freak!

Here's what's included:

• Rebuilt set of crank and rods
  • Fully balanced rotating assembly that has been balance one step above what's normally available in his kits
  • New pistons, rings, cylinders
  • Fully rebuilt heads with all new parts that are modified by Jake (new special seats, new special guides, new valves, new springs, new retainers, new keepers, any cracks repaired)
  • New hardware kit
  • New cam and Jake's custom lifters that work
  • Custom pushrods
  • New clutch disk and pressure plate
+Quote Post
YksKrad
post Dec 24 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 3,602
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Hammy @ Dec 12 2005, 08:03 AM)
now Jake... give it time. I'm interested and Mark and i have been discussing engine details.

Agreed, I'm interested, but just dropped a good portion of my savings into my daily driver... And I'd like to try to build up my own before I buy one.

I met a guy who just roached a converted bug, so I'll send him this way if I see him anytime soon. I'm not sure if he's looking into a new motor or if he has the funds, but I'll pass the word allong, seems like a great deal as far as I'm concerned.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 27 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 1,073

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 17 2005, 09:38 AM)
40 IDF carbs, Mallory distributor, 2.0 SSI heater boxes, and 2.0 914 heads..

Either carbs of aftermarket EFI will give these numbers. Stock FI will suck the power out of it because of the cam it requires.

The stock distributor's advance curve is matched to the stock FI, so upgrading the carbs or aftermarket EFI means that the advance curve is no longer ideal. The Mallory has a much better advance curve for those induction systems.

2.0 heater boxes (SSI or stock) flow better than 1.7 boxes, and the SSI flows better than stock. So 1.7 is the worst, 2.0 stock is next, and the best is 2.0 SSIs.

And finally, the 2.0 914 head has bigger valves, a nice combustion chamber design and a much better spark plug angle.

None of this stuff is crazy parts to "stack the dyno". These are all commonly recommended parts that tons of people are using to increase the power from their engines.

Sounds like a nice engine. I had one of similar power in my 914 and constantly harrassed 200+hp 911s at the track and autocross courses.

A couple of questions I have is, besides the "longblock" that is the basis of this motor, do you have any estimates for the rest of the stuff needed to complete the motor. I don't have a core motor.. nothing. I am looking for a complete motor for "plug and play" purposes. If this motor is 5K, carbs, distributor, starter blah blah.. is this, for me, really an $8k motor? all for my $4k "roller". ouch.

Not slighting the product, just suprised how quickly the $$ can add up.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 27 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #56

914 Freak!

Longblock - $5500 (no core)
Distributor (Mallory) - $350
Carbs/FI - $1000

Now just add exhaust and a few misc items (tin, fan housing, etc).

So total would be $7000-$7500 depending on options.
But you could get the 1911 which doesn't need a core for $1000 less.
The price adds up very quickly when you have to start completely from scratch.

The cost of a quality engine will be more than most people bought their cars for, but these parts for these engines are not cheap and anything that costs less than this is cutting corners somewhere.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Dec 31 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #57

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

WOW! I just stumbled across this because I saw the link in Mark's signature. I'm in the "where were you a year ago" camp, but I want to say that I think this is a great offering.

I just finished rebuilding a 2.0L. My goal was to run stock D-Jet FI, but have slightly higher compression & better cam to get a little more HP while still running regular fuel. I used Euro flat-top pistons, got the cam I wanted, had to learn how to cc my heads so I could get the right barrel spacers from Jake to set the deck height for 8.1:1 compression. Jake never actually offered his kit of sealants in his online store so I had to figure out on my own what to use. I finally totalled my parts costs after the engine was installed and came up with $3200.

The engine seems to run great and doesn't leak a drop of oil, but I'm running mid-grade fuel because after only 500 miles I had run-on problems after shutting off the engine and switching from regular to mid-grade has stopped this, but at a cost of $.10 more per gallon. So the bottom line for me is that although I think I did well, and I enjoyed building the engine myself, I'm left with some nagging thoughts about some of the design decisions that I made and wondering if I should have done things differently.

Based on my experience, the next time I have a need for a Type IV engine, I'm going to be calling Mark. To get the proven DESIGN that Jake is offering, not to mention not having to invest the time involved in building the long block, is well worth it. Yes $5,000 is a good sized chunk of change, but the additional $1,800 is well worth it for knowing that you have a proven design that will last.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Dec 31 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #58

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

I also just ran across this and timing is wrong for me as I am down the path (somewhat errantly) with another builder, but I have some questions as well.

What will the warranty be on these?
What will you be advertising as build times?
No external oil cooler required?
Will you be offering installs?
Terms?

Good luck with this Mark. Nice to see you step up to the plate. Be patient! Customer service is everything.
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Dec 31 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 3,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My 1.8 liter is developing some engine noise. and I would love to have 125hp. Actually sounds like a dream....

Just finished doing a trans rebuild and can't imagine dumping that kind of change on her (5k$).

I have had this car about 10 yrs and although I am attatched to her I still must be honest.

emotions aside. The resale value of my girl in know way warrants such an expenditure. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

I think that a used boxter is looking really good when you start pushing the 10k range in a 914 plus my own labor. Especially with the resale value again.

But all being said when mine finally goes I'll probably break down sobbing and call you however. That is after finding a 2.0 ltr organ doner (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 1 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #60

914 Freak!

QUOTE(ppickerell @ Dec 31 2005, 11:46 AM)
What will the warranty be on these?
What will you be advertising as build times?
No external oil cooler required?
Will you be offering installs?
Terms?

Patrick,

I'm not exactly sure what I will be advertising as a warranty. But I will be standing behind my work, as always. I know that people want to see a number to boost their confidence. I would be interested to know what people think is fair. I was thinking a 6-month, 6k mile limited warranty.

My build time quotes will become more accurate as I get settled into the process of ordering and getting the heads rebuilt. I've never done this sort of "mass-produced" engine building before. I expect the whole process from placing the order to delivery to take two months. I'm being conservative here because I don't want to over promise myself from the get-go.

External oil cooler requirements will be similar to stock engines. It's conceivable that members who live in very hot climates might need an extra cooler. But most will not.

Yes, I will be offering installs.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by terms. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I've added a bunch of pages to my web site for the engines.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:44 PM