Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slant Nose Turn Signals, I need ideas
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 21 2003, 08:24 PM
Post #21

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

The whole idea of front turn signal lights is that you want to be seen by other drivers especially those along side of you, when you are signalling to turn.

A teeny tiny light hidden behind a low grille, or one that is only visible by someone in front of you from their rear view mirror, or by someone low to the ground (foglight grille mounted) doesn't cut it. Without legal lights you run a great risk in A.) causing an accident because the other vehicle you collided with didnt see your turn signal, and B.) getting cited requiring a legal light anyway.

You're gonna have trouble finding a solution that will not destroy those very cool slant nose lines, but it can be done if you take your time.

In addition to a legal front corner mounted turn signal light VISIBLE from the side, I would look seriously at the blinking sidemarker lights common to most/all euro cars now, even in the US, where they are side mounted to the panel behind the wheel arch and the leading edge or gap.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty
post Aug 21 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #22

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

So how about cutting the nose slant style like one o' them thar Ferrari Daytonas? Somebody's parts bin has gotta have something that will work and look good (or you could find someone to fab it).

What did those old chalon kits do?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Oh. Missed it on the first page...d@mn my short attention span. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
V
V
V
V
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 22 2003, 07:01 AM
Post #23

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

chalon kits used a 911 style bumper. Andy posted a pic of one earlier.
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Aug 22 2003, 09:13 AM
Post #24

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

A front light and then a sidemarker would be great. I need to start looking at some cars and see what I come up with.

Most cars have the signals flush mounted into the fender which makes this a shade more complicated.

Thanks for all the tips!

Tom
+Quote Post
fiid
post Aug 22 2003, 09:19 AM
Post #25

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

With regard to needing front turn signals for legal and safety reasons, I would counter that if you are in California, they are not needed at all. I would say that 70-80% of maneuvers on the road that I see are unsignalled. Even the police (at least in san fran) don't signal most of the time. So you'll probably be fine with them hidden in the grille. (which would look cool, but would be tricky to see.

It's not like the tiny chick in the Ford Explorer who is on the phone and doing her hair actually cares that she's about to take you out with her 6 tonnes of iron anyway - she'll be fine unless she hit's a truck.

I am seriously starting to believe that modern BMWs have Lucas systems for their turn signals, since they have an even lower rate of function. :-)

Until we get a real driving test (or some real cops) I don't think this will improve, either.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)

You could you put a small row of ultra bright LEDs in the windscreen, either at the top or the bottom, in addition. This would be very obvious and eye-catching.
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 22 2003, 09:37 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 184

the blinkers in the exterior rear view mirrors is effective. it would be a tough cookie to wire and produce on a teener. who had that cnc machine?
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Aug 22 2003, 09:53 AM
Post #27

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 22 2003, 07:19 AM)
It's not like the tiny chick in the Ford Explorer who is on the phone and doing her hair actually cares that she's about to take you out with her 6 tonnes of iron anyway - she'll be fine unless she hit's a truck.

You could you put a small row of ultra bright LEDs in the windscreen, either at the top or the bottom, in addition. This would be very obvious and eye-catching.

You make a very good point. I could just drive around smoking a cig, talking on the phone, and giving everyone the finger. I commute to work a total of 60 miles a day. I see a lot of interesting things.

The mirror idea is good, I just need to get side mirrors mounted first... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) LOL

Later,
Tom
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 22 2003, 10:02 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 184

i drove the teener for two years italian style (without the inside rear view). duplicating the mirror on the cnc with leds in the front and then paint it off yellow to match your car. very stealthy.
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Aug 22 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #29

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

You can buy aftermarket side view mirrors with the light built in now. This example probably won't work for the 914, but I'm sure there are other examples out there.

I know for example that when my younger brother was looking into ricing out his Nissan Altima, he purchased a side marker kit for a MB ML320 from the MB dealer which was almost a direct plug-in to make his side markers clear instead of amber. Cost was $10.

If you wanted side blinkers in your side view mirrors, you could probably do the same thing.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 22 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #30

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Tom,

Here is what you need.

LIGHTED SPORT MIRROR
Light can be wired to function as running light, turn signal, etc.
4 interchangeable colored bulbs included: blue, green, amber, clear
Universal mount—fits driver's or passenger's side
Fully adjustable. Flag-style black ABS plastic head with flat mirror glass. Black rubber boot covers bracket. Instructions included.

Available from our friends at J.C. Whitney for $ 19.95 each.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 02:42 PM