Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not all clueless sellers are on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
The only used car dealer in town that sells nice stuff is within viewing distance of my office. So today I notice a middle-year 911 in the lot. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a lot full of late high-end stuff. So I call. Who knows. Maybe it's been updated with a 3.0 or has had extra good care. It's a '77 (last year of the 2.7 if you were wondering). It's a little ratty around the edges. Could use new paint. THEY WANT $14,000!!!! I stopped short of telling them that was the best joke I'd hear all week.
-Ben M.
Carl
I stopped short of telling them that was the best joke I'd hear all week.

Good thing if your window's within slingshot distance of the lot.

4 months ago I sold a '78 SC 3.0 Targa for $13,500 and it had really good paint, which pretty well makes your point. That was at the high end of the local market at the time.

Carl
Lawrence
I saw the same kind of deal in a decrepit used car lot in Oklahoma last year. Mid 70's car. Black, two color changes beneath the black orange peel paint, missing some seals, ratty interior, crappy tint.

When I went in to ask, he told me 21k. I asked if it had a 3.6 or something. No, the motor was a "very strong rebuilt" 2.7 (from all the work, sounded like the PO hand grenaded it).

I actually laughed, and this old guy told me I didn't know what I was talking about. I opened my wallet, showed him my PCA and Rennlist cards... and then walked outside. As I was walking out the door, he called after me, "Is that a real 914-6?"

I kept walking and drove away without another word. finger.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Carl @ Aug 22 2003, 03:06 PM)
I stopped short of telling them that was the best joke I'd hear all week.

Good thing if your window's within slingshot distance of the lot.

4 months ago I sold a '78 SC 3.0 Targa for $13,500 and it had really good paint, which pretty well makes your point. That was at the high end of the local market at the time.

Carl

Yeah, I think $14,000 for a really nice SC is fair.

Just to drive the point home this was a high-mile 2.7 with no updates. Uh-oh, there I go laughing outloud again. laugh.gif

The humor almost makes up for me having to put the roof on the 914 today for the first time since April.
-Ben M.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(airsix @ Aug 22 2003, 02:56 PM)
I notice a middle-year 911 in the lot..... It's a little ratty around the edges. Could use new paint. THEY WANT $14,000!!!!

"It's a PORCH." (one syllable)

"14 k. That's a bargain for this car.
These things are rare buddy."

Says the guy with plaid pants and bad breath.
biosurfer1
a used car dealership in my town (stockton) has a 73' 914 1.7, and they want $6500, too rich for my blood. plus i dont think its worth it, although it is in good condition.
ejm
Gotta laugh at the clueless seller but feel sorry for the clueless buyers. There are more than a few people out there who will think this car is a deal because "those Porches go for 30 or 40 thousand". Then they'll show up at a shop or dealer to get that "muffler leak" fixed, "$7000??, magnesium case, whats that?"
A few months back a guy brought a mid '80's Carrera into the shop for a wiring problem. 100K + miles, body damage, bad paint, wasted interior, tired leaky engine, junk tires on curbed wheels and so on. Had just paid 15K!!

Barnum was right: "There's a sucker born every minute" And the car dealers know it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.