Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not all clueless sellers are on Ebay, I'm surrounded by idiots
airsix
post Aug 22 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #1

I have bees in my epiglotis

Group: Members
Member No.: 266

The only used car dealer in town that sells nice stuff is within viewing distance of my office. So today I notice a middle-year 911 in the lot. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a lot full of late high-end stuff. So I call. Who knows. Maybe it's been updated with a 3.0 or has had extra good care. It's a '77 (last year of the 2.7 if you were wondering). It's a little ratty around the edges. Could use new paint. THEY WANT $14,000!!!! I stopped short of telling them that was the best joke I'd hear all week.
-Ben M.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Carl
post Aug 22 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

I stopped short of telling them that was the best joke I'd hear all week.

Good thing if your window's within slingshot distance of the lot.

4 months ago I sold a '78 SC 3.0 Targa for $13,500 and it had really good paint, which pretty well makes your point. That was at the high end of the local market at the time.

Carl
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 22 2003, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

I saw the same kind of deal in a decrepit used car lot in Oklahoma last year. Mid 70's car. Black, two color changes beneath the black orange peel paint, missing some seals, ratty interior, crappy tint.

When I went in to ask, he told me 21k. I asked if it had a 3.6 or something. No, the motor was a "very strong rebuilt" 2.7 (from all the work, sounded like the PO hand grenaded it).

I actually laughed, and this old guy told me I didn't know what I was talking about. I opened my wallet, showed him my PCA and Rennlist cards... and then walked outside. As I was walking out the door, he called after me, "Is that a real 914-6?"

I kept walking and drove away without another word. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 22 2003, 05:13 PM
Post #4

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Carl @ Aug 22 2003, 03:06 PM)
I stopped short of telling them that was the best joke I'd hear all week.

Good thing if your window's within slingshot distance of the lot.

4 months ago I sold a '78 SC 3.0 Targa for $13,500 and it had really good paint, which pretty well makes your point. That was at the high end of the local market at the time.

Carl

Yeah, I think $14,000 for a really nice SC is fair.

Just to drive the point home this was a high-mile 2.7 with no updates. Uh-oh, there I go laughing outloud again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The humor almost makes up for me having to put the roof on the 914 today for the first time since April.
-Ben M.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Aug 22 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #5

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

QUOTE(airsix @ Aug 22 2003, 02:56 PM)
I notice a middle-year 911 in the lot..... It's a little ratty around the edges. Could use new paint. THEY WANT $14,000!!!!

"It's a PORCH." (one syllable)

"14 k. That's a bargain for this car.
These things are rare buddy."

Says the guy with plaid pants and bad breath.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Aug 22 2003, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

a used car dealership in my town (stockton) has a 73' 914 1.7, and they want $6500, too rich for my blood. plus i dont think its worth it, although it is in good condition.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Aug 23 2003, 05:55 AM
Post #7

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

Gotta laugh at the clueless seller but feel sorry for the clueless buyers. There are more than a few people out there who will think this car is a deal because "those Porches go for 30 or 40 thousand". Then they'll show up at a shop or dealer to get that "muffler leak" fixed, "$7000??, magnesium case, whats that?"
A few months back a guy brought a mid '80's Carrera into the shop for a wiring problem. 100K + miles, body damage, bad paint, wasted interior, tired leaky engine, junk tires on curbed wheels and so on. Had just paid 15K!!

Barnum was right: "There's a sucker born every minute" And the car dealers know it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 01:58 AM